Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by flashman
How much of the moaning is due to a sense of entitlement? I suspect that a lot of Canadians are leery of immigrants from the U.K because of their superiority complex based on status plus the fact that they also have a reputation as whiners.

You're quite right flash....'superiority complex'....'whiners'....gosh that describes you perfectly. btw....maybe for some people life is significantly better for them in the UK than canada....
Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

I understand that the Aussies have a term for those who continually harp on how good things were back 'ome.

They're called "Whingeing Poms".

How about 'smug canadians'?
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:21 am
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh I Seeeee

Originally posted by andybhoy
I am sure I read or heard, that Canada provides more in the way of peace-keeping abroad, per capita ,than most other nations.

As a percentage of GDP, canada devotes less money to defence than any other country in NATO (with the exception of luxembourg). Partly as a consequence canada has been overtaken in the 'peace-keeping' stakes by such countries as Ireland and Bangladesh, and approximately 20 other countries.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BCBOY
You're quite right flash....'superiority complex'....'whiners'....gosh that describes you perfectly. btw....maybe for some people life is significantly better for them in the UK than canada....

Thanks for the reminder. Add arrogant and insulting to that profile.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

I'm glad to see you're defining yourself so well....
Old Jul 30th 2003, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

How much of the moaning is due to a sense of entitlement? I suspect that a lot of Canadians are leery of immigrants from the U.K because of their superiority complex based on status plus the fact that they also have a reputation as whiners.

Canada is not so great that we should all be grateful to be given the opportunity to live here. Canada needs immigrants to grow and yet these days they seem to treat most of them terribly. This is what I personally cannot understand. It may have been different in the past but now there are just too many employees in the workplace, immigrants are finding it a lot more difficult and I don't understand why it should be acceptable to have to have numerous career changes, I find it downright ridiculous. I do accept that Canadian employees will be favoured but I think the reality of living as an immigrant in Canada should be made clearer to those applying. Also the value of a lot of education is increasingly decreasing here as a result of too many people undertaking it for absolutely no reason at all eg MBA (What a pointless qualification). I know a few people with these, one who has been made redundant recently and others who are struggling to find new jobs. And this is over people without them.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Scribbler
Not at all You make a very interesting and valid point.

I am not foolhardy enough to bellieve that I could survive on my teaching salary alone (although, pro-rata, in a private school, the pay isn't too bad at all!). I do have other irons in the fire to supplement my income and so on.

My point is (there's a point?) that anyone less creative/adaptive than myself WOULD find all this NOT just a struggle (as have I) but practically impossible.

I have looked upon this as an opportunity. Since I arrived in Canada I have acted on stage in a theatre after an absence of many years. That is something I would never have 'got round to doing' back in London. I would never have allowed myself the chance to take up teaching. As it is, I still occasionally work freelance as a graphic designer in TV, so (although here they use different software to the BBC) I am not completely out of the loop.

And what do I suppose a potential employer would think? That I've been creative enough to occupy my time and put my talents to good use during a period of excessive supply in my chosen field.

Sure, I could've played it safe and yet I can still go running back 'home', but I feel there are still many avenues yet to be exhausted.

:lecture:
Thank you for your reply. As you say, you are being adaptable and that deserves to be rewarded with success.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TimEh?
Wilf, like you I emigrated as a tradesman and worked in various trades (and non-trades in between) for the first 21 years; however, things started to go down hill (pay-wise, injuries and general feelings of "I can't take it anymore") so I got out trade work all together.

I went back to school (as they say here) and that meant no income for 3 years. My point is this: When things don't go according to ones expectations you do what you have to do to survive. My investment of 3 years has paid dividends over the past 11 years. There is a lot of moaning in this section (as I have mentioned in the Oz section) about how tough people say they find it here. If it was all easy I doubt that they would appreciate it anyway. It hasn't been all easy for me either but that's why I appreciate it here so much now.
For me, the thing is the beginning and how that goes. When I came to Oz, it was harder to buy a shirt than get a job and, like you, I got one in my usual area. Once you have the first job, you can bide your time, look for openings, and apply for better things from a position of having local experience and feeling confident because of being active in the workplace already. You can even build up funds and take a 3 year break from the workforce to retrain.

These days in Oz, I see young, talented people struggle to get into jobs - especially if they are white collar workers - right from the beginning, and that knocks them hard. I agree that once you have both feet in your new country then you "do what you have to do to survive", and try to inch your way towards where you want to be in life. However, I think that if the beginning goes very badly, and you are just getting rejected everywhere you turn, then going onwards to your original country - I do not say "back" because that gives the wrong impression - should be considered. I would especially suggest that as an option if, during your unemployment, the shine has started to wear off the new country for you. Time and the world go by while someone is out of work, and it is like quicksand.

Last edited by Wilf; Jul 30th 2003 at 10:40 am.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:25 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

You ought to be careful flashman, or people are going to think you're a hypocrite. I remember a few of your previous posts, and insulting and arrogant certainly spring to mind.....
Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by AndrewR
You ought to be careful flashman, or people are going to think you're a hypocrite. I remember a few of your previous posts, and insulting and arrogant certainly spring to mind.....

Ahhhhh! That explains why I'm not liked here in Canada and people keep telling me to go home and take my bagpipes with me.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 9:02 am
Just Joined

ljevans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

Originally posted by discouraged
I have looked around. Forget law, how about a far more important profession as an example, which has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread: nursing. Canada (apparently) urgently needs skilled nursing staff, and is (apparently) begging for skilled nursing staff from abroad to drop well paid jobs at home to join its profession.

However, when such highly-skilled applicants do go to the considerable trouble of applying, they quickly discover that Canada's need isn't really that urgent. If it was, would it really want to delay the application of their skills by requiring them to pass Canadian exams (often for qualifications of a lower standard than those they already hold) and jump through whatever other hoops happen to take their fancy at the time; and having done so, demean them and insult their professionalism by expecting them to start at the bottom of the pile?

The only conclusion I can reach is that Canada is not serious about wanting skilled people from abroad. If it was, it wouldn't give them such a hard time and treat them so appallingly.
I agree with you here - I have first hand experience at the traumas and obstacles, red tape etc put in the way of foreign trained nurses. I with `hindsight` foolishly! left my job as a senior staff nurse in psychiatry to seek employment opportunities in Ontario, now I am awaiting to return to U.K to resume work...
Ah well! such is life...
Old Aug 2nd 2003, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

As a percentage of GDP, canada devotes less money to defence than any other country in NATO (with the exception of luxembourg). Partly as a consequence canada has been overtaken in the 'peace-keeping' stakes by such countries as Ireland and Bangladesh, and approximately 20 other countries.

Uhh-ohhh! For gawds sake don't mention the 40 year old helicopters, which keep on falling from the sky, and are something of a national embaressment. :scared: For gawds sake, don't do it!
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

Most of those countries have larger populations.
The small island nation of Fiji has taken part in virtually every UN peacekeeping operation, as has Canada.

As to our defence budget. I for one prefer to live in a country that spends it's taxpayers cash on more socially acceptable programs.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Keith
Most of those countries have larger populations.
The small island nation of Fiji has taken part in virtually every UN peacekeeping operation, as has Canada.

As to our defence budget. I for one prefer to live in a country that spends it's taxpayers cash on more socially acceptable programs.

Good point. Maybe it's a matter of defining whhat the military is supposed to be doing such as peacekeeping, defence, empire building/colonization.
Old Aug 4th 2003, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Keith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of lightKeith is a glorious beacon of light

As to obtaining immediate acces to immigration, as someone that has been in Canada since 1963, I have seen a huge chnge in demographics.

When I arrived there were few visible minorities in Ottawa. Now we have large populations of just about every ethnic bacground. We have 4 medical doctors, one is Egyptian (Urologist) my dentist come from Barbados, our GP is from the UK and my wife's doctor is Portugese.

Most countries over the past 10 years have placed more obstacles in the way of potential immigrants. However if you meet those qualifications and are prepared to move to some place other than your first choice you will in time be accepted. The day's of the Colonies are far gone so don't look for special treatment.

Last edited by Keith; Aug 4th 2003 at 5:57 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.