Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Burke Brothers

Moved: Burke Brothers

Old Apr 11th 2008, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

deanonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved: Burke Brothers

Hi i would check on the forum for any recommendations but speaking to people over here i would say that the majority have some kind of horror story.

We know a couple that had there stuff put on the wrong ship and it ended up in China but that is very rare. I haven't spoke to anyone who got there container within four weeks most are between 8 and 12 despite what the shippers may tell you, although i am sure it can be done. Also most had stuff damaged. In hindsight i wish we would have checked on the packing of the important stuff and even got a bit of bubble wrap to put round the irreplacables. You need to prepare yourself for the possibility of being without furniture when you land for 4+ weeks too.

However all the hastle you might come across is merely a niggle in the grand scheme of what you are doing and it is most definitely well worth it. I personally don't think i will ever have any desire to go back to England.

Keep in touch, if you need anymore help/advice let me know.

Deano
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Laura1960 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moved: Burke Brothers

We have used Burke Bros on 2 overseas consignments. 1 to Dubai and the other to Atlanta. It looks as though we may be off on my husband's final assignment to Canada hence the reason I've signed up once more. However, we will use Burkes again but will insist on the same crew Daz, Glen and Danny. All three are great flirts but good at their job.They have been with the company for years and were excellent. 2 shipments and not any problems. Good luck with your choice.
Old May 1st 2008, 12:06 am
YAY! Here and Loving it!

EmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really nice

OOps!... I should have asked this question before making my choice.

Burke Bros are coming to me on Friday to pack and remove my things. I have been quoted 4 to 6 weeks ( shared container) and when I haggled them down on the price they told me they could do it because of opportune ( for me) increased volume to Toronto!! ( I told them I hoped that meant that 4 weeks was more likely than 6 then! )

Ironically I chose them because the guy went into great detail about how amazingly they pack everything and I too have lots of precious professional photos of my children which I am desperate to keep from harm.

He also played heavily on how each individual box or item is itemized and since some of my photos/paintings will be in their own box (apparently/ hopefully!!) I liked the sound of that too.

Sigh! I hope I am one of the lucky ones and if I'm not I'll only have myself to blame won't I, for not researching like you did deanonlisa!

Am definitely going to watch over them like a hawk after reading this, and let them know if I think they're not doing a good enough job!!

Wish me luck - looks like I'm going to need it!
Old May 1st 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaGrate

Burke Bros are coming to me on Friday to pack and remove my things. I have been quoted 4 to 6 weeks ( shared container) and when I haggled them down on the price they told me they could do it because of opportune ( for me) increased volume to Toronto!! ( I told them I hoped that meant that 4 weeks was more likely than 6 then! )

Ironically I chose them because the guy went into great detail about how amazingly they pack everything and I too have lots of precious professional photos of my children which I am desperate to keep from harm.

He also played heavily on how each individual box or item is itemized and since some of my photos/paintings will be in their own box (apparently/ hopefully!!) I liked the sound of that too.

Sigh! I hope I am one of the lucky ones and if I'm not I'll only have myself to blame won't I, for not researching like you did deanonlisa!

Am definitely going to watch over them like a hawk after reading this, and let them know if I think they're not doing a good enough job!!

We certainly DIDN'T get an itemised list of boxes from Burke Bros - just a scruffy list of the number of boxes - which didn't tie up with the total anyway

Hope you get better info about the whereabouts of your shipment!! I think ours was "lost" in their warehouse for weeks.

We had left several open flimsy boxes of goods to be packed properly into export boxes. One packer just shoved one of the boxes wholesale into the shipping box

Keep and eye on the packing!

Best of luck!
Old May 1st 2008, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by EmmaGrate

Yes just make sure you see them pack the important items. I too had exactly the same promises but the chap doing the promising dissapears after you accept the quote. Watch them pack the items and watch where they load it on the container. Remember the container is going to do alot of moving about so it needs to be tightly packed so stuff can't move.

I would stake a hefty wager that you won't get your stuff in 6 weeks especially as it is a shared container. Keep us informed. I am sure if you are vigilant when they are there you should be ok. Fore warned and all that.

Best of luck

Deano n Lisa
Old May 1st 2008, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Laura I don't want to sound sceptical/dis believing etc but it appears that the only people who have had good words about Burke Bros have only posted on this thread and nowhere else and also don't leave any personal details on there profile. Are you genuine?
Old May 1st 2008, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deanonlisa
Laura I don't want to sound sceptical/dis believing etc but it appears that the only people who have had good words about Burke Bros have only posted on this thread and nowhere else and also don't leave any personal details on there profile. Are you genuine?
Lisa

You put my thoughts into words

We had a part container and our stuff was packed into boxes at home but the furniture/large items were taken to the depot for "export" packing We were not told about this in advance. They only sent a quite small box/luton type van for everything and had to really squash everything in
Old May 1st 2008, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Laura1960 is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course I'm genuine. Isn't a forum a chance to exchange views. I speak as I find and my two shipments went fine. The first time we went overseas we used a company called Hoults when we lived in Newcastle and we had no problems with them either. Maybe we've been lucky but looking at the forum just about every moving company has been slagged off.

The only bad move we had was when we returned from South Africa and had a lot of stuff go missing. The mistake there was that it went into store before it was shipped.

Let's see how emmagrate gets on.
Old May 2nd 2008, 9:42 am
YAY! Here and Loving it!

EmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really niceEmmaGrate is just really nice

Well...so far so good. Burke Bros arrived at 9am prompt and are packing what seems to be very well. I am not leaving the room ( they are on coffee break at the mo!) and I am doing a running inventory alongside theirs and watching everything like a hawk which they seem to be ok with.

I had already packed most things into plastic crates so they are just wrapping them up or putting the crates into boxes so its quite straightforward really. I wanted the extra protection of plastic crates inside their boxes so that I already know whats in which box and hopefully will be less prone to damage too.

Anyway - will let you know more as and when.

We aren't leaving or 3 weeks yet so if I don't get my stuff for 6 weeks or so its not that bad for me - would have appreciated a more honest quote if thats the case though and will be sure to forewarn others if that does turn out to be the case.

More soon...... ( I hope!!)

Last edited by EmmaGrate; May 2nd 2008 at 9:42 am. Reason: spelling!!
Old May 2nd 2008, 10:52 pm
YAY! Here and Loving it!

Just a quick update - they took 6.5 hours to pack ( a part load) and a further hour to load. They seemed incredibly thorough, friendly, polite and accommodating (I was very fussy! lol). Everything was packed to my specifications and I am hoping that I am going to be one of the satisfied customers. Certainly this end was great. Had an indepth itinerary that I did myself in tandem with them and so now its just X fingers for everything to arrive and in one piece! :-)

Thumbs up so far..............!!
Old May 3rd 2008, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Excellent, i feel sure as you have been hovering over them they would have done a thorough job. I wish i had taken the time off to work to do the same now and watch over my coke cans. Fore warned and that.

To be fair to Burke Bros once it gets to port its pretty much handed over to others. Could just do with them keeping you informed though.

Keep us informed still best wishes
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Glad the packing went OK. I tried to "hover" but one packer was upstairs, one in the kitchen and one in the living room

Just make sure they keep you informed of the progress of your shipment. We were sick and tired of emailing from Canada and getting no reply. When we phoned Belinda (who was supposed to communicate with us) she was never available - either off sick or on holiday - and no-one else could help Perhaps we were unlucky but it caused SO much stress that could easily have been avoided.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:45 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We used Burke Brothers they came in to pack our stuff on the 28th August and we were told it would be in Australia in 6-9 weeks, i had not heard anything from them so i thought everything was going fine, i phoned them yesterday only to be told all my stuff is still sat at Wolverhampton, had someone let me know this was gong to happen i would not have left for Australia now we have a home and nothing to put in it. They promised to phone back last night and nothing we phoned them again, told they were sorting it and would e mail us over night just got up and you got it no e mail.
I'm so mad as we have handed over thousands to them to ship our goods and now i have to go back out and spend thousands more setting up a home
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MarkMC
We used Burke Brothers they came in to pack our stuff on the 28th August and we were told it would be in Australia in 6-9 weeks, i had not heard anything from them so i thought everything was going fine, i phoned them yesterday only to be told all my stuff is still sat at Wolverhampton, had someone let me know this was gong to happen i would not have left for Australia now we have a home and nothing to put in it. They promised to phone back last night and nothing we phoned them again, told they were sorting it and would e mail us over night just got up and you got it no e mail.
I'm so mad as we have handed over thousands to them to ship our goods and now i have to go back out and spend thousands more setting up a home
Mark - so sorry to hear about your problems with Burke Brothers. I know EXACTLY how you feel! It's like banging your head against a brick wall:curse:

Who did you speak to at Burke's? We were supposed to be dealing with Belinda but finally managed to speak to Gary Burke. I emailed him direct (do you have his email address?) and got through to him while he was on holiday.
He did chase his shipping manager up and things stated to move - albeit slowly:curse:

Best of luck

Jo
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:25 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
finally managed to speak to Gary Burke. I emailed him direct (do you have his email address?) and got through to him while he was on holiday.
Cant remember the name of the guy Kerry spoke to, but he was the "shipping manager" Do you know where Gary holidays? I might pop over and see him personally!!!:curse:

Im sure his email address will appear in my PM box shortly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.