Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

MOVING BACK TO DURHAM ENGLAND -PROS/CONS ?

MOVING BACK TO DURHAM ENGLAND -PROS/CONS ?

Old Jun 10th 2011, 9:54 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MOVING BACK TO DURHAM ENGLAND -PROS/CONS ?

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
my personal opinion is even if the education system is better in the UK....for them to make a decent life for themselves in the future they are going to need a really well paid job to even get on the housing ladder let alone the cost of living.....British Gas has just announced an increase of almost 20% on their rates...and the rest of the utility's are said to be following suit!!!
I actually contemplated a move to Durham when I was living in Vancouver. Nice place, bit small. Long way from London and a bit close to Newcastle for my taste. Hence I ended up in Norwich.....
I do think living in a city in the UK with a decent sized uni makes a difference. Norwich without UEA would be pretty grim in lots of ways.
Schools are fine in UK. Schools are fine in Canada. I've been in a lot in both places. Really not that different.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
They live in Vancouver by the looks of things so this is a reality if they stay

but if they stay in Canada, the whole of Canada is their Lobster as they say!! (America too if they want too)
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I actually contemplated a move to Durham when I was living in Vancouver. Nice place, bit small. Long way from London and a bit close to Newcastle for my taste. Hence I ended up in Norwich.....
I do think living in a city in the UK with a decent sized uni makes a difference. Norwich without UEA would be pretty grim in lots of ways.
Schools are fine in UK. Schools are fine in Canada. I've been in a lot in both places. Really not that different.
Ahem.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:08 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Ahem.
Wondered if you would see that one. I do concede a night out in the Bigg Market is rather appealing.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Wondered if you would see that one. I do concede a night out in the Bigg Market is rather appealing.
You're out of date. The Quayside is the place these days.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Your out of date. The Quayside is the place these days.
I bow to your superior local knowledge. You should spend your summer there
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

krasy is an unknown quantity at this point

nowt wrong with newcastle fab city
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by krasy
nowt wrong with newcastle fab city
It even has a Waitrose. What has happened to the north??

And, to keep the thread on track, it seems they shut the one in Durham to open the one in Newcastle:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new..._in_newcastle/
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:31 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
but if they stay in Canada, the whole of Canada is their Lobster as they say!! (America too if they want too)
And if they move to England the whole of the UK and Europe is their lobster. Plus they'd have the added enjoyment of the family they're currently missing
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:35 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It even has a Waitrose. What has happened to the north??

And, to keep the thread on track, it seems they shut the one in Durham to open the one in Newcastle:

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new..._in_newcastle/

What's the point of having a north/south divide if they're not going to police it?
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:41 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
What's the point of having a north/south divide if they're not going to police it?
They have coupons up north. It's a fine line but it works.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:44 pm
Born again atheist

I bow to your superior local knowledge. You should spend your summer there
In actual fact I will be there for about a week. Or thereabouts. Probably not in the Bigg Market though.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:47 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Oink
I agree. Back in the day we had the Wilhelm Shearer Line just north of Durham Cathedral.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I actually contemplated a move to Durham when I was living in Vancouver. Nice place, bit small.
It is small. You can do a pub crawl from one edge of the city to the other in an evening. You would end completely blattered because there are a hell of a lot of pubs, but it is not far to walk.

You can also forget those memories of a quiet pint in a pub garden in the countryside. In Durham people take their drinking seriously. If you don't drink, get drunk, have a good fight then throw up all over the pavement it is hardly worth the bother of going out.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Having just moved from the Newcastle area, I would say stay in Canada, download an episode of Geordie Shore and you will find plenty of reasons not to go back (tongue in cheek). My main concern would be the kids education, they will be a year behind their age group in the UK and subjects such as Geography and History will be very different to what they have learnt here.

Durham is a beautiful city and I can see it's attractions if going back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.