Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mother visiting from the UK

Mother visiting from the UK

Old Oct 24th 2020, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mother visiting from the UK

Hi I hope you are all keeping well, we are looking at hopefully having my MIL over for about 3 months (end of Nov to end Jan) she is 70, my question is after looking at the Travel restrictions can we as Temporary workers have immediate family over and do we need a letter from the IRCC? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mother visiting from the UK

You will need to apply for an exemption

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...html#temporary

it might be just me but I think middle of a global pandemic is maybe not the best time for an elderly relative to be traveling internationally.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Lichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond reputeLichisadave has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks and yes we are aware that this may not be the best time for her to travel. But just wanted to see if it was possible and we wouldn’t consider it if it was for a few weeks stay.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 4:25 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Hi I hope you are all keeping well, we are looking at hopefully having my MIL over for about 3 months (end of Nov to end Jan) she is 70, my question is after looking at the Travel restrictions can we as Temporary workers have immediate family over and do we need a letter from the IRCC? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Where is she going to quarantine? It probably can't be with you unless you have a completely separate area. IF you were allowed to quarantine together then you and your household would also have to quarantine.

apart from all that I don't think she woukd be allowed in anyway..
Old Oct 25th 2020, 4:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Where is she going to quarantine? It probably can't be with you unless you have a completely separate area. IF you were allowed to quarantine together then you and your household would also have to quarantine.

apart from all that I don't think she woukd be allowed in anyway..
If you read the guidance it's a bit fuzzy about the accommodation that can be used for quarantine. It looks to me though that if you have a reasonably large house with perhaps a guest suite so your mother can have her own space then your good. There is no suggestion in the guidance that your household would have to isolate just because you have a quarantining guest. No doubt the corvid police on here will disagree!

guidance is here: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...hout_symptoms:
Old Oct 25th 2020, 6:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
If you read the guidance it's a bit fuzzy about the accommodation that can be used for quarantine. It looks to me though that if you have a reasonably large house with perhaps a guest suite so your mother can have her own space then your good. There is no suggestion in the guidance that your household would have to isolate just because you have a quarantining guest. No doubt the corvid police on here will disagree!

yep you're right, as long as there is a separate bedroom and bathroomPermitted during quarantine:

In your place of quarantine you may:
  • Live with family/friends who didn’t travel with you provided you have a separate bedroom and bathroom, if possible.
  • Use shared spaces such as a kitchen, provided you:
    • limit interactions with others in the household and wear a mask or face covering if a 2-m distance cannot be maintained;
    • thoroughly and regularly clean common areas after use.
  • Use private outdoor spaces (i.e. balcony).
Still it's academic really as I don't think she will be allowed in.
Old Oct 25th 2020, 6:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin

No need to isolate provided that they don't have ANY contact with the person who has travelled and is under self isolation!

• Do not quarantine in places you can’t separate yourself from those who live with you. For example:
    • in a group or communal living setting;
    • in a household with large families or many people;
    • in a shared a small apartment, or have roommates who have not travelled with you; or
    • at a camp, student dorm or other group setting where there is close contact and shared common spaces.
  • You may not leave your place of quarantine unless it is to seek time-sensitive medical services, or you have received authorization for a limited release from quarantine on compassionate grounds and stringently follow directives provided.
  • You may not have any guests even if you are outside and stay 2-m apart from them.
  • Do not use shared spaces such as lobbies, courtyards, restaurants, gyms or pools.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ion-sheet.html

https://www.ontario.ca/page/covid-19...read#section-4

How to self-isolate

Self-isolating means staying at home and avoiding contact with other people to help prevent the spread of disease.

You should self-isolate if you:
  • are in an at-risk group
  • think you have symptoms of COVID-19
  • think you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 or who has recently returned from travel
This means that you should only leave your home or see other people for critical reasons (like a medical emergency). Where possible, you should try to get what you need:
  • over the phone
  • from friends, family or neighbours
Your roommates or family you live with should self-isolate too, if they can.
and https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...f%20COVID%2D19.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 25th 2020 at 6:12 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all we have a self contained basement so no problems with self isolation. It’s a lot to think about and obviously we will check with IRCC before we make a decision. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel with regards to the Pandemic and the numbers in the UK and Europe increasing who’s to know when we will see our loved ones.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 12:01 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Siouxie
No need to isolate provided that they don't have ANY contact with the person who has travelled and is under self isolation!

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ion-sheet.html

and https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...f%20COVID%2D19.
Which means the mother would have to get herself from the airport to their house and into the basement without any contact at all with the OP and family otherwise they have to stay home for the fortnight.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 12:03 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Thanks all we have a self contained basement so no problems with self isolation. It’s a lot to think about and obviously we will check with IRCC before we make a decision. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel with regards to the Pandemic and the numbers in the UK and Europe increasing who’s to know when we will see our loved ones.
Many of us are in the same boat. Mum is 91 and that makes me wonder if I'll ever see her again.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 12:21 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Many of us are in the same boat. Mum is 91 and that makes me wonder if I'll ever see her again.
yep me too, Mom's health seems to have deteriorated rapidly since dad died. The fact that she can't get even a phone consult with her surgeon let alone the actual surgery isn't helping
Old Oct 26th 2020, 2:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Mum is 91 and that makes me wonder if I'll ever see her again.
Ditto. My mother is in the same ballpark agewise. She is still in remarkably good health for her age, but still I wonder.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 4:01 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
yep me too, Mom's health seems to have deteriorated rapidly since dad died. The fact that she can't get even a phone consult with her surgeon let alone the actual surgery isn't helping
I'm so sorry to hear this.
Originally Posted by Pulaski
Ditto. My mother is in the same ballpark agewise. She is still in remarkably good health for her age, but still I wonder.
It is worrying, I normally visit twice a year so I haven't visited since this time last year. My mum is in very good health for her years and tells me that she thinks she had the virus back in March when she says she was very sick and coughing. As she isn't one to make a fuss she would indeed have been very ill. I'm grateful for video calls and that she had a cochlear implant too and so we can actually talk to each other instead of typing. It makes a huge difference. She's very stoical about it all and says the early isolation was no different to when she was quarantined as a child for diptheria, better as she has television and the internet now.
I can't see any visits likely until an effective vaccine is up and running so what's that going to be, not next year.

Old Oct 26th 2020, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

It is a sad situation for all, my parents have both passed away which makes me realise how precious time is with loved ones. And thank goodness for modern day technology.
Old Oct 26th 2020, 4:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I can't see any visits likely until an effective vaccine is up and running so what's that going to be, not next year.
Yeah, I figure not until Christmas 2021 if we're lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.