British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Moved but never heard anything from HMRC (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moved-but-never-heard-anything-hmrc-941769/)

scrubbedexpat0103 Nov 29th 2021 5:24 pm

Moved but never heard anything from HMRC

Hello everyone, sorry if this is the wrong forum section, I am not sure to which it would go.

My wife and I moved to Ontario from the UK in March of this year. We notified HMRC of us leaving (can't remember the form number.) We filled this in online and submitted it in roughly February, we never received any acknowledgement or confirmation. Upon checking recently this is still the case. Has anyone had any recent experience of this?

We are planning a move back to the UK in the new year. In the simplest terms; what is the process of 'telling' Canada that we are leaving and to tie everything off here?

Thanks
P

Twitcher1958 Nov 29th 2021 8:10 pm

Re: Moved but never heard anything from HMRC

Regarding your first query - I seem to think ours took quite a while to get through the system and it was so long ago that I can’t remember how long, but I suspect with covid restrictions, it may well be longer.

The form my daughter used when she left Canada was NR73.

Siouxie Nov 29th 2021 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by pjm3586 (Post 13076878)
Hello everyone, sorry if this is the wrong forum section, I am not sure to which it would go.

My wife and I moved to Ontario from the UK in March of this year. We notified HMRC of us leaving (can't remember the form number.) We filled this in online and submitted it in roughly February, we never received any acknowledgement or confirmation. Upon checking recently this is still the case. Has anyone had any recent experience of this?

We are planning a move back to the UK in the new year. In the simplest terms; what is the process of 'telling' Canada that we are leaving and to tie everything off here?

Thanks
P

As to the 2nd part..

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...emigrants.html

orly Dec 1st 2021 1:36 am

Don't think I ever told them I'd left the UK lol.

Pingpong2021 Dec 1st 2021 6:00 pm

I filled in a form P85 on line at HMRC 6 weeks ago to notify them I was leaving the UK. It was processed in around 3 weeks and I received a tax refund.If You haven't set up an on line account at HMRC you can send the completed form directly to them, but on line is easier as you can track the progress of the form at the end. Its certainly worth the hassle of 5 minutes verifying your ID etc as once you're set top up you can also check your NI records, state pension, tax codes etc etc.

getoutofbritainquick Dec 2nd 2021 10:12 am

Originally Posted by pjm3586 (Post 13076878)

Thanks
P

We sent in our NR73 in March before we returned to the UK. It was rejected because we put in the cover letter sent with the form that we will be leaving Canada on the 18th July (flight booked) unless COVID restrictions prevent us from doing so. I contacted the CRA and was told to re send the same form with the same information on again in June. I informed the CRA that we would have left Canada by then and please send it to a forwarding address in the UK. Several months later my son received his approved non tax resident letter to the forwarding address. My wife and I did not receive any response. I contacted the CRA 2 weeks ago to find out what had happened to our NR 73 letter and was told they had no record of receiving the form. I explained that they must have received because I sent the 3 applications in one envelope. As a result I have now had to re submit the NR 73 for the third time.
Incidentally while we were sorting our on line CRA portal access I was told we still had tax outstanding for 2020 I checked my bank records and have proof it was paid to CRA tax owing on the 31st March 2021. They did a search but could not locate the payment. Now it looks like we will have to prove we paid the outstanding tax. Funny how everything seems to be messed up during COVID when these people are working from home!!! It’s not just Canada we have had issues with just about every on-line service in the UK including banks. Taking people out of the loop is a joke. We have been trying to open an HSBC Premier account in the UK for my wife as she had one in Canada and so far it’s taken 4 months and she still doesn’t have an account. Don’t ever use this bank their customer service is truly dreadful.

btar Dec 2nd 2021 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pingpong2021 (Post 13077620)
I filled in a form P85 on line at HMRC 6 weeks ago to notify them I was leaving the UK. It was processed in around 3 weeks and I received a tax refund.If You haven't set up an on line account at HMRC you can send the completed form directly to them, but on line is easier as you can track the progress of the form at the end. Its certainly worth the hassle of 5 minutes verifying your ID etc as once you're set top up you can also check your NI records, state pension, tax codes etc etc.

Wow! You did get super treatment. It's taken me about a year to get from P85 to seeing much progress at all. First HMRC said I had to wait until the end of the last UK tax year, then submit my income which I did. The reply said it would take them about 6 months to assess the position. When the response came (in October) it was another form asking for more details and an endorsement from CRA verifying my PR status so now I'm waiting for CRA - and still paying UK tax! The good news is that early on, CRA accepted my position and are not charging tax - yet!