Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mother visiting from the UK

Mother visiting from the UK

Old Oct 26th 2020, 9:09 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother visiting from the UK

Jesus this thread is depressing. I guess this is one of the downsides of being an expat in the middle of a pandemic. It sucks not being able to see my parents in person, we might not have contracted this poxy COVID, but we sure are suffering in other ways.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 1:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

To add to the overall gloom.....

This past 10 years, I've been a frequent traveller (4-8 times a year) to the UK for work. That's enabled me to see way more of my parents (86 & 79) along with sisters, niece & friends than I otherwise would be able to. My last trip was Feb ("BC" Before Covid), my next? Who knows, My olds are in good shape - reasonable health & in semi-rural Norfolk & shielding to a large extent. But, the knowledge that there is no practical way to go see them if needed weighs heavily on my mind - and theirs. 14 days of quarantine at both ends makes it impossible, quite aside from not really wishing to travel to a higher risk area at present. My father, in particular, is getting quite depressed about it all. Difficult to get him to keep his chin up via FaceTime!

So I feel for everyone in a similar or worst position. This pandemic sucks.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 2:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Atlantic X. Our trip was cancelled this year and we hadn't done it for a few years. Parents getting on ( 80's ) and every year feels like the "last".

Fingers crossed for next summer.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on the other side .................... the parent wishing it was possible to visit with the daughter who is "only" on the opposite coast of Canada to me, yet we face all the same problems of travel, quarantine, et etc.

Yet, as the parent, I will say that we would be stupid to attempt the travel at this time, and I would say the same to any other 70+ year old asking the question.

It would be worrying for us, and worrying for the child .................. are we going to be able to do it safely, and are she and her family going to be safe. That applies to both sides thinking about the same questions!