Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alberta: which city

Moving to Alberta: which city

Old Mar 4th 2019, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

carolg2712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Alberta: which city

I've worked on a range of projects, primarily in a project support capacity. I got a promotion to Junior PM last summer and currently assigned to Brexit for Department of Health but previously worked on some IT projects for the NHS. Economic regeneration projects for low skilled workers within local government, and supported the development of an in-house fostering and adoption system.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 5:33 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i have lived and worked in both Edmonton and Calgary...IMO either city is fine and does the job..if you are more outdoorsy and like hiking in the mountains then Calgary wins..for trails etc in the city Edmonton takes it.. Calgary is more cosmopolitan and actually has a vibrant downtown more so than Edmonton...Edmonton for me s slightly easier to get around..as for kids both do the necessary.
Old Mar 4th 2019, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

4.6 Earthquake in Red Deer Alberta today.
Old Mar 7th 2019, 1:28 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
4.6 Earthquake in Red Deer Alberta today.
yep, woke us up, thought someone had broken in, loud bang, husband thought I was having a nightmare and jumping in bed🤣
Old Mar 7th 2019, 8:06 am
Just Joined

Alex80 is an unknown quantity at this point

The two cities are very different. Edmonton is more Artsy but Calgary is just a prettier. Winter can be very rough it's -20C at the moment. Edmonton doesn't get Chinooks - warm winds from BC that can change the temperature from -20 to 0 in a few hours. The rental in Calgary is quite cheap at the moment but the job market is still unstable. 5 years ago earning over 100k was quite common, not anymore. Calgary is closer to the mountains approx 1.5h to Banff.
As much as I would like to be very positive, I don't recommend relocating without a job. Unlike governmental and educational jobs, private sector is still a bit of a gamble.

Good luck!