Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle licence Alberta

Motorcycle licence Alberta

Old May 21st 2010, 9:07 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Motorcycle licence Alberta

Originally Posted by blue monday
Maybe in CA but not in the UK, the majority of riders over here spend the evenings and weekends using the bike properly by getting to know it on proper twisty roads. One downside, yes you get to know how the bike handles on the limit but you leave little room for error. I personally am a believer in the graduated learner route, I went from 125, 250, 400 then 600's, the advantage is on the 125's and 250's your pushing the limits at lower speeds, when you get to 600's (im talking sport's bikes here) things happen a lot quicker. You can still have a serious accident at any speed but there is less reaction time at the speeds you get out of the bigger sports bikes for 'self-induced accidents'
I disagree. Most road riders of supersports bikes in the UK do not understand the limits of their bike or tyres. Many many many times i've seen people panic when they didn't need to. I would think many of those who don't make the corner due to excess speed would have done so had they known the bike and tyre capabilities and limits. That said, whether you hit dirt, gravel, liquid, roadkill, or a manhole cover leant over or under braking at 50mph or 100mph, you're probably going down the road.

The argument is that many road only users would ride the same way on a 600 whether they graduated from a 125 or not. Those without the experience could potentially fear the power at the wheel for a short while.

I still think the final part of a bike test is to spend a day on a race track understanding how a bike works at speed, under braking, and on slow and fast corners in a safer environment.

Last edited by el_richo; May 21st 2010 at 9:15 pm.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:14 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elizabeth_action
Perhaps you're right. But you can't legislate to protect a mature rider on a big bike but you can to minimise the risks to young riders as they start their riding career.
Yes but of all those i know who have been injured, killed, or just crashed without injury have been experienced riders (2+ years on sports bikes), including myself.

Again, i would think the young 'uns in cars are more likely to have an incident than those on a bike. The other issue is the car driver has more mass to cause damage and could easily have others in the vehicle with them.

If you legislate, you do so against both cars and bikes. Only problem with this is the user may have more road time under their belt but what's to stop them driving/riding like pillocks once they upgrade to huge power.

Old May 21st 2010, 9:16 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

^ +1

It's the born-agains returning to biking after a layoff that seem least capable of appreciating modern machinery and it's capabilities.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by el_richo
Only problem with this is the user may have more road time under their belt but what's to stop them driving/riding like pillocks once they upgrade to huge power.
Most riders will have learned their limitations, have a better respect for other road users and have their defensive riding habits better established. I'm not disputing that more accidents occur with older riders but it's a good idea to protect the vulnerable from their lack of experience and maturity.

My OH (also a biker of longstanding) agrees that there should be a limit on power, but not to have to make the riders sit more tests. Just that for consecutive periods, hp is banded.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

My OH (also a biker of longstanding) agrees that there should be a limit on power, but not to have to make the riders sit more tests. Just that for consecutive periods, hp is banded.
How does that help? I could have a monkey bike sat in the garage unused for 3 years, then splash out on a BMW S 1000RR. What proof is there that I've progressed to the point I can handle it?

Proper training from the outset makes more sense than relying on a rider developing skills with their own initiative, and assuming they've even been an active rider.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:45 pm
Beep

Most riders will have learned their limitations, have a better respect for other road users and have their defensive riding habits better established. I'm not disputing that more accidents occur with older riders but it's a good idea to protect the vulnerable from their lack of experience and maturity.
Again, i'm sorry but i disagree with this. Limitations on a 33bhp bike and a 130bhp bike, for example, differ hugely. So the experienced rider will still have to adjust and that step up in power is huge. The temptation to open the throttle, i believe, is there more with the experienced rider due to their often false confidence.

I also don't believe riders learn their limitations. For example, if a rider is surprised when approaching a corner that tightens midway, how many (experienced and inexperienced) would panic and yank the brakes or at the very best end up on the wrong side of the road? I would say a large number. The truth is the bike would probably be able to make it in most cases.

Many of those i've ridden with and seen who ride quickly (and often close to or beyond their capabilities) have been experienced (2+ years road riding). Those who have just passed their test and opt for the supersports bike tend to ride much more sedately due to fear.

All of this is based on my own experience whereby the incidents involved the experienced people (+2 years road experience).

Last edited by el_richo; May 21st 2010 at 9:51 pm.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:49 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by R I C H
How does that help? I could have a monkey bike sat in the garage unused for 3 years, then splash out on a BMW S 1000RR. What proof is there that I've progressed to the point I can handle it?

Proper training from the outset makes more sense than relying on a rider developing skills with their own initiative, and assuming they've even been an active rider.
^^^^^
What RICH says
Old May 21st 2010, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant futureelizabeth_action has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by R I C H

Mmmm, fair point.

Having said that, most people who have an interest in riding wouldn't pass the initial test and then languish as a car driver. They would be out there riding and improving.

Last edited by elizabeth_action; May 21st 2010 at 9:54 pm.
Old May 22nd 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

You can't 'train' the average 18yr old's gung ho/I'm-indestructable/watch-me-on-my-fast=Jap-bike attitude. You have to hope they'll be sensible.
Or - as a parent - you have the, "Not while you're living in my house!" talk. Or ride with them and train them off road- which is what I intend to do when they're a bit bigger.

After I've taught them to shoot a rifle.....
Old Jun 17th 2010, 2:02 am
Just Joined

zebra1 is an unknown quantity at this point

is that 5.56 or 7.62?

Last edited by zebra1; Jun 17th 2010 at 2:12 am.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Or - as a parent - you have the, "Not while you're living in my house!" talk. Or ride with them and train them off road- which is what I intend to do when they're a bit bigger.

That talk is why I have a tattoo and a snake.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:47 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by Caitilin
That talk is why I have a tattoo and a snake.
Swoon
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zebra1
is that 5.56 or 7.62?
For the kids I'll start with a single shot (bolt action) .22!