Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:44 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Keith
As to obtaining immediate acces to immigration, as someone that has been in Canada since 1963, I have seen a huge chnge in demographics.

When I arrived there were few visible minorities in Ottawa. Now we have large populations of just about every ethnic bacground. We have 4 medical doctors, one is Egyptian (Urologist) my dentist come from Barbados, our GP is from the UK and my wife's doctor is Portugese.

Most countries over the past 10 years have placed more obstacles in the way of potential immigrants. However if you meet those qualifications and are prepared to move to some place other than your first choice you will in time be accepted. The day's of the Colonies are far gone so don't look for special treatment.

interestingly enough (or maybe not) as I've already mentioned on this forum before, from my experience the 'red tape'/obstacles etc exist also between provinces. To recap briefly; my (canadian) wife, born in vancouver, went through the education system here etc, now teaching in a school in the lower mainland. We looked into the possibilty of living for a time in Ontario,to try somewhere different, but frankly it wasn't worth it. Despite being a qualified teacher here in BC (with experience), she would have had to go back to school to pick up some minor courses that would have made precisley zero difference to her teaching abilities (and of course she would not have been able to work as a teacher in the meantime). I'm sure it makes one or two people feel better inside, and helps justify their moral superiority over the rest of us, to believe that people are looking for special treatment, but in fact the obstacles exist even for canadians....
Old Aug 4th 2003, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

My physiotherapist is South African. She has been in Canada a year or so. She was telling me that when she came here she had 18 months to take the Saskatchewan exam, which she did and passed. However, she tells me that the rules have now changed. You have to come to Canada, take the exam and then go back home and wait for the results. This seems ludicrous to me. I don't know how much it costs to fly from South Africa, but it can't be cheap.

I have a friend whose son in law is a physiotherapist. About 5 years ago he and his wife came to Saskatchewan for a year. He passed the Saskatchewan physiotherapy exam then. They wanted to come back to Canada, but this time they wanted to go to BC. He had money to open his own clinic there and he had to jump through all kinds of hoops, including coming here to take the BC exam. I mean to say - how can British Columbia physiotherpy be any different from that in Saskatchewan?

And here we are crying out for physiotherapists.

My friend commented that if his son in law was from the third world, had no skills, and couldn't speak either official language - they would probably make things easy for him!! I am not here being racist - all I am saying is - when someone has a skill, can speak English or French and can assimilate swiftly into Canadian society - why the heck do they make it so difficult?
Old Aug 4th 2003, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by AndrewR
You ought to be careful flashman, or people are going to think you're a hypocrite. I remember a few of your previous posts, and insulting and arrogant certainly spring to mind.....

flashman a hypocrite! But surely not....
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Oh I Seeeee

As to our defence budget. I for one prefer to live in a country that spends it's taxpayers cash on more socially acceptable programs.

I would suggest that you direct your comments then to the 63% of canadians who (according to a on-line poll of 14000 people last year in the globe and mail) are ashamed of the current state of the canadian armed forces. That 63% are the people you need to convince ....
Old Aug 5th 2003, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

As to our defence budget. I for one prefer to live in a country that spends it's taxpayers cash on more socially acceptable programs.

I would suggest that you direct your comments then to the 63% of canadians who (according to a on-line poll of 14000 people last year in the globe and mail) are ashamed of the current state of the canadian armed forces. That 63% are the people you need to convince ....
Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:18 am
Release the hounds!

Originally posted by lizwil98
My physiotherapist is South African. She has been in Canada a year or so. She was telling me that when she came here she had 18 months to take the Saskatchewan exam, which she did and passed. However, she tells me that the rules have now changed. You have to come to Canada, take the exam and then go back home and wait for the results. This seems ludicrous to me. I don't know how much it costs to fly from South Africa, but it can't be cheap.

I have a friend whose son in law is a physiotherapist. About 5 years ago he and his wife came to Saskatchewan for a year. He passed the Saskatchewan physiotherapy exam then. They wanted to come back to Canada, but this time they wanted to go to BC. He had money to open his own clinic there and he had to jump through all kinds of hoops, including coming here to take the BC exam. I mean to say - how can British Columbia physiotherpy be any different from that in Saskatchewan?

And here we are crying out for physiotherapists.

My friend commented that if his son in law was from the third world, had no skills, and couldn't speak either official language - they would probably make things easy for him!! I am not here being racist - all I am saying is - when someone has a skill, can speak English or French and can assimilate swiftly into Canadian society - why the heck do they make it so difficult?
As an aside to this, I work with a family of kurdish Iranians (well the son anyway, who has learning disabilities)I'm not 100% sure of the ins and outs of it all, but I do know that the father is a trained architect and that the family have been in canada for approx. eight years, and the father is currently working as a pizza delivery man.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 3:49 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

The guy who delivered the turf for my garden is from the Ukraine. He is a bio chemist there - and has been here for nine years, entering on the strength of his profession. He has yet to get a job in his field, and has delivered pizza, worked in McDonalds, Wendy's etc. He can't even transfer his qualifications to a Canadian University, as here in arrogant old BC they will not even give him lower level credits to "upgrade" (ha ha) his degree. His wife was a cardiac nurse, yes, you guessed it, not recognised. They have three children, and they are on the poverty line. This is a common story. In my humble opinion, potential immigrants are still being misled by the promise of a life that just doesn't exist for most of them.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 4:34 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I was served by chap with an MSc in a menswear retailers. He worked for British Gas for 18 years in the Middle East, but was unable to get work in Alberta (and now BC) due to the lack of Canadian experience. I asked him why he stayed - he said the children love it here and they will reap the rewards of this move.

I have had pizzas delivered by folk with doctorates. I know a lovely Philipina - both she and her husband have doctorates - she is a server in a restauarant (although he has been able to find something in his field).

The Canadian government want people here to fill possible skill gaps. The points system implies the jobs are here - but that is a misconception

But there is the other side of the coin, most of the people I know succeed, and succeed very well.

The first 2 years tend to be a struggle (there are cultural and social differences! as well as adjusting to a different lifestyle, finding jobs, etc).

We have an advantage that we speak fluent English. Over half the immigrants to Canada can speak neither French or English. (Don't believe me?! Check out StatCan!!)

Clare
Old Aug 6th 2003, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

Possibly in Alberta, but certainly not in BC. The unions have way too much power here, each of them protecting their own little patch of territory, and making sure that no-one else can intrude. Coming from the relatively de-regulated labour markets of the UK it was all a bit of a shock actually.
I would definetely agree that the unions there have way too much power. I can't recall the exact details, but when I lived in Canada I remember reading that it has one of the worst records in the industrialised world for days lost through strike action.
Old Aug 6th 2003, 9:16 am
Release the hounds!

As an aside to this, I work with a family of kurdish Iranians (well the son anyway, who has learning disabilities)I'm not 100% sure of the ins and outs of it all, but I do know that the father is a trained architect and that the family have been in canada for approx. eight years, and the father is currently working as a pizza delivery man.

Forgot to say (replying to my own posting)...my father in law is a CGA, and he reckons he'd find it easier to qualify to work in the US, than to move and work within another province within Canada. Thats apopos to my earlier posting about red/obstacles existing between provinces....
Old Aug 11th 2003, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

celticheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Post easy on the surface, hellish to the core

:scared:

Having lived in Toronto for 5 years now, I must admit there're lots of seemingly unskilled labourers, who do make me wonder just how illogical and puzzling it is that a highly qualified (seemingly at least) person like Discouraged has to go through all these hassels without less-qualified others having them.

Many workers in McDonalds and other fast-food chains can hardly speak proficiently here in Toronto (besides food ordering, that is). The higher the ladder one occupies, the more difficult it is to relocate/immigrate? Where's the fairness in the system? What is fair? More asylums for the refugees? Or more immigrant visas, and easier process for the lawyers?

discouraged celticheart

Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of those countries have larger populations.
The small island nation of Fiji has taken part in virtually every UN peacekeeping operation, as has Canada.

What is socially unacceptable about equipping our military with decent tools to get the job done (whatever that job may be)?

What would be a socially acceptable program (or use of our tax dollars) in your estimation? The gun registry? pushing gay marriage? New jets for the PM? Yes we can certainly well afford to not only spend money on THESE types of programmes, but, in fact, afford to actually WASTE money on these and many others types of programmes, boondoggles and general government largess. And do so with impunity (not to mention good old Canadian smugness) as long as we let others defend us.

My comments re the gun registry are not those of someone pro gun (I am not) but rather someone anti government waste.
Old Aug 12th 2003, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by BigBill
I would definetely agree that the unions there have way too much power. I can't recall the exact details, but when I lived in Canada I remember reading that it has one of the worst records in the industrialised world for days lost through strike action.
In BC maybe but I don't get the feeling that there is all that much time lost in Canada (in general) through job action.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TimEh?
In BC maybe but I don't get the feeling that there is all that much time lost in Canada (in general) through job action.

Quite possibly Tim. I'm sure, living in Alberta, you've noticed the stream of corporations moving their head offices from vancouver to calgary (bringing with them lots of jobs) over the last decade, seeking to escape the regulations and taxes in BC.
Old Aug 17th 2003, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by TimEh?
What is socially unacceptable about equipping our military with decent tools to get the job done (whatever that job may be)?

What would be a socially acceptable program (or use of our tax dollars) in your estimation? The gun registry? pushing gay marriage? New jets for the PM? Yes we can certainly well afford to not only spend money on THESE types of programmes, but, in fact, afford to actually WASTE money on these and many others types of programmes, boondoggles and general government largess. And do so with impunity (not to mention good old Canadian smugness) as long as we let others defend us.

My comments re the gun registry are not those of someone pro gun (I am not) but rather someone anti government waste.
When it has been called upon for a real war, the Canadians have always come through( WW1 & WW2). Unlike the US.

Just because the US wishes to waste money on expensive military hardware should'nt influence us. Just because they decide to attack some small country on the pretext it is a threat, doesn't mean we have to be as stupid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.