Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moving to Alberta or BC

Moving to Alberta or BC

Old Mar 25th 2015, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Alberta or BC

YLW (Kelowna) is apparently looking at European routes, but it could take years (if at all) before we see it happen.

Kelowna airport eyeing European routes - Kelowna Capital News
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Living in NL, we usually have to fly via somewhere anyways!!
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Most of this is why we want to leave Alberta.
We are having 2 days in Red a Deer, at the end of our trip, looking forward to the Alberta stretch.

I guess everywhere gets boring in time, we'll just have to move every few years to keep it interesting.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:03 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy
We are having 2 days in Red a Deer, at the end of our trip, looking forward to the Alberta stretch.

I guess everywhere gets boring in time, we'll just have to move every few years to keep it interesting.
Just really look carefully at what there really is around you in terms of days out and places to visit -wherever you look at, I only say this as you have mentioned you have grown tired of same old lack of things where you are now. Also remember lots of local attractions in Alberta are May long to Labour Day or only 1/2 open. I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, I love lots about Alberta and am so pleased life landed us in Red Deer. Nearer Calgary and the mountains may have worked better in the long run but there is only so many times you can get excited about visiting the same towns for a day out.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 5:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
United fly to San Francisco . Direct flights to Tronno, Palm Springs, Phoenix, Mexico, Vegas, Seattle. Los Angeles. Some flights seasonal
Awesome. I wasn't sure as they code share with AC on so many flights, it can be hard to tell at times which airline is actually flying the flights...lol
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Just really look carefully at what there really is around you in terms of days out and places to visit -wherever you look at, I only say this as you have mentioned you have grown tired of same old lack of things where you are now. Also remember lots of local attractions in Alberta are May long to Labour Day or only 1/2 open. I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, I love lots about Alberta and am so pleased life landed us in Red Deer. Nearer Calgary and the mountains may have worked better in the long run but there is only so many times you can get excited about visiting the same towns for a day out.
I hear ya.

Couple of questions, is Red Deer an 'oil town' - Perhaps Alberta is a MASSIVE oil town :0)

And if you were looking to move somewhere, where would you go, obvs everyone is different, but I'm interested in where folks that already live where we are looking would go, if they had the chance.

I like Red Deer as you have Calgary to the South and Edmonton to the North and left is the mountains and further South is the USA, it seems like the best central place to be.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

We booked a recce road trip there this coming August to have a look (Edmonton, Jasper, Banff (canmore), Kamloops, Kelowna, Sandpoint (US), Kalispell (US), Waterton, Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer and back to Edmonton), we would be very interested in your opinion of where would be a nice place to go and your experience of the places specifically mentioned.

Also VERY interested in ideas of other places we might not have considered.

We are looking for school for my son and ideally some civiliastion in case anything happened to my job (which is as safe as any job can be).
Swing by Cochrane on your road trip - 30 mins NW of Calgary.

So in a nutshell, we want interesting, with things to do and see, places to go in all directions,
Europe?!
Old Mar 26th 2015, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Europe?!
Lol.

The recce trip will certainly give us a good idea as to where is for us, this thread is really great though, hearing about 'how it is' from those in 'how it is' :0)

Last edited by the_tones_guy; Mar 26th 2015 at 1:15 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:28 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I hear ya.

Couple of questions, is Red Deer an 'oil town' - Perhaps Alberta is a MASSIVE oil town :0)

And if you were looking to move somewhere, where would you go, obvs everyone is different, but I'm interested in where folks that already live where we are looking would go, if they had the chance.

I like Red Deer as you have Calgary to the South and Edmonton to the North and left is the mountains and further South is the USA, it seems like the best central place to be.
THIS is why we like Red Deer, but after ten years the appeal of Calgary and Edmonton has diminished and any further afield gets spendy when it involves overnighters etc. Seriously look at the things to do guides (take them home) in the major towns, tick off those that may interest you and then think how often they will interest you and for how long, I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs as that is the situation you are already in, hence your upcoming recce. You have to be so critical.

Yes Red Deer is an oil based town - just look at the job listings and you will find oil or retail in abundance.

We ARE looking at an alternative destination, we have ruled out the UK after a couple of visits and much discussion and are focusing on Southern Ontario, we have done one serious recce so far and we have had a couple of prior trips, we are planning on going out each year until we move, 2020 is the if we haven't it will be by then but realistically we are looking at 3 years including this one. Things that appeal; towns and villages in abundance, water and beaches to walk along in abundance. Proximity to airports to the rest of the world. More multicultural with more choices. Affordable housing (especially compared to BC). Bigger car scene. Shorter winters.

The worst thing about all this is our daughter will either stay in Alberta or move to BC (in her mind) the field in which she hopes to study however has more hiring opportunities in Ontario so things may work out ok

I understand your dilemma and the need to get it right this time, after our last recce we came home with local papers, real estate listings, and lots of notes on where we liked the look of, we were also able to eliminate some areas as we could see that if we moved there (Goderich (sp) was a place we liked) then we would be faced with the same situation we have now.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes getting it right is the thing for sure, we don't dislike it here, but just need to make things a bit more interesting again.

And the UK would be ideal, loads of things to do, but I can't imagine ever going back to live, I'm lucky in that I get to get there a few times a year, but I'm always happy to come home to Canada, this is why I know the UK is not right.

It's such a big decision, we have definitely made it, but just need to decide where to settle. Really looking forward to the trip.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

I have never felt trapped in by big mountain ranges in the Okanagan. We had considered Nelson and I am sure that would have been the case there but not in the Okanagan. We have already been out to Victoria visiting eldest son a month ago. Skiing yes, hunting over Winter... Er no. Closed season. Anyhow, without getting sidetracked into that discussion yet again - most hunters here head off out of the Okanagan. If you want the sun, head above the clouds , snowshoeing , skiing and snowboarding or even just walking.
Anyhow never mind cloud/snow, it has been Spring here for at least a month - clearly unlike Shardsville. Thankfully the Albertans are having to sell their powerboat monstrosities and lake properties due to "financial difficulties" - I have to say that they won't be missed. I love all four seasons particularly Summer and Winter.
You can still hunt through the winter here but there are less species open. Cougar, Snowshoe Hare and Canada Geese are all open season through the winter. And Spring bear just opened up yesterday.

Last edited by jossie; Apr 2nd 2015 at 11:25 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Lunathecat is an unknown quantity at this point

We just moved from kelowna to calgary. Kelowna is beautiful but after 10 years I was getting a bit stir crazy. Unless you have money/vacation time to pay for overnight trips, the list of places to visit is very short. My husband misses it dreadfully, but he liked running on trails and skiing at big white, he wasn't that bothered about leaving the valley.

I work in marketing communications and the job market in the okanagan for such jobs is extremely limited. Everyone I knew either has husbands who work in the oil patch, or more locally - government, healthcare or finance jobs.

Calgary is new to us and I'm still making my mind up as to whether I like it. It's Easter weekend and it's snowing and there's not one flower out anywhere.

If I could live anywhere it would probably be on the outskirts of Vancouver - I really liked living in Port Moody, but the house prices are ridiculous. Work for my husband is in short supply there as well, so that ruled it out for us this time round. In hindsight, I wish we had bought and stayed there back in 2002 when house prices were more reasonable - but it's too late now
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 8:18 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
You can still hunt through the winter here but there are less species open. Cougar, Snowshoe Hare and Canada Geese are all open season through the winter. And Spring bear just opened up yesterday.
I did actually look up when writing my last post what it was possible for those inclined over the winter. Even the most seasoned of hunters of my patients, way way more experienced than you choose, I feel quite rightly not to needlessly kill those poor creatures that you list. Why the hell would you? Jossie, you do yourself no favours. Just because you are allowed, doesn't mean that you should

Last edited by Stinkypup; Apr 3rd 2015 at 9:17 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Lost Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

I did actually look up when writing my last post what it was possible for those inclined over the winter. Even the most seasoned of hunters of my patients, way way more experienced than you choose, I feel quite rightly not to needlessly kill those poor creatures that you list. Why the hell would you? Jossie, you do yourself no favours. Just because you are allowed, doesn't mean that you should
So I take it that you eat no meat and your dog also has a vegetarian diet?

mmmmm goose!
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 10:30 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lost Boy
So I take it that you eat no meat and your dog also has a vegetarian diet?

mmmmm goose!
Yawn- same old counter argument as always- my diet and my dog's diet is irrelevant to the issue. I have no truck with subsistence hunting. At a push I would find goose if you are truly that desperate is acceptable but the others, if you think are acceptable targets then I am somewhat saddened and puzzled. No, surprisingly enough I don't eat snowshoe hare, cougar or bear. Neither does the dog.
Oh, and targeting "Spring bear"- that sounds like a great thing to do- potentially targeting sows who have very young cubs dependent on them... Delightful!

Last edited by Stinkypup; Apr 3rd 2015 at 11:47 am. Reason: .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.