Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: decent areas of calgary

Moved: decent areas of calgary

Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:16 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved: decent areas of calgary

Hi- ive just been given an interview for a company in Calgary, so im now tryin to put together some plans for a recce.

Can anyone recommend any decent areas within a reasonable commute of the city- say within 30/40 min drive, and also, areas to avoid.

Cheers
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:30 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: decent areas of calgary

Read the BE Wiki article on Calgary Neighbourhoods.

Which areas are within a 30-40 minute drive of downtown? Hmmm, hard to say. It depends on whether the roads are clear or if there has been an overnight snowfall. In the best of circumstances, we have driven from our neighbourhood (Oakridge, in the southwest) to downtown in 20 minutes. On the other hand, when there has been snow on the road, when there has been a car accident ahead of us, etc., it has taken us 1 hr 15 min. I would say the commute from our house to downtown averages 30-40 minutes.

I suggest you first study the above-mentioned article on Calgary, figure out the quadrants in which you might want to live, use the Multiple Listing Service website to check on the prices you can afford, and narrow down your areas of interest. Then come back and ask if the areas in question are within 30-40 minutes of downtown.

If you have kids of school-going age, also read the Wiki on Calgary Schooling.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 8:34 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Also read the excellent advice that SurreyExpat wrote about making good use of your time during a Scouting Trip.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Most areas of Calgary are pretty decent. I live in the south and would say you can't go wrong anywhere south of Glenmore Trail.

And you probably can't go wrong anywhere west of 14th Street (14th West that is) anywhere in the city (except maybe Bowness).

Areas with bad reputations would be Bowness, Forest Lawn, Dover, Victoria Park (maybe - things appear to be changing in Victoria Park), probably others that I'm not thinking of right now. The reputations may or may not be deserved.

Outward appearance - Bowness doesn't look to bad actually. I'm not sure what the issue is - could be the motorcycles.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:13 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by rwin
Most areas of Calgary are pretty decent. I live in the south and would say you can't go wrong anywhere south of Glenmore Trail.

And you probably can't go wrong anywhere west of 14th Street (14th West that is) anywhere in the city (except maybe Bowness).

Areas with bad reputations would be Bowness, Forest Lawn, Dover, Victoria Park (maybe - things appear to be changing in Victoria Park), probably others that I'm not thinking of right now. The reputations may or may not be deserved.

Outward appearance - Bowness doesn't look to bad actually. I'm not sure what the issue is - could be the motorcycles.
When I got to Calgary over 30 years ago, Bowness and Forest Lawn were considered down-at-heel neighbourhoods. Local people told me that, in the past, Bowness and Forest Lawn had been separate towns that eventually had been incorporated into Calgary as the city had grown. Apparently they were less affluent than Calgary when they were separate towns and, even after being merged with Calgary, their reputations have remained static. I suppose they are too far out from the city centre to warrant the gentrification that currently is taking place in closer-in communities like Bridgeland and Inglewood.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:15 am
Now on Vancouver Island

By the way, what's wrong with that portion of the south that is north of Glenmore Trail?

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Oct 16th 2007 at 9:33 am. Reason: Slip up
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
By the way, what's wrong with that portion of the south that is north of Glenmore?
Parts of the south north of Glenmore trail are pretty good. I just didn't think I could make such a sweeping generalization about it.

Mayfair - good.
Ogden - not so good (but probably okay).
Old Oct 16th 2007, 9:41 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Parts of the south north of Glenmore trail are pretty good. I just didn't think I could make such a sweeping generalization about it.

Mayfair - good.
Ogden - not so good (but probably okay).
Yeah, fair enough. The BE Wiki article on Calgary neighbourhoods concurs with your clarification by warning against the close-in southeast (because much of it is adjacent to commercial-industrial zones).

But I think your earlier statement might have deterred the original poster from looking at parts of the southwest that are north of Glenmore Trail but that are perfectly fine (and some of which are more than just fine, in that some of them are amongst the most expensive communities in Calgary).
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Hi- ive just been given an interview for a company in Calgary, so im now tryin to put together some plans for a recce.
Should you be successful in your interview, and I sincerely hope you are, do you know where your work/office will be based, ie, which area? This may also have some bearing on where you wish to look.

EG, if you were to be working in the far south east, you may wish to discount the NW or the north/north westerly towns of Cochrane or Airdrie for example, but then might consider Okotoks (or perhaps stretching the commute time a bit too much) High River. Likewise, if you were to be working in the far NE or NW, Okotoks might prove just too much .... And if you were working in the downtown core, well, the world is your lobster !

Also, are you 'with family' and would you be considering other facilities like schools, local shops and services, pools, rinks, gyms, pitches (insert any number of clubs that children may wish to partake!), as opposed to bars, clubs or restaurants??
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
But I think your earlier statement might have deterred the original poster from looking at parts of the southwest that are north of Glenmore Trail but that are perfectly fine (and some of which are more than just fine, in that some of them are amongst the most expensive communities in Calgary).
Yes, I think you are right.

I will take that back.

There are good areas in all parts of Calgary. A sweeping generalization is unfair really. Each community should be looked at individually since good can exist next to bad.

Even the so called bad areas (I'm sure) have their good points.

I suppose it really depends what you are looking for.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:16 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by ann m
Should you be successful in your interview, and I sincerely hope you are, do you know where your work/office will be based, ie, which area? This may also have some bearing on where you wish to look.

EG, if you were to be working in the far south east, you may wish to discount the NW or the north/north westerly towns of Cochrane or Airdrie for example, but then might consider Okotoks (or perhaps stretching the commute time a bit too much) High River. Likewise, if you were to be working in the far NE or NW, Okotoks might prove just too much .... And if you were working in the downtown core, well, the world is your lobster !
Ummm ....... How do I put this? The OP did ask about driving time to the city. I took that to be Brit-speak for downtown, but I may be mistaken. I hasten to add that there have been many occasions on which I too have not noticed a detail that a poster has included in his/her query.