British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is a move even possible (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/move-even-possible-935270/)

Gjd08 Oct 13th 2020 12:58 pm

Is a move even possible

Hi everyone

New to the forum and looking for some advice

We currently live in Lincolnshire myself, partner and our daughter currently 5. We moved from Essex to Lincolnshire and brought our first house. For many years we have wanted to emigrate and give our daughter a better quality of life and future prospects.

We decided to move to Lincolnshire and thought maybe we would be settled and happy, we love where we live but we just still feel like we want more out of life

My partner is a security technician we have looked online and found jobs within his role paying between 50,000 cad to 70,000 in Toronto.

My question is would this money even be possible to make the move we wouldn't want to live close to the city.

We don't expect to move and be better off we just want more than we feel the UK has to offer

​​​
​​

christmasoompa Oct 13th 2020 1:26 pm

Re: Is a move even possible

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Firstly, have you looked in to visas? No point in considering whether or not the salary would enough in Toronto if you'd need a job offer to get a visa and may only be able to get a sponsoring job in Edmonton, or Halifax, etc. If you do qualify for a visa without a job offer, then maybe a city with cheaper housing may be an option? I personally wouldn't want to move to Toronto on $50k for a family, although I'm not a fan of Toronto anyway so possibly slightly biased! But I'd say that would be tough and not give you a great lifestyle. Would you work too? That would make a difference if so.

What is it you're hoping for that you feel the UK doesn't offer? It may be a different area of Canada would be a better fit for you.

Tumbling_Dice Oct 13th 2020 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Gjd08 (Post 12921562)
Hi everyone

New to the forum and looking for some advice

We currently live in Lincolnshire myself, partner and our daughter currently 5. We moved from Essex to Lincolnshire and brought our first house. For many years we have wanted to emigrate and give our daughter a better quality of life and future prospects.

We decided to move to Lincolnshire and thought maybe we would be settled and happy, we love where we live but we just still feel like we want more out of life

My partner is a security technician we have looked online and found jobs within his role paying between 50,000 cad to 70,000 in Toronto.

My question is would this money even be possible to make the move we wouldn't want to live close to the city.

We don't expect to move and be better off we just want more than we feel the UK has to offer

​​​
​​

I am curious as to what it is you think Canada has to offer that the UK doesn't? If you are considering this type of move, you need to have a much more concrete set of criteria than a better quality of life or better future prospects. Break these down and see if you can find these in the UK or why you think Canada, as opposed to say Australia, offers what you want.

DMajor Oct 13th 2020 2:34 pm

If there's three of you I don't think $50-70k a year is gonna go far.
You'd need a 2 bed (minimum) size rental and in the GTA you could be looking between $1,500-2,500 a month depending on the area.
Add on all the extra living costs, travel, phones, insurances etc. and you could end up being worse off than you are now.
Also, consider the harsh winters over here, can be 5 months of cold and snow.
By the way, what is a security technician?