Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Hubby is in the SE of England this week as he had to take a trip back and he cant wait to return (to me of course )
Anyway, his comments have been:
Poor
Noisy
Claustrophobic
Dirty
Miserable

Now NS can feel poor to me sometimes and I questioned this in relation to his "poor" comment and he said "No it feels so poor, so many shops shutting down and absolutely miserable"
Apart from a few streets here and there in a few cities, the whole of Canada 'feels' poor when compared to the UK, Germany or Northern Europe.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Language issue?
Oh Im sure a few Brits might not understand the Newfies when they get into full flow on a night out on George St.
A bit like putting a scouser and geordie together and using a cockney as a translator.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:19 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Yes i have. I enjoyed it as much as i did when i lived there. My friends and family are doing very well, their kids are getting a great education and are very happy also.

I also don't take much notice of sensationalist media reports either.

The actual unemployment figures speak for themselves too.
her perspective is directly linked to what is happening to the uk police forces. Winsor is effectively destroying morale in the UK police forces, and cutting back resources to what they were in the 1970's.

I would never be a copper in the UK. Pay is crap, working conditions terrible....have to work for ever to get a pension....have to pay in 11 percent to the pension scheme....

One's views of a place will be directly impacted by ones experiences with it.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:20 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Apart from a few streets here and there in a few cities, the whole of Canada 'feels' poor when compared to the UK, Germany or Northern Europe.
spent much time in the north west?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm sure - the difference is that I also lived and worked full time in Canada for 7 years, bought a house there, had 2 kids there, became a PR and then a citizen, etc.
Oh for sure that certainly gives a good grounding on living in a place.

My comment was primarily based on the reply that lovely visits (non residential living) don't give a realistic picture. That reply implied; with the changing of time people lose touch. I'm sure in 14yrs Canada may have changed as a place to live and not living there full time may help distort a persons view on a place.

I know Vancouver has changed (imo) since i started coming here years ago.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
her perspective is directly linked to what is happening to the uk police forces. Winsor is effectively destroying morale in the UK police forces, and cutting back resources to what they were in the 1970's.

I would never be a copper in the UK. Pay is crap, working conditions terrible....have to work for ever to get a pension....have to pay in 11 percent to the pension scheme....

One's views of a place will be directly impacted by ones experiences with it.
Oh of course personal perception is everything. My comment was based on the generalised input that the "UK" is grimm, falling to pieces, unemployment is a mess, etc.

I really wish people would be more specific on their rants otherwise it gets confusing.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by ann m
I presume your PR is still valid - and/or did you get citizenship?

If he wants to, can your husband join a NS police force? If yes, will he have to pay for training?

If no, what else will he/you guys do to earn your living? I'd say the employment bit is way more important than the school bit.

In the meantime, the UK system usually HAS to offer a school place for your daughter. However, if she is already 16, maybe they don't have to offer her something and have a "get out" clause - but they should clarify this with you.

If she would be due to take GCSE's this Spring, she is obviously not ready for that. What options have the Education Board offered you? Can she enrol in a college for September and take the GCSE courses then? You shouldn't have to pay anything, I don't think (and she could be doing some work towards them now if you can get hold of syllabus) - and then she might be ready to take a whole swathe of GCSE's in one academic year and take them in Spring 2013. Just a thought.
outside of halifax, NS is RCMP, and it is very, very difficult to get a posting there. I'd say pretty much impossible. Given the few positions, and lower cost of living, members don't leave there.

Not sure on the situation with Halifax, but NS is general would not be a good place to enter into Law Enforcement. Alberta would be better.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way that UK is generalised a chav-infested hell and in the next breath posters ask how they can watch Eastenders/Corrie/Insert-name-of-vapid-pointless-talent-show-here in Canada. Is it to sneer from afar or to keep in touch with all that is good about the motherland?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:34 pm
Banned

Oh of course personal perception is everything. My comment was based on the generalised input that the "UK" is grimm, falling to pieces, unemployment is a mess, etc.

I really wish people would be more specific on their rants otherwise it gets confusing.
yes, many do the same about Canada though...the generalized crap i hear on BE is laughable....only a few nice streets....loved that one. Fortunately i live on one, so i guess there are about 2 more up for grabs
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

yes, many do the same about Canada though...the generalized crap i hear on BE is laughable....only a few nice streets....loved that one. Fortunately i live on one, so i guess there are about 2 more up for grabs
Wasn't that your street in the picture you posted? If so there are thousands up for grabs.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for sure that certainly gives a good grounding on living in a place.

My comment was primarily based on the reply that lovely visits (non residential living) don't give a realistic picture. That reply implied; with the changing of time people lose touch. I'm sure in 14yrs Canada may have changed as a place to live and not living there full time may help distort a persons view on a place.

I know Vancouver has changed (imo) since i started coming here years ago.
Absolutely agree. People tend to remember somewhere as it was when they last lived or visited there. The same could be said of UK expats when they post views on the UK.

I've gone back to Canada often over the years (not just for visits but also extended stays for work) and I have seen big changes since I lived there full time. For example, Toronto has changed a lot. There's a lot of new construction (especially down by the lake) and the demographics have also changed. There have been lots of other changes and there will be more. Today's Dundas Square wasn't there when I lived there. The Air Canada Centre (and associated development) wasn't there and the Leafs were still playing in MLG. However, change is inevitable. Toronto changed a lot over the years before I got there (thank goodness because I don't think I would have liked "Toronto The Good"), changed while I was there and will continue to change whether I'm there or not.

Similarly I have noticed changes in the UK. Like Canada, it's not the same country that I left. However, I keep up to date with current events and I feel that I still know enough about living and working in both countries to be able to comment on them or help other people who have questions. I probably know more about Canada than the UK simply because I'm closer to Canada and visit it much more often (e.g. my daughter now lives there, my company has offices there, etc.).
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wasn't that your street in the picture you posted? If so there are thousands up for grabs.

we all know what a clever person you are with nothing better to do apart form poking the bears through the bars ....now go and do what i asked you to do.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

....now go and do what i asked you to do.

Are you referring to the content of your abusive private mail? If so, I had a bit of a giggle at it but can't be certain that I've complied due to obscenity scanner having got at it. Thank you for thought anyway,
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

NovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really niceNovaBlues is just really nice

The UK really isn't in a mess in comparison to so many other places at the moment. Our make do and mend attitude is carrying us through and I have found being back here completely refreshing and much better than when we had left.

Nova Scotia was a depressing place for 7 months of the year and ok for 5 months and that wasn't enough for us. We want things open 12 months of the year and access to a wide variety of culture, heritage and things other than ice hockey and Tim Hortons!

We are happy to be back here in England and our standard of living is better. It's all subjective though and you have to try to see what works for you.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

GandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant futureGandH has a brilliant future

For what it is worth everywhere has good and bad points, OK some place are beyond redemption (i.e. downtown Kabul) but in the main everywhere has good and bad places. You have to give it a go and see if it works, if does great!, if not move on to the next place and try again.

Good luck to the OP and hope everything works out for you and your family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.