Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Old Jan 15th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

welshgirl67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back across the pond after a massive mistake!!!!

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Why do you think you will be able to cope with the winters any better on the east coast? I appreciate it may not get as cold as it does in Alberta but cold is cold. You don't appear to be the type of family to embrace the winter. Does it really matter if the outside temperature is minus 10 or 20, if you are indoors?
of course it matters what you on about. the weather has an overall affect on your outlook and wellbeing. Snow doesnt bother us just the length of time it hangs around for
Old Jan 15th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by welshgirl67
Schooling here is not as easy going as far as yr groups etc. In canada they do on ability not yr groups and thats what it should be like. Each child is different in progress etc. Ive seen it for myself her and still after 4 months i cant get our kids into school because of it.
I am dealing with a similar situation actually.

I've been given a lot of help to get my children in to school, one will even be kept back August birthday.

It depends a lot on the area you live in I suppose.

Are they refusing you a place where you would like your child to be?
Have they offered you a different school?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I am dealing with a similar situation actually.

I've been given a lot of help to get my children in to school, one will even be kept back August birthday.

It depends a lot on the area you live in I suppose.

Are they refusing you a place where you would like your child to be?
Have they offered you a different school?
Wiltshire area but they are either full in that year and dont use the police of putting kids in another year. so i can win anyway. There arent any other options for me. My kids education if more important than anything..Cnada will do that. Thats just the main reason we want to go back
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Wiltshire area but they are either full in that year and dont use the police of putting kids in another year. so i can win anyway. There arent any other options for me. My kids education if more important than anything..Cnada will do that. Thats just the main reason we want to go back
I can see your problem.

I thought they had to offer you another school, if the one you want, is over-subscribed?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

I can see your problem.

I thought they had to offer you another school, if the one you want, is over-subscribed?
They never offered me another school.. I was told to just ring around the other schools in the area. Not at all helpful. It really has changed massive since we left... Schools are being closed and newly qualified teachers have to move across country for work. Not a good feeling. I would definately think hard before you leave. If id known all this yu wouldn see me or my family here for love or money!!! Its harder moving back than leaving in the first place. thats my experience but everyone has there own opinions.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

They never offered me another school.. I was told to just ring around the other schools in the area. Not at all helpful. It really has changed massive since we left... Schools are being closed and newly qualified teachers have to move across country for work. Not a good feeling. I would definately think hard before you leave. If id known all this yu wouldn see me or my family here for love or money!!! Its harder moving back than leaving in the first place. thats my experience but everyone has there own opinions.
Thats really strange that they treated you that way.

I am not moving far from you, and yet its all being handled so differently.

The county *has* to give a second school option, even if that means sending a bus to take your child there.

Its odd that they just left you to your own devises, leaving your daughter out of school etc...

Its true, we all have our own reasons ...
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Thats really strange that they treated you that way.

I am not moving far from you, and yet its all being handled so differently.

The county *has* to give a second school option, even if that means sending a bus to take your child there.

Its odd that they just left you to your own devises, leaving your daughter out of school etc...

Its true, we all have our own reasons ...
Each school has there own policy for keeping kids back.. If they wont do it forme then i have no other option. Its slightly different because our daughter should sit her exams in June and she would have so much work to catch up anyway. I rang 5 schools in wiltshire and every one told me its not something you do that much and wouldnt offer it.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:39 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I'm sure many people have had lovely trips back to the UK for Christmas. I know I have. However, that isn't exactly indicative of what it would be like to live there full-time. It's the same concept as emigrating to Canada after a nice holiday there - it's not the same thing.
Bit like having lovely trips to Canada from Maryland but not actually living there

Look at the state of the unemployment its laughable.
UK unemployment = ~8%
Canada unemployment = ~7.5%
Nova Scotia unemployment = ~7.8%
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
Bit like having lovely trips to Canada from Maryland but not actually living there

UK unemployment = ~8%
Canada unemployment = ~7.5%
Nova Scotia unemployment = ~7.8%
Have you been back here recently???? And felt the low morale with police forces cutting etc. I didnt until i got here.... you have to feel the unhappiness among people. Where we came from calgary is booming... but we had other reasons to return and never judge until you have walked the walk for a while. Thats something i will never do.... until ive felt it for myself. In the uk it seems in your face if thats easy to understand.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Each school has there own policy for keeping kids back.. If they wont do it forme then i have no other option. Its slightly different because our daughter should sit her exams in June and she would have so much work to catch up anyway. I rang 5 schools in wiltshire and every one told me its not something you do that much and wouldnt offer it.
I am surprised they are alright with her being out of school.

What YR is she?

My brother is 15 (16 in April) he can leave at 16 ...its those years afterwards that will 'benefit' from staying longer. They are phasing it in.

I do understand that the flexible nature of the schools in the US and CANADA,is something that the UK could do with.

With all due respect though, you could have found out about the schooling situation while you were still in Canada.

I have spent 2 years doing my H/work to try to avoid any nasty shocks when we come home.

Really good luck to you though...its not easy moving again!
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:15 pm
Just Joined

I am surprised they are alright with her being out of school.

What YR is she?

My brother is 15 (16 in April) he can leave at 16 ...its those years afterwards that will 'benefit' from staying longer. They are phasing it in.

I do understand that the flexible nature of the schools in the US and CANADA,is something that the UK could do with.

With all due respect though, you could have found out about the schooling situation while you were still in Canada.

I have spent 2 years doing my H/work to try to avoid any nasty shocks when we come home.

Really good luck to you though...its not easy moving again!
I did do my homework but since being back we changed the area we wanted to settle in. I didnt move back with my eyes shut thats for sure. I was told that she could be placed bck into the yr she left in. But when i rang the schools direct it was a different story.. I beleive the years leading up to there exams are the most important. IF THEY leave with as many exams as they can that can only be a good thing. Once n college they can only resit there core subjects.? Dont like the system here and i was armed with no end of resource and imformation.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I have to live/work in Canada for extended periods because of my job. I wouldn't exactly classify all of those as "lovely trips".
Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:04 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Have you been back here recently???? And felt the low morale with police forces cutting etc. I didnt until i got here.... you have to feel the unhappiness among people. Where we came from calgary is booming... but we had other reasons to return and never judge until you have walked the walk for a while. Thats something i will never do.... until ive felt it for myself. In the uk it seems in your face if thats easy to understand.
We left the UK in August and see very little difference over here with regards to unemployment levels. Employment seems a lot more ruthless over here. We were lucky in the fact OH had a job here before we came. As I said previously the unemployment levels where we are now are twice the amount than the town which we left in the UK.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did do my homework but since being back we changed the area we wanted to settle in. I didnt move back with my eyes shut thats for sure. I was told that she could be placed bck into the yr she left in. But when i rang the schools direct it was a different story.. I beleive the years leading up to there exams are the most important. IF THEY leave with as many exams as they can that can only be a good thing. Once n college they can only resit there core subjects.? Dont like the system here and i was armed with no end of resource and imformation.
I really hate to nit pick...but it appears you are being given the wrong info?

You were only gone 4 years right?

So, of course she would go back where she left (yr wise) my eldest has to do that too,effectively losing YR7.

What exactly are they saying to you? that she must enter a year above?

The system won't be the same as Canada, because they are a year behind there.

I don't like to think the county in your area are fobbing you off IYSWIM?
Old Jan 15th 2012, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Zhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to beholdZhanna is a splendid one to behold

It seems that a lot of people tend to compare UK and Canada letter by letter, but the ARE very similar countries! Success in each country depends on personal preferences and circumstances. Even comparing UK with, let's say, Zimbabwe is pointless - you can find happy flourishing people in Zim (or any other third-world country), and broke and miserable ones in UK (or any other first-world country). It feels that the starter of this thread is being attacked for feeling the way she is feeling, but this is her and her family's personal experiences and circumstances, she shouldn't have to defend her decisions. Good luck to you Welshgirl, hopefully you will find your home in Nova Scotia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.