Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: squamish

Moved: squamish

Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

snooze71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved: squamish

I've never been here but from looking on the web it seems like an "us" sort of place - OH was hooked as soon as he read about the windsurfing.

Does anybody live there or know more about it.... it looks from the piccies that the downtown area is a bit..uuum..tired, but i've read that development is planned for the downtown and oceanfront areas. Is this definitely going ahead or still just a proposal..

also, are the schools any good?

thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.

toodlepips
Old Oct 6th 2007, 5:53 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: squamish

Don't know about anyone else but I'm totally
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:37 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snooze71
I've never been here but from looking on the web it seems like an "us" sort of place - OH was hooked as soon as he read about the windsurfing.

Does anybody live there or know more about it.... it looks from the piccies that the downtown area is a bit..uuum..tired, but i've read that development is planned for the downtown and oceanfront areas. Is this definitely going ahead or still just a proposal..

toodlepips
Never been, but I'd imagine it gets pretty busy with people going to/from whistler
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:50 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koogar
Never been, but I'd imagine it gets pretty busy with people going to/from whistler
Here Koogs where the heck have you been

Not seen you on BE for ages

How many times have you been round the world then

Eddie
Old Oct 6th 2007, 8:00 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

toodlepips
Hi Don't know much about the place as we have only driven through it on the way to Whistler. We did stop at Shannon Falls for an hour ........ very pretty.

The schools website is www.sd48.bc.ca & might be worth a look

ps.......my friend just sent me some photos of Old Market & Broadmead, don't think I'd recognise the place if I come home

Last edited by bananahammock; Oct 6th 2007 at 8:04 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 9:51 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

toodlepips
Squamish is on the Sea to Sky highway, which is currently being updated to accommodate the 2010 Olympics. Nightmare for traffic right now. Most of the towns along that route are on the tired side, but there is a lot of development taking place. The Olympics is likely to revitalize the area. Property prices have risen sharply since Vancouver got the Olympics. It is a nice area, although transport routes are restrictive. The only way out is through Lillooet (North, can be dodgy in winter) or south through Vancouver. The drive without traffic hold ups is about an hour to Vancouver. Lots of people commute into Vancouver.

Good idea to visit before deciding. Google maps gives a good idea of highway layout and driving times.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 11:57 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Here Koogs where the heck have you been

Not seen you on BE for ages

How many times have you been round the world then

Eddie
Hello Eddie.
Been away for a while and it looks like I may have to swap to the USA forum in the near future. Met me an American girly and all's going well so far.
Umm.... I've literally been around the world 3 times (NZ twice and OZ once). Is that what you meant or did you mean how far have I driven since going to canada.
Glad to hear from you mate and hope all is well.
I don't know enough people on here now to do one of my polls.... lol.
be good.
Koog.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

We visited 3 years ago and stayed locally. Can't say i was particularly impressed with the town, not much there and didn't really get any vibes from the area itself.
Just my opinion of course.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 1:08 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

toodlepips
Squamish is hyping itself as the outdoor capital of Canada. There's definitely a lot to do. Friends of mine go there for the rock climbing. My daughter goes there dirt biking, and there are bike and hiking trails. Windsurfing and kayaking too.

It is a blue collar town which is benefitting from the olympic effect. This is mostly because the sea to sky highway is being improved and hence it becomes more easily commutable to Vancouver - or Whistler. The plans for developing the waterfront are on the way and this will be a great boost to the area. It is still an area with prospects and the real estate price rises are still expected to go up.

You have to visit to see what you think. BTW the tv series "men in trees" is filmed there - though set in Alaska - so you will get glimpses of the area. The Squamish Chief (the mountain) appears fairly regularly.

Warmly,

Frank
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

snooze71 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all your replies......

bananahammock - bristol is surely changing - it makes you realise how a bit of development (or a lot) can totally transform a city...maybe thats what will happen to Squamish. I reckon OH and me will head out there in the NY minus the terrible tots.

anybody reading this live in squamish?????????

toodlepips
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:14 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for all your replies......

bananahammock - bristol is surely changing - it makes you realise how a bit of development (or a lot) can totally transform a city...maybe thats what will happen to Squamish. I reckon OH and me will head out there in the NY minus the terrible tots.

anybody reading this live in squamish?????????

toodlepips
Just thought I'd pop in here and say "Hi" because I'm from Bristol too though been living in BC many years. And yes, it surely is changing over there, recently got back and going again next March.

Squamish would be a great investment right now, there are so many plans in the making for that area and big stuff happening resort-wise. Many of the people I've been working with (in commercial real estate) have been investing in residential stuff there and prices have been steadily rising for the past year or so. The 2010 Olympics is a huge factor, of course, but it will sustain growth after it's all over.

Good luck.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 5:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: squamish

A good friend of mine lives in Squamish and commutes to North Vancouver each day for work. It is doable and will become much more so in the next two years once the highway is complete.

Squamish is most famous for windsurfing and rock climbing but there is plenty more outdoors stuff to do. Don't be too put off by the tired downtown as it is not that different to most BC towns. If townscapes matter then (with the possible exception of Nelson) stick to Vancouver or Victoria. Anyway, as said, Squamish is being developed ahead of the Olympics.

As a place to live my concern is where will you work? If in Whistler this is about an hour away, though there is little in Whistler apart from tourism/hospitality work. Downtown Vancouver is, at best, an hour and this is very optimistic during the rush hour. Other parts of Metro Vancouver can be a real slog to get to on a daily basis. Life may be much easier with a shorter commute to work and a longer trip at the weekends for fun.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

When we did our recce last year we stopped in Squamish for a good few days. Before that all we had seen was the gas station on the way to Whistler. For me I felt Squamish wasn't what I was looking for as I thought it was "bitty" as there are 3 distinct housing areas and two commercial areas. For example if you lived in Brackendale or Garibaldi Heights you'd have to use your car to go downtown. I see Squamish as a through town on the way to Whistler although housing prices certainly have risen and there has been a lot of talk about about creating a new ski resort nearby.

We've decided to settle in Pemberton, a small community 25 minutes north of Whistler. For me it just felt nice - not very descriptive I know - but it had a community feel to it and the proximity to Whistler was better for us.

Anyway, hope my little contribution helps.

Zoe M. x
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road

I was pretty impressed with squamish and the community there, even though the olympics is making it pretty expensive, and people commuting to whistler/vancouver,
hmm
jon
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

A good friend of mine - single, born in Canada - moved to Squamish last year but has moved back to Vancouver because she found Squamish, as a town, too dull for her liking. I have passed through Squamish several times and it is not a town I have ever felt, "wow, I wished I lived here!". But it is situated in an area close to the mountains and next to a large ocean fjord that allows for many outdoor recreational activities to be had. The town, as previously mentioned, is very blue collar. Do not expect a cosmopolitan atmosphere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.