Mosquito magnets

Wikiposts

Mosquito magnets

Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road
Default Mosquito magnets

Hi
has anyone ever used or heard of the 'Mosquito magnet', came across it in a canadian magazine.The advert ran to the effect that the propane fueled gadget sends out co2 to attract the mosquitos who then are trapped and die.This they say after 4-6 weeks will interupt the breeding cycle and then reduce the mosquito population, over up to 1 acre,by 80 -90%.
Sounds good but does it work? Do i need to buy one once we are in Nova Scotia?Does it work with black fly?
Mike.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:31 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: Mosquito magnets

Originally Posted by mikejw
Hi
has anyone ever used or heard of the 'Mosquito magnet', came across it in a canadian magazine.The advert ran to the effect that the propane fueled gadget sends out co2 to attract the mosquitos who then are trapped and die.This they say after 4-6 weeks will interupt the breeding cycle and then reduce the mosquito population, over up to 1 acre,by 80 -90%.
Sounds good but does it work? Do i need to buy one once we are in Nova Scotia?Does it work with black fly?
Mike.
According to the advert, it works on black fly too.

http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/

No idea if it works, but it certainly sounds good to me!!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:02 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Hi
Mike.
Hi mikejw, funnily enough squiters realy bug me lol, and I was recently thinking along the same lines as you, as we are moving to NS and near the water, I guess we will suffer with the bug-gers. I was trying to find a price for one of those smoke machines that look like leaf blowers so that I could smoke um out.Your magnet thingy sounds like a good theory though.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Happydayz
Hi mikejw, funnily enough squiters realy bug me lol, and I was recently thinking along the same lines as you, as we are moving to NS and near the water, I guess we will suffer with the bug-gers. I was trying to find a price for one of those smoke machines that look like leaf blowers so that I could smoke um out.Your magnet thingy sounds like a good theory though.
Hi
price from canadian tyre is $400 ish for a 1/2 acre model,$500 for a 1 acre model...+HST.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:36 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Hi
price from canadian tyre is $400 ish for a 1/2 acre model,$500 for a 1 acre model...+HST.
Yikes!!! I think I'd rather scratch!!! :scared:
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a "skeetervac" instead (canadian tire or WalMart), and it does an OK job. Bit expensive to keep feeding it propane (A tank every three weeks), and the proprietary sticky pads(supposed to be every month, but I skip on that)

I think the SkeeterVac is better value than a MossyMagnet as it doesnt need a power cord so I'm not limited where i can put it, and it covers a much larger area for the money, and seems to be at least as effective.

I have the one acre model, and as I said, its OK, sometimes it catches a lot, sometimes it doesnt. It does seem to get some blackfly, but thats not a huge problem where I am. Did manage to reclaim parts of my yard from the little bastards last year at least, and I have it out already this year, so I hope to break the breeding cycle earlier, although where I live next to an almost stationary part of the river with a big farmers pond in the field behind me I dont fancy my chances of eliminating everything.

Worth it for the psychological benefit of fighting back anyway. Once you get over the sticker shock .
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There shite...they say they cover a large area, but they don't, it's really only a small area, which means the mozzies are so much worse around that area...the gym had a couple on the tennis courts, and you'd get eaten alive just out by the courts....and in the courts as well actually.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:13 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Think about it people!!!

Mosquito magnets, bug zappers outside... anything that attracts mosquitos are only useful for you if its your neighbours who have them, not you!

An enclosed space is another matter, but putting one in your backyard is like installing a neon sign that reads "All you can eat buffet!"
Old Apr 26th 2005, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Think about it people!!!

Mosquito magnets, bug zappers outside... anything that attracts mosquitos are only useful for you if its your neighbours who have them, not you!

An enclosed space is another matter, but putting one in your backyard is like installing a neon sign that reads "All you can eat buffet!"

LOL
Old Apr 27th 2005, 12:48 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Think about it people!!!

Do you have any experience of what you are talking about? Our device does make a noticable difference, and unless you are stupid enough to sit right next to it it does not work like an all you can eat buffet!.

Last i heard there were no mossies west of the rockies. Do not use any of these devices in an enclosed space, they emit CO2 or CO, neither of which will do you any good in an enclosed space!

Yes, they attract the mossies in there range (which is as Bob says a lot less then advertised), how else are they going to kill them?. Dont stand right next to the damn thing ,thats why being able to put it away from the house is a necessity...the power cord for the mosquito magnet makes this difficult, thats why I chose the skeeter vac, it makes its own power with a thhermoelectric generator. Cant speak for the other brands, but our yard is not as plagued as it used to be. Not 100% effective, but perhaps 50% better.

The thing to remember is that any mossies you can kill early in the season are not going to be able to breed, and their offspring will not exist to breed etc etc, so the trick is to get them early in order to benefit later on.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 27th 2005 at 12:50 am.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Hi
You would probably be wise to invest in one as you will most likely need it in Fall river. As for it catching the black flies I have no idea, but I thought it was great at catching mossies!...Make sure you get your self a bug jacket to keep the black flies off. I don't think you will see to many black flies in the late evening. In NS they have a saying the black flies come on Mothers day and leave on Fathers Day...so they will be here soon.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Mosquito Magnet, the smaller one and I have a large city lot. My friends out on an acreage have two of the larger ones. The secret is in the placement of the unit. Obviously if you are sitting on your deck you don't want the Magnet on the deck attracting all the mosquitos. There is a booklet with suggestions and you can also email or phone the manufacturers to get help with placement. I found them really helpful and they replied quickly.

I would prefer to spend $400 or triple that - to avoid getting West Nile Virus!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:13 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by lizwil98

I would prefer to spend $400 or triple that - to avoid getting West Nile Virus!
Only way to guarantee that though is to bathe in DEET :scared:
Old Apr 27th 2005, 3:16 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Deet is my other best friend
Old Apr 27th 2005, 5:46 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by iaink
Ok guys. ...... getting a little worried here

West Nile Virus ! ? ! Must be bad to get it as far west of the Nile as Canada!

And what is Deet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.