Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Alberta - health insurance on arrival

Moved: Alberta - health insurance on arrival

Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Judeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant future
Default Moved: Alberta - health insurance on arrival

Hi everyone

We are about to head off to Alberta (on a TWP). What did those of you already there do about healthcare? My husband gets health cover from his employer but I don't think it applies to me.

I know that there is state funded healthcare but from what I have read you need to be resident to qualify, is this right?

Any advice would be welcome!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:13 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta - health insurance on arrival

If you arrive in Alberta from outside of Canada, you are eligible for the provincial health care insurance plan from day one.

Read the BE Wiki article on Alberta Health Topics.

The provincial health care insurance plan does not cover dental work, eye glasses, and prescription medications outside of a hospital setting.

I have never heard of an employer-provided supplementary medical plan that did not cover spouses and children. In the unlikely event that your husband's plan does not cover you, read the Wiki article on Medical Insurance to find companies from which you can buy supplementary medical insurance. You may even want to consider being self-insured. Since the provincial health insurance plan covers catastrophic events (surgery, cancer, etc.), you may be comfortable being self-insured for the rest. That decision is up to you.

Postscript. When you arrive in Alberta on a TWP, you are considered to be a resident for the purposes of provincial health care insurance plan coverage (a point that the Wiki article covers too).

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Oct 25th 2007 at 8:23 pm. Reason: Definition of resident
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Moved: Alberta - health insurance on arrival

Originally Posted by Judeandandy
Hi everyone

We are about to head off to Alberta (on a TWP). What did those of you already there do about healthcare? My husband gets health cover from his employer but I don't think it applies to me.

I know that there is state funded healthcare but from what I have read you need to be resident to qualify, is this right?

Any advice would be welcome!
Not totally provincially funded health care more subsidized. for a family of 6 it cost us about $80/month I think. Sometimes the employer will deduct the premium and pay it direct to AHC. The employer also may offer a top up health care scheme to its employees and their dependants to cover what AHC doesn't allow for dental, eye care and prescriptions.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Journeyman Electrician
Not totally provincially funded health care more subsidized. for a family of 6 it cost us about $80/month I think. Sometimes the employer will deduct the premium and pay it direct to AHC. The employer also may offer a top up health care scheme to its employees and their dependants to cover what AHC doesn't allow for dental, eye care and prescriptions.
Alberta Health Care Premiums are $44 per month for an individual or $88 for a family of two or more.

Just about all employers will deduct those premiums at source. Some employers may cover the full cost or part of the cost for you.

Alberta Health Care Frequently asked questions.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Judeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant futureJudeandandy has a brilliant future

Thanks guys.

Judy, you are, as ever, a mine of useful information. Sometimes my mind starts to boggle when I am searching for a particular piece of info on the net and there are just too many sources. That has narrowed it a bit.

Andy's contract just says that the employer will cover him until he becomes eligible for state cover. We can check out whether I am covered too. I just didn't want to arrive in Calgary and overlook health insurance because we had so much else going on!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judeandandy
Thanks guys.

Judy, you are, as ever, a mine of useful information. Sometimes my mind starts to boggle when I am searching for a particular piece of info on the net and there are just too many sources. That has narrowed it a bit.

Andy's contract just says that the employer will cover him until he becomes eligible for state cover. We can check out whether I am covered too. I just didn't want to arrive in Calgary and overlook health insurance because we had so much else going on!

Hi Jude

Just wondered when you are heading out?

Gryph