Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Container sealed at your home ?

Wikiposts

Moved: Container sealed at your home ?

Old May 17th 2007, 4:11 am
Flying Squirrel

Flying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant future
Question Moved: Container sealed at your home ?

Hi
Just a quickie - we have the removals company coming to pack us up and ship us out in two weeks and they have told us that they will wrap & pack into boxes at our home then take stuff to their depot to then pack container there 4 days later.

For those of you who have gone thru this process already does this seem OK or does this seem a bit odd ?

The 'trusting' side of me thinks that I am paying them to take the stress away from the whole process and to leave them to it but the little 'untrusting' devil sat on my shoulder worries that they then may say that everything won't fit in and try to charge me extra ??

They have said that I can go to the depot to watch the container being loaded but I could really do without the 200 mile round trip!

Any advice ?

Many thanks
Flying Squirrel x
Old May 17th 2007, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of
Default Re: Container sealed at your home ?

I think it depends on various factors as to whether they load the container at your house. I know there have been previous threads on this, if you do a search. Some companies seem to do this more than others (don't know which comany you are using, but I believe in some areas of the country Whites do take your stuff away to their depot to pack).

We are going to use GB Liners and they said that we would be fine if we had a 20ft container to load at our house, but if we have a 40ft container (which we will be doing), the access on our road is not good enough to get the lorry and container down safely. So they will pack our stuff in big storage cartons which they also use for storage at their depot if you take advantage of the "free storage" they offer. They then transfer from the cartons into the container. I am not worried that they will say we have too much stuff for the container as we are about a third over the size of a 20ft container, so there should be plenty of room for it all in a 40ft one.

Good luck with the move!

Lisa
Old May 17th 2007, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moved: Container sealed at your home ?

I think it depends on wether you are sole or groupage, and what size of container and access at your house

I had 4 companies thru to quote today, and they all pretty much told me that.
Old May 17th 2007, 6:10 am
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Squirrel
Hi
Just a quickie - we have the removals company coming to pack us up and ship us out in two weeks and they have told us that they will wrap & pack into boxes at our home then take stuff to their depot to then pack container there 4 days later.

For those of you who have gone thru this process already does this seem OK or does this seem a bit odd ?

The 'trusting' side of me thinks that I am paying them to take the stress away from the whole process and to leave them to it but the little 'untrusting' devil sat on my shoulder worries that they then may say that everything won't fit in and try to charge me extra ??

They have said that I can go to the depot to watch the container being loaded but I could really do without the 200 mile round trip!

Any advice ?

Many thanks
Flying Squirrel x
Hi FS,
we had the same concern when we moved, it seems to be standard practice and we had no problems with our container, everything arrived safely and in one piece!
ps. we had a 20ft container filled to the brim!
Old May 17th 2007, 6:45 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louise033
Hi FS,
we had the same concern when we moved, it seems to be standard practice and we had no problems with our container, everything arrived safely and in one piece!
ps. we had a 20ft container filled to the brim!
Allied Pickfords did ours, and loaded the container off-site. Half our stuff was in storage at my parents' place (down a v. narrow lane) and the other half was in a 3rd floor walk-up in west London, so to us it made perfect sense for them to load into relatively smaller removals vans for ease of access and trans-ship later at the depot.
Old May 17th 2007, 7:18 am
Flying Squirrel

Flying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant futureFlying Squirrel has a brilliant future

Hello Everyone
Thank you for all your replies - certainly put my mind at ease - shall get back to my 'to do' list which seems to be getting longer and longer as we get nearer to moving...........ah yes next on the list....cars to buy!!

thanks again
Flying Squirrelx
Old May 17th 2007, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

we are using GB Liners too and this is what they do - pack onto a lorry and load the container at their depot. They did say that we could go and watch it packed into the container so obviously they have nothing to hide.

Part of the reason that this is ok for us is that we are storing with them too so it allows them to amalgamate all of our stuff and also have a piano which their carpenter is going to crated for me too and this will be done just before it is loaded at the very end of the container.

Should be ok - and I wouldnt worry

Gaynorx
Old May 17th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

We had our container sealed when at our house when the packing was complete - but then it was straight off to Southampton and onto a ship, so they were going double-quick.
Agree with everyone else - depends on who you use.

BurtonBunch - didn't know you tickled the ivories, Gay - bit of a pianist on the quiet:?
Old May 17th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

We're going with White & Co but we made sure they would load at our house because we're right on the edge of a 20' container and we want to choose what last things we squeeze in and what we leave behind (we have some things like a wheelbarrow that we will take if we have room but would rather leave and replace than pay for a 40' container!)

Guess it depends on your situation!
Old May 17th 2007, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

We are getting a 20ft container and it will be loaded at our house and sealed.
It was interesting that when the sales guy told me this was the best option i said great but is there room outside the house on my verge for this container lorry as the road is too narrow to park on otherwise and he said yes it will be fine.
When my final invoice and checklist arrived it states that it is my responsibility to ensure there is adequate room for the vehicle and that if it might cause a blockage i have to get prior permission from council/police etc.

How do i know if there is enough room, their sales guy seemed ok with it so i hope there aren't any issues when it arrives next week!!
Old May 18th 2007, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Wouldn't worry too much. We've had enormous containers arrive down a single track road and reverse into a very narrow drive with hardly a few inches either side!
Good luck!
Old May 18th 2007, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Ours was also loaded onto a smaller van and then container-ed at their warehouse, no problem. This was also for storage - if you store, they do it in pallets or something, not containers.