Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back to Canada

Moving back to Canada

Old Mar 5th 2016, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Canada

Originally Posted by Bevm
...but we'll have to answer questions at immigration in Canada.
Everyone does.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 2:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
To me it's a bit strange how this varies from province to province - you would think it would be standard across the country.
Yes, basic healthcare is surely one of a few things that should be standardised across the nation.

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Not that strange when you consider that most government funding for healthcare comes from the provincial government.
To me that's just another example of strangeness.

There are examples of areas in the UK where a treatment is quicker than in another for example, but three months before qualifying in one place and instant in another?

Wouldn't this be the same as not allowing a place at school for three months in some provinces but not others?
Old Mar 5th 2016, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. In the UK they look at the passport and wave you through and then you can walk through the Nothing to Declare lane. In Canada, they always ask questions. On one trip we had a very suspicious immigration inspector. I'm not sure what she thought we two old geezers might be up to!

Anyway, don't we have to have our shipping manifest in hand? I read that somewhere. And then there's the agricultural inspection, or have they ceased that? Asking about garden tools and such?
All the manifest stuff is just if you are entering as PR iirc. You are citizens so just make sure your CDN passports are up to date (as of 15th March 2016 you cannot enter Canada on your UK passport as a dual UK/Canada citizen due to eTA coming into force - you need a Canadian passport.)
Old Mar 5th 2016, 9:41 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
All the manifest stuff is just if you are entering as PR iirc. You are citizens so just make sure your CDN passports are up to date (as of 15th March 2016 you cannot enter Canada on your UK passport as a dual UK/Canada citizen due to eTA coming into force - you need a Canadian passport.)
Really? I read about this and it doesn't say anything about citizens, dual or otherwise. We recently visited Canada on our UK passports for simplicity, and had no problems. Mind you, I see they've extended the eTA requirement until August.

But I'm not sure how they could keep out a citizen, even if they didn't have a Canadian passport, if they had their citizenship documents.

Thanks for mentioning it. It's these little details that can be important.

Last edited by Bevm; Mar 5th 2016 at 9:42 pm. Reason: addition
Old Mar 5th 2016, 9:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I read about this and it doesn't say anything about citizens, dual or otherwise. We recently visited Canada on our UK passports for simplicity, and had no problems. Mind you, I see they've extended the eTA requirement until August.

But I'm not sure how they could keep out a citizen, even if they didn't have a Canadian passport, if they had their citizenship documents.

Thanks for mentioning it. It's these little details that can be important.
Two things:

The problem is not getting into Canada. If you are a citizen you are in. The problem is persuading the airline to let you board a plane to Canada.

There are customs procedures for former residents that are not all that different from new PRs.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 10:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Two things:

The problem is not getting into Canada. If you are a citizen you are in. The problem is persuading the airline to let you board a plane to Canada.

There are customs procedures for former residents that are not all that different from new PRs.
Who'd want to?
Old Mar 6th 2016, 11:15 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Two things:

I understand what you're saying, but I've looked over things and the problems seem to crop up with recently purchased high value items. We're mostly taking back what we brought over, plus a few replacement computers, not bought recently.

But thanks for the warning. I'll double check with Customs and Immigration.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you're saying, but I've looked over things and the problems seem to crop up with recently purchased high value items. We're mostly taking back what we brought over, plus a few replacement computers, not bought recently.

Did you have an issue bringing those into the UK as a Brit? If not, you won't have an issue bringing them back into Canada as a Canadian. The laptops won't be a problem.
Old Mar 6th 2016, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read this link regarding Former Residents returning to Canada to live
D2-3-2 Memorandum - Former Residents of Canada – Tariff Item No. 9805.00.00
Old Mar 6th 2016, 6:12 pm
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Read this link regarding Former Residents returning to Canada to live
D2-3-2 Memorandum - Former Residents of Canada – Tariff Item No. 9805.00.00
Thanks. That was useful.

I don't really see any problem with household goods that we are returning to Canada plus a few items bought here that we've owned for many years. But we'll be sure to itemize everything and have the purchase records!

Has anyone here actually gone through this? It would be useful to have a first-hand account.