Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Burke Brothers

Moved: Burke Brothers

Old Oct 16th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

deanonlisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved: Burke Brothers

Hi Just had a quote off Burke Brothers for moving all our belongings from Wolverhampton to Calgary. Price seems reasonable but unsure if Burke Bros are any good. Has anybody got any feedback?

Deano n Lisa
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:12 am
Jodders

jodrisco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved: Burke Brothers

Originally Posted by deanonlisa
Hi Just had a quote off Burke Brothers for moving all our belongings from Wolverhampton to Calgary. Price seems reasonable but unsure if Burke Bros are any good. Has anybody got any feedback?

Deano n Lisa
Can't recommend them enough, we dealt with one of the Burke brothers, Gary, last summer, service was excellent.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Great thats good news,

ta
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:47 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Great thats good news,

ta
You're going to believe someone you've never met on the internet? Can you be sure that 'jodrisco' isn't one of the Burke brothers and just hyping himself up?

I'm sure they're fine - a colleague used them and had good service.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

We used them and our goods haven't arrived yet

We are sharing a container and it should have left on the 2nd October but won't now arrive in Vancouver til the 6th December (if we are lucky!).

I appreciate delays occur with groupage but the lack of communication has been abysmal

Luckily we are rented a very nice furnished house
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:58 am
Jodders

jodrisco is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, can only give the experience we've had. As regards RICH's comment about 'believing someone you've never met on the internet', erm, that's how internet forums work isn't it RICH, or do you only post to people you personally know? Must be a very limited audience for you.

Originally Posted by R I C H
You're going to believe someone you've never met on the internet? Can you be sure that 'jodrisco' isn't one of the Burke brothers and just hyping himself up?

I'm sure they're fine - a colleague used them and had good service.
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 3:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jodrisco
Well, can only give the experience we've had. As regards RICH's comment about 'believing someone you've never met on the internet', erm, that's how internet forums work isn't it RICH, or do you only post to people you personally know? Must be a very limited audience for you.
And smilies work to indicate various types of humour or mood.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Well they have been and packaged the stuff well but unfortunately helped themselves to my cans of coke out of the fridge. It would have been polite to ask. I will wait to see when my furniture arrives before i make my ultimate judgement, but 'Cokegate' has left a sour taste in my mouth - no pun
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

sherrynic is an unknown quantity at this point

Well they have been and packaged the stuff well but unfortunately helped themselves to my cans of coke out of the fridge. It would have been polite to ask. I will wait to see when my furniture arrives before i make my ultimate judgement, but 'Cokegate' has left a sour taste in my mouth - no pun
Well..how did things end up? Have yo got all your belongings now and are you all settled in? We are considering using Burke Brothers in May but wanted to check their service from The Canadian side before going ahead.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 4:53 pm
esse quam videre

Looney is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be surprised if the blokes who deliver have ever heard of these people. Uk carriers only deal with the out bound then itis passed on to a van line company ie Allied Van Lines or a Great Canadian Broker depending where you are going. The best in Canada Is Tippet Richardson.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

We used Burke Brothers last August. The packing left a LOT to be desired! We were having grouped shipping and it should have left Wolverhampton at the end of September but finally left the middle of November - it would have helped if they had told us what was happening. Communication was dreadful

We finally received our goods at the end of December

Form your own opinion
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sherrynic
Well..how did things end up? Have yo got all your belongings now and are you all settled in? We are considering using Burke Brothers in May but wanted to check their service from The Canadian side before going ahead.
They were useless, my stuff took over 7 weeks which was probably out of there control but they never kept me informed. After the container had left our house it got delayed at the port and it had also changed from the container ship it was originally intended to sail on. I had to find this out for myself, I was never kept informed. I never received a phone call off them at any stage of the shipment. I never had my phonecalls returned or messages replied to.

When it arrived at my new home in Okotoks the company unpacking the stuff would not believe that i had paid a professional company to pack it. They thought I had done it. They repeatedly told me how badly it had been packed and that there would have been plenty of movement inside the container during transport. They have even put this on the bottom of there delivery documents.

When our belongings had been unpacked there was a fair amount of damage. I guess this was mainly due to the fact that the goods had not been packed correctly allowing too much movement within the container.

The most annoying incident was the packaging of some professionally photographed pictures of our Children. I made a strong point both to the sales guy that gave us the quote and the packagers to be very careful of how they packaged the photo's as we had spent a fair bit of money having them done prior to our emmigration. I was assured that they would be professionally packaged and not to worry. When they arrived at our new house we couldn't find them in any of the packages and got concerned. We eventually found them loosely put in a cupboard. The only packaging was a piece of brown masking tape put accross the cupboard door to stop it coming open. Due to the buffering the container received in the many weeks of transportation the pictures have been damaged around the sides.

So its up to you but I can not recommend them.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:28 am
Pea Brain

Oh dear, sorry to hear that

Perhaps jodrisco was a Burke Brother plant after all
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by R I C H

Perhaps jodrisco was a Burke Brother plant after all
I think he/she must have been

They only made 2 posts and they were both about Burke Bros!
Old Apr 10th 2008, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

sherrynic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for filling me in on Burke Bros. I just received their quote today and they are very competitive however, after your experience I think I will steer clear.

What a shame that your photos were damaged and not packed correctly! And it is a bit of a shock to hear the Canadian unpacker thought that you couldn't have possibly used a professional company.......certainly not a way to start your new life abroad!

Once again I thank you for taking the time to keep those of us still in the UK informed!

I think we will use Robinsons Int'l but will check their reviews first as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.