Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving Back Home Checklist; Whats Required??

Moving Back Home Checklist; Whats Required??

Old May 9th 2019, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving Back Home Checklist; Whats Required??

Good Afternoon Folks,

It looks like after 2.5 years here in Ontario that things just arent working out
My wife is quite unhappy (she has a big family network at home, I do not) and the kids are not enjoying the school system. There maybe opportunities on the horizon for me so I wanted to start a check list into what all needs checked off in order to return home should it actually happen.
We are renting our home here in Ontario so that will be easy enough to sort out but there are other things like; (in no particular order)
  1. Permanent Residency - I presume we dont need to do anything here until it comes up for renewal. I think it would be wise to keep this status for us all going forward as you never know what happens. We have heard of people moving back and forward.
  2. Drivers licencing etc
  3. OHIP Health Cards?
  4. Our vehicle is a lease. Is a lease take over a good idea or what has anyone's experience been?
  5. Cancelling mobile phone plans. Seemed like a good deal at the time in terms of data and minutes as it is very expensive here in Canada in comparison to the UK but the most likely scenario will be that we have to pay the remainder of the contract off to get out?
  6. We brought our dog with us. she traveled in our crate with a third party carrier. I hope we can ship her back the same way?
  7. We moved with Pickfords International. Can anyone recommend who they moved back with?
  8. Banking- Is it a good move to keep a bank account open? I wouldn't want to be paying a monthly account fee though.
  9. We have just completed our tax returns but i presume you have to let CRA know that you are moving back?

These are just a number of things that I could think off. I am sure you will have a lot more.
We would appreciate any helpful tips and advice as I am sure many people have been down this path before.

Many Thanks

Farmboy
Old May 9th 2019, 6:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back Home Checklist; Whats Required??

It's not a case of being "up for renewal" you are required to meet the residency requirements during each 5 year rolling period, from the date of landing - that's 2 years out of every 5, and ongoing every 5 years thereafter.. failure to meet the residency requirement will result in you losing your PR status.

Would it be possible for you to wait until you could apply for Citizenship perhaps? Then at least you would be guaranteed you could return if you wished to...
For your cat: https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
You can find a lot of info about moving back to the UK in our MBTTUK forum - https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/

Last edited by Siouxie; May 9th 2019 at 6:51 pm.
Old May 9th 2019, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Farmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond reputeFarmboy1892 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Siouxie,

I knew there would be many twists and turns. Thank you for your input. I dont want to throw the status away at all. It took a lot to get it. Can I actually be a citizen of both Countries?
Today my Wife would say its not important but things change and it is better to have options!

Regards

Farmboy
Old May 9th 2019, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Farmboy1892
I dont want to throw the status away at all. It took a lot to get it. Can I actually be a citizen of both Countries?
Today my Wife would say its not important but things change and it is better to have options!
You can be a citizen of both, so provided you meet the residency requirements you can apply for citizenship. It takes about a year or so to process and complete the ceremony though.
Old May 9th 2019, 7:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, as above, you can all be dual citizens. But IIRC you were on a TWP to start with and only got PR fairly recently? So you may be a couple of years away from getting citizenship, I guess it will depend on how your wife feels about staying that long to get it? But check your dates and work out when you could apply, at least then you'll have an idea.

Good luck and sorry to hear it hasn't worked out.
Old May 9th 2019, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Christmas,

Yes you are correct PR in Jan 18. following TWP.
Asking my Wife today and the answer would be simple however, I prefer to assess all options 1st.
Thank you for all your help.

Regards

Farmboy
Old May 10th 2019, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Christmas,

Asking my Wife today and the answer would be simple however, I prefer to assess all options 1st.

Regards

Farmboy
So you started on TWP in January 17 and became PR in January 18? Earliest you could apply for citizenship would be June/July 2020 (depending on how many days you have spent outside of Canada). You can return to NI during citizenship process but you would have to be ready to travel back to Canada at very short notice to take citizenship test and attend oath ceremony. Current processing times are quoted as 12 months for citizenship. CIC have a presence calculator here

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do
Old May 10th 2019, 1:02 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Christmas,

Regards

Farmboy
How long were you here on a TWP prior to obtaining PR? Each day counts as half a day towards the time fir Citizenship .. up to 1 years worth - so 2 years on a TWP would equal 1 year towards the time required for Citizenship
each day you were physically present in Canada as an authorized temporary resident or protected person before you became a permanent resident counts as half a day (up to a maximum of 365 days);

each day you were physically present in Canada after you became a permanent resident counts as one day;

To be eligible under 5(1), since becoming a permanent resident, you must have:

been physically in Canada for at least 1,095 days in the five years before you apply
filed income taxes (if required by the Income Tax Act) for any three taxation years that are fully or partially within the five years before you apply
If you or your wife became a Citizen, the other would then retain their PR status as accompanying a Citizen if overseas.. just a thought!

Old May 10th 2019, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Siouxie,

All Great information. I received my TWP before arriving in Canada so Dec 17.
I just think it would be useful to have every option open going forward rather than just closing a door!!
I presume if my PR status expired that getting it back would be a long drawn out process again and also the need to have employment in Canada to return to?

Thanks

Farmboy
Old May 10th 2019, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I presume if my PR status expired that getting it back would be a long drawn out process again and also the need to have employment in Canada to return to?
If you lost your PR status, then you'd have to start from scratch. Whether or not you'd need a job offer would depend on various factors, not least the immigration programs in place at the time.
Old May 13th 2019, 10:52 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

1. Banking- Is it a good move to keep a bank account open? I wouldn't want to be paying a monthly account fee though.
You could always get one of the fee-free accounts. They tend to be a bit limiting in terms of services but could still provide what you need if all you want to do is keep some money in Canada or a basic financial account running in your absence.
Old May 17th 2019, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

thistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond reputethistlehollyberry has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about moving to a different part of Canada?
Old May 18th 2019, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Free banking with most credit unions or online only banks such as DUCA, Meridian, EQ Bank or Tangerine.

You won't get citizenship for several years. Can your wife and kids put up with Canada for that long.

You will need a pet passport or equivalent to bring the dog back to the UK

Britannia International Removals is a company I would recommend.

OHIP will be lost and you will have to wait 3 months if you return.

Driving licence is easy to swap between Canada and UK.

Good luck.

At the end of the day it's your family happiness that counts
Old May 18th 2019, 12:44 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

How old are your kids? Is it possible that your wife could go back home for a few weeks holiday on her own? I can fully understand that Canada can seem a pain from time to time, but if your wife is big time unhappy the kids are quite likely picking up on that too.

The leaving home, coming to Canada scenario is incredibly long and tiring and takes so much mental effort that it’s going to take a toll. I know there are a few people on here who have ping ponged a bit before finding themselves in a happy place.

If you could reach a compromise to try to stay as a happy and united team until you get Citizenship it would ensure you’ve got more choices in the future, and that all of the efforts you’ve made have a positive end result.

Have you thought about thistlehollyberries suggestion for moving to somewhere different? I know that I would have been happier had I not moved here, but it has been a real success for my family here, just not me personally as I just can’t hack the weather, it seriously effects me. We are planning to move to BC, where my husband is from in four years when my son finishes his first bit of uni and is independent...it’s a goal and gives us all something to work towards...might that be possible for your family with Citizenship?

Very best of luck finding what’s the best solution for all of you long term, it can be hellish working out what’s best
Old May 21st 2019, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to read this. I remember the excitement when you were planning your move here. But it's not for everybody. We're in a "lucky" position that we no longer have close family in the Uk and our friends have kind of moved on...so our life is here now and if we were ever to move back it would simply be because we miss the spring and old buildings. In fact with three out of four of the kids now in long term relationships with Canadian girls I guess we would in fact become home sick for Canada as that's where our family is.

Definitely if you can you should stay long enough to get citizenship. That way you can come back if you eve wanted to and for the kids it gives them options for when they grow up.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.