Reload this Page >

Motorcycle licence UK to Ontario

Motorcycle licence UK to Ontario

Old May 18th 2023, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

ribblerider is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Motorcycle licence UK to Ontario

Originally Posted by johnjkjk
Just to report the outcome here, the DVLA provided me with a copy of the actual reciprocal exchange agreement with Ontario, which includes cars and mopeds (as moped were bundled with cars at the time). There isn't a separate agreement for motorcycles, but the DVLA (in spite of any agreement or lack of) unilaterally recognises car and motorcycle license from any Canadian province or territory. In this instance, it is Canadian provinces like Ontario that are lagging behind.

Ontario didn't respond to my request for a moped license at the very least (as per their own agreement). I can easily upgrade moped to full by taking the test and potentially claim insurance savings for previous driving history, otherwise one has to pay thousands of dollars in course fees, tests and extra insurance.

So this is good news for Canadians moving to the UK but not vice-versa.

And certainly I agree that motorcycle riding isn't 12 months in Canada but it can easily be 7-8 which is good enough and can be a boon for those working in outdoor/seasonal trades like me.

Does seem harsh it's a one way street rather than two way. I have my bike licence aswell and we may be moving over. May need to consider punting my bike stuff then in advance as have no inclination going through various courses and tests again after spending a bit on direct access here.
Old May 18th 2023, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

johnjkjk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ribblerider
Does seem harsh it's a one way street rather than two way. I have my bike licence aswell and we may be moving over. May need to consider punting my bike stuff then in advance as have no inclination going through various courses and tests again after spending a bit on direct access here.
Depends where you're moving to. Most provinces do exchange a British motorcycle license. It's only Ontario and Quebec that make things difficult for motorcycle licencing and (very high) insurance. Alberta doesn't exchange but insurance is cheaper there and so the (apparently easy) course will pay for itself. BC is the most friendly in terms of exchange and insurance. So don't throw in the towel just yet!
Old May 24th 2023, 4:01 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ribblerider
if you come to Alberta you can either 'challenge the exam' without additional lessons or you could do a course in as little as a week Mon to Fri evening's, test on Saturday.
Old May 26th 2023, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

Hemlock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnjkjk
Depends where you're moving to. Most provinces do exchange a British motorcycle license. It's only Ontario and Quebec that make things difficult for motorcycle licencing and (very high) insurance. Alberta doesn't exchange but insurance is cheaper there and so the (apparently easy) course will pay for itself. BC is the most friendly in terms of exchange and insurance. So don't throw in the towel just yet!
MC insurance in BC is no bargain, we pay around $1900 a year for each bike. In BC you can do an exchange so long as you have held a full MC license for 2+years.