Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Back Home Checklist; Whats Required??

Moving Back Home Checklist; Whats Required??

Old May 22nd 2019, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

albion_exile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Back Home Checklist; Whats Required??

Check Revenue Canada rules carefully. Start here: https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/living-abroad/taxation
Canada taxes on worldwide income. If you retain a strong connection with Canada they will still want their pound of loonies.

There's also rules for capital gains, deemed disposition of property, etc.

A friend in your situation put all his stuff in storage to follow afterwards, "took the cure", then returned to Canada six months later. (Not saying this applies in your case, but if you have a significant amount of personal stuff you may want to check out storage rates here vs there etc).

Last edited by albion_exile; May 22nd 2019 at 4:13 pm.
Old May 23rd 2019, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Folks,

Thank you so much for all your kind and useful comments with our current situation. Its not easy thats for sure!! We sat around the kitchen table as a family and had a discussion about things and the general consensus was that both wife and kids wanted to return home for multiple reasons.
We have given it a go and yes there has been huge costs involved both mentally and physically but as a family we have stayed together and grew stronger.
For sure I would like to have stayed longer and obtained my citizenship as it makes complete sense in terms of opportunities or options in the future however if prolonging our stay in Canada was to affect relationships within our family unit then I wont do that.
This has been a great experience for us and one that we will reflect on for a long time in fact it will give the kids a much broader outlook on life which we hope they will be able to draw on long into the future.
Everyone here on BEP has been amazing and we would like to thank you very much for your help!!

Kind Regards

Farmboy and Family
Old May 23rd 2019, 4:59 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck.

i think you’ve given it the correct amount of time.
Old May 24th 2019, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Good luck.

i think you’ve given it the correct amount of time.
I agree - you have given it a good shot, had a great adventure, and now you need to do what works best for your family and you. I wish you every happiness and success in the future.
Old May 25th 2019, 12:45 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...emigrants.html