Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Recce 24/09 to 02/10

Wikiposts

Moved: Recce 24/09 to 02/10

Old Sep 16th 2007, 12:39 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moved: Recce 24/09 to 02/10

Hi everybody

I have my first recce trip coming up (Nova Scotia).
Halifax, Hants, Kings, Colchester, Cumberland, maybe Pictou.
I will be renting a motor from the airport so I will be able to pick and choose.

I have a few meetings lined up but still loads of time for other bits and bobs.
I would appreciate it if any NS-dwellers could advise me of places to go, things to do - or places and things to avoid.

The aim is to develop a bit of a network of folks in the biotech/technology/IT world with a view to future job hunting. So anyone in these areas or in these sectors with hints, tip (vacancies?!) please leave a message. Anyone know any decent technology parks or hotspots? Hopefully I can meet a few people and develop more contacts from the UK so next time I visit things will be a bit further along.

I have done my own research into these things but Im having to go by a lot of "marketing" on the websites and some first-hand insider knowledge would be really useful. I only have a week so cant really afford to bugger about.

In return I will post what I find out.

Many thanks in advance, folks.

wcx

Last edited by wbexpat; Sep 16th 2007 at 12:40 am. Reason: Didnt specify Province! Doh!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

hfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant futurehfxns has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moved: Recce 24/09 to 02/10

Originally Posted by wbexpat

The aim is to develop a bit of a network of folks in the biotech/technology/IT world with a view to future job hunting. So anyone in these areas or in these sectors with hints, tip (vacancies?!) please leave a message. Anyone know any decent technology parks or hotspots? .

wcx

I guess a lot will depend on your expertise and the skillsets you can bring to the table. As I understand, Halifax IT companies have more of development/support/research work being carried out, however you will find some opportunities in management too. Here is a list of companies (the names I know of here).

Consultancy/project mgmt/dev/business analysis: Aliant, xwave
Consultancy/dev: CGI, Keane
Software dev/support/QA: Quest Software
Mgmt/SA/wireless tech support: Research in Motion (RIM)
Research/VoIP: AOL (http://www.infointeractive.com/)
Biometrics software dev: Diaphonics (http://www.diaphonics.com/)
Dev/Biometrics/SA: Unisys
Telecom/NOC: Eastlink

There is PwC as well for consultancy stuff. There is a good gaming dev company in Lunenburg - HB Studios Multimedia (http://www.hb-studios.com).

You may find this Nova Scotia BUsiness Review and Forecast (Technology) report published in The Chronicle Herald, earlier this year, useful: http://thechronicleherald.ca/pdfs/Bu...w_Jan23-07.pdf

Reports on other sectors too:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Business

And, yeah, this one too, for a broad overview
http://www.novascotiabusiness.com/en...echnology.aspx

For searching jobs in Maritimes, make sure to check this site:
http://www.careerbeacon.com/

Hope this helps. Good luck in your search for a job here!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:32 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for that.
The biometrics company in particular was unexpected and potentially useful! I wrote a patent in that area!

A few of these are familiar from my own research - its sort of validating to see the same resources popping up from someone who's actually already on the spot.

Nobody yet has warned me about no-go areas or rip-off companies (except the usual horror stories about realtors - thats another story) so I am hopeful this trip will be fruitful.

Later

Last edited by wbexpat; Sep 16th 2007 at 2:59 am. Reason: i really cannot type can i?
Old Sep 17th 2007, 2:03 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I have my first recce trip coming up (Nova Scotia).
Halifax, Hants, Kings, Colchester, Cumberland, maybe Pictou.
To be honest you probably wont find much outside of Halifax if you are in the biotech/technology sector. As lovely as the other places are you mention its a much more low-tech rural way of life in these areas.

For networking your best bet would be to try and attend a couple of networking events in Halifax during your trip. As it happens there looks to be something on during that week - "BioPort" an event for people in life sciences industry, 26th September. Its organised by BioNova which looks to be an industry association for Nova Scotia Bio sciences. See http://bionova.ns.ca/index.cfm?fusea...str_cmpID=7347. I would say may of your potential future employers would be there so it would be a great place to meet people.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 2:42 am
Truro NS

Yep thats a good tip ns.
I saw bioport.
The $575 entrance fee is kinda making me think twice for a 1-day event so i might have to get creative.
thanks.
Old Sep 18th 2007, 4:33 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep thats a good tip ns.
I saw bioport.
The $575 entrance fee is kinda making me think twice for a 1-day event so i might have to get creative.
thanks.
Wow, I didn't realise there was a fee. Maybe contact BioNova and tell them you would be visiting in a personal capacity as you are in the area that week (really the fee is aimed at corporate attendees who arent paying out of their own wallets) - I'll bet you any money they would send you a complementary ticket if you explained. Failing that, one of the partners (like Greater Halifax Partnership) might sub you a ticket as they are really keen to promote immigration. Serriously - give it a try.