Wikiposts

moving....

Old Jan 25th 2007, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

hcastles will become famous soon enoughhcastles will become famous soon enough
Default moving....

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can give us some advise?? We have decided that canada is the way to go and have thought that Halifax would be nice. Done all the interent sourcing but would like some views from people that actually live around the area, about schools, job hunting, the area for teenagers, where to go and not to go (!!!) what is the weather REALLY like etc.

We presently reside in Sunny Scotland, just outside Glasgow.

Thanks for anyones help in advance!!!!

Old Jan 25th 2007, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Mnt4Det is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving....

Originally Posted by hcastles
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can give us some advise?? We have decided that canada is the way to go and have thought that Halifax would be nice. Done all the interent sourcing but would like some views from people that actually live around the area, about schools, job hunting, the area for teenagers, where to go and not to go (!!!) what is the weather REALLY like etc.

We presently reside in Sunny Scotland, just outside Glasgow.

Thanks for anyones help in advance!!!!

While I would say I'm biased...I'm Canadian and spent 32 years in Halifax, grew up there, currently living in the UK with my husband(Hoping to go back soon!)....

I think Halifax is great, good schools in most areas, John W Macleod is where my daughter went, and then Cunard Junior High.(Both excellent schools, in my two cents) Me, I went to St. Pat's High School and I wouldn't have recommended it as a great school, but I have heard they are merging it and another high school, and its supposed to be a much better school. Citadel High or something along those lines they were going to call it was the last I heard.

It's not as overflowing with jobs as some places out west but it really depends on what you are looking for I guess.

As far as areas for teenagers, mine is 14 and just wants to spend all her time at the mall, but they also spend time at a place near The Commons called The Pavillion. They have bands etc play there and younger kids can get in, since the drinking age is 19 and they can't go to bars downtown.

Where to go...if you want touristy stuff, Citadel Hill, Maritime Museum, Pier 21, Peggys Cove(outside the city) And definately go to The Annapolis Valley in the summer, its beautiful. Lawrencetown Beach, great for surfing.
The weather is, well its hard to say lol it changes alot, though not as much as here in England I've learned. It's on average 20-30 in the summer, -5 to...Well just last week it was -25. You will definately want some winter boots, snow is a given! And I actually miss it.

Good luck to you wherever you end up.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

hcastles will become famous soon enoughhcastles will become famous soon enough
Default Re: moving....

thanks for your help......