Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Most cost effective accommodation? Hostel, lodge, hotel?!

Most cost effective accommodation? Hostel, lodge, hotel?!

Old Jul 25th 2014, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most cost effective accommodation? Hostel, lodge, hotel?!

Originally Posted by R I C H View Post
UBC is in Vancouver.

If you take a 12 month rental agreement, you're entitled to sublet in BC. Once a rental agreement is 6 months or more, it's your right as a tenant. It's not to be taken lightly though - you're ultimately on the hook for the hook for the terms of the rental agreement.

There's a lodge in Whistler owned by UBC aswell. It's in the Nordic area and so quite close to the village.
Other option in Whistler would be the Hi hostel, southside diner or looking for sublets on craigslist.

You will pay a hefty premium on a 6 month winter rental but lots of landlords are happy to rent for that period, some infact will only rent per season anyway as they jack the price up through the roof for winter. I tend to avoid them as in my experience their greedy mother somethings who are only interested in rent and have no interest in maintaining their property (sigh).
I hate hate hate the property market in Whistler.
If your just looking for a room then there's a good chance you'll not be the leaseholder anyway

Last edited by tee1; Jul 25th 2014 at 3:33 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2014, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

Nymeria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Most cost effective accommodation? Hostel, lodge, hotel?!

Originally Posted by beckiwoo View Post
Just to let you know, I did my serving it right certificate a few weeks ago. Really easy and it's multiple choice at the end but do allow an hour or two to read through the online learning material and take the little mini tests after each section

Also if you can and when you have printed and signed it, I would advice laminating the certicate ( it's credit card sized) but stops it getting damaged or ruined with water or you could just email it to yourself and print another one out
Ah thanks so much for the help becki! I'm going to take it next week on my day off. I feel like it's all coming around so fast now and there's still so much to sort out! I need to get my behind in gear now

Originally Posted by tee1 View Post
There's a lodge in Whistler owned by UBC aswell. It's in the Nordic area and so quite close to the village.
Other option in Whistler would be the Hi hostel, southside diner or looking for sublets on craigslist.

You will pay a hefty premium on a 6 month winter rental but lots of landlords are happy to rent for that period, some infact will only rent per season anyway as they jack the price up through the roof for winter. I tend to avoid them as in my experience their greedy mother somethings who are only interested in rent and have no interest in maintaining their property (sigh).
I hate hate hate the property market in Whistler.
If your just looking for a room then there's a good chance you'll not be the leaseholder anyway
Thank you again tee! Hostels are getting booked on Wednesday so I'm going to make a list of potentials tomorrow.

I think that's the main dilemma we're going to face in terms of renting. Whether we can afford a six month rental agreement or will have to settle on a room. I know we're not going to get a palace in Whistler for the money we have but I also don't want to live in squalor for six months I hope we strike lucky!