Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Originally Posted by Zhanna
It seems that a lot of people tend to compare UK and Canada letter by letter, but the ARE very similar countries! Success in each country depends on personal preferences and circumstances. Even comparing UK with, let's say, Zimbabwe is pointless - you can find happy flourishing people in Zim (or any other third-world country), and broke and miserable ones in UK (or any other first-world country). It feels that the starter of this thread is being attacked for feeling the way she is feeling, but this is her and her family's personal experiences and circumstances, she shouldn't have to defend her decisions. Good luck to you Welshgirl, hopefully you will find your home in Nova Scotia.
I hope my posts didn't come across that way.

Going through an almost identical situation , in neighboring English counties actually ...they treatment the *OP* has been getting has me perplexed.

As education is one of her main reasons for going back, I wanted to find out more...

There are folk on here , who actually know a bit about the two places ...its always going to be open to discuss.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I presume your PR is still valid - and/or did you get citizenship?

If he wants to, can your husband join a NS police force? If yes, will he have to pay for training?

If no, what else will he/you guys do to earn your living? I'd say the employment bit is way more important than the school bit.

In the meantime, the UK system usually HAS to offer a school place for your daughter. However, if she is already 16, maybe they don't have to offer her something and have a "get out" clause - but they should clarify this with you.

If she would be due to take GCSE's this Spring, she is obviously not ready for that. What options have the Education Board offered you? Can she enrol in a college for September and take the GCSE courses then? You shouldn't have to pay anything, I don't think (and she could be doing some work towards them now if you can get hold of syllabus) - and then she might be ready to take a whole swathe of GCSE's in one academic year and take them in Spring 2013. Just a thought.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

The main variables in a child's academic success are the parents education levels. More specifically the mother's educational attainment. It matters not a jot whether they attend school in the UK or Canada, the parents account for about 80% of the child's academic success. In general (and yes we can generalize) children of university educated and professionally employed parents do better than those who do not.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
The main variables in a child's academic success are the parents education levels. More specifically the mother's educational attainment. It matters not a jot whether they attend school in the UK or Canada, the parents account for about 80% of the child's academic success. In general (and yes we can generalize) children of university educated and professionally employed parents do better than those who do not.
Why the Mother's?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Why the Mother's?
Not 100% sure but I suspect it has something to do with the amount of contact time the mother and child has in the early years. For instance, entrance into many of the most competitive primary schools in Japan, they simply take into account mothers educational level plus they also test the mother's academic prowess as its the best predictor of a child's success. There are obviously exceptions to this, but statistically speaking its pretty accurate.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 15th 2012 at 7:41 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Not 100% sure but I'm sure it has something to do with the amount of contact time the mother and child has in the early years. For instance, entrance into many of the most competitive primary schools in Japan, they simply take into account mothers educational level plus they also test the mother's academic prowess as its the pest predictor of a child's success. There are obviously exceptions to this, but statistically speaking its pretty accurate.
Thats very interesting ...and it also explains why I have such smart children
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl67
Hi... Id love to hear of anyone who have made the trip across the canada and moved back to uk after some reason or another.. Since being back in the UK we realised how much the country is in such a mess!!! But its not until you look back on what you had and realise it wasnt all that bad. We lived in calgary for nearly 4 years. The winters were brutal and we all missed the coast so much.... lived near the coast all my life in swansea. Our children age 16 and 13 miss certain things about canada but most of all the good schools. Cant beleive that the uk schools wont put our daughter into the year she came out of. Yr 10 but should be in yr 11. After 4 months of struggle we have decided tomove across to nova scotia. This was our first choice but at the time no job for hubby. Id love to hear from anyone who has settled in halifax and any other help would be so grateful. My husband want to join the police force but no jobs right now. look forward to any replies.
The unemployment rate in Nova Scotia is 8.6% http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subjects-su...0106a3-eng.htm. You think moving their is going to improve your chances in finding a job?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:37 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Not 100% sure but I suspect it has something to do with the amount of contact time the mother and child has in the early years. For instance, entrance into many of the most competitive primary schools in Japan, they simply take into account mothers educational level plus they also test the mother's academic prowess as its the best predictor of a child's success. There are obviously exceptions to this, but statistically speaking its pretty accurate.
Wow, fascinating.

And also kind of depressing (if the mother isn't well educated, is she dooming her offspring?) . Puts all the FI school ranking/public vs private school bullshit into perspective though.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canuck74
The unemployment rate in Nova Scotia is 8.6% http://www.statcan.gc.ca/subjects-su...0106a3-eng.htm. You think moving their is going to improve your chances in finding a job?
Saying that if I was in Halifax rather than the boonies I would be able to apply for at least 3 jobs per week. That's about 4 more than in the UK when I left in August!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Generalization is right because I know so many exceptions to this one. The biggest factor IMO is innate talent combined with determination and hard work.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:14 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Generalization is right because I know so many exceptions to this one. The biggest factor IMO is innate talent combined with determination and hard work.
That's anecdotal evidence...which is meaningless.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
That's anecdotal evidence...which is meaningless.
Not really - exceptions prove it can only be a generalization at most rather than a universal rule. I certainly agree that parental education can be a factor - but there are so many other factors too.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

When you look at the distribution of the scores of various 'intelligence' tests most people lie within a very narrow range and 'hard work' is something learned from parents.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Wow, fascinating.

And also kind of depressing (if the mother isn't well educated, is she dooming her offspring?) . Puts all the FI school ranking/public vs private school bullshit into perspective though.
Obviously there can be different outcomes at an individual level, outliers so to speak, but if you surveyed a 1000 households in your neighbourhood then statistically speaking those mothers lacking formal higher education are condemning their children to low academic success.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 9:52 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl67
I did do my homework but since being back we changed the area we wanted to settle in. I didnt move back with my eyes shut thats for sure. I was told that she could be placed bck into the yr she left in. But when i rang the schools direct it was a different story.. I beleive the years leading up to there exams are the most important. IF THEY leave with as many exams as they can that can only be a good thing. Once n college they can only resit there core subjects.? Dont like the system here and i was armed with no end of resource and imformation.
appears unfortunately, not enough, which is a shame

Originally Posted by el_richo
Bit like having lovely trips to Canada from Maryland but not actually living there

UK unemployment = ~8%
Canada unemployment = ~7.5%
Nova Scotia unemployment = ~7.8%
agree, important info

Originally Posted by Canuck74
again very relevant, ns is not an easy place to make a go of a good life

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Saying that if I was in Halifax rather than the boonies I would be able to apply for at least 3 jobs per week. That's about 4 more than in the UK when I left in August!
perhaps, however remember the small town mentality of what you know and who you know to convert being able to apply for jobs to landing a job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.