Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mortgages - new immigrant

Mortgages - new immigrant

Old Jul 26th 2013, 1:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgages - new immigrant

Originally Posted by james.mc
Not sure when you landed, but the impression I was given is that a new immigrant (with no job) is required to put a minimum of 35% down plus prove they have extra funds deposited to pay the mortgage for a specified period. In the case of Scotiabank they wanted 24months proof of funds over and above the 35% down.

Here is another link that paints a similar picture for new immigrants.

Terms and conditions may vary from financial institution to institution, but I suspect the 35% down is becoming a Canada wide finance institution requirement for new immigrants with no job.

Generally speaking, if you can show that you have been working in Canada for two years and you can afford 20% down you'll likely qualify for a “conventional” mortgage as opposed to a 'new immigrant' mortgage.

If anyone sees it differently, throw it into the pot
My broker told me provided it was classed as a full time job (more than 32 hours a week) and had a letter confirming that the probationary period was finished, there was no minimum time working.

I had only held my job for 3 months when I applied. Despite being in Canada for 10 years, I qualified for the New Immigrant scheme as I had recently separated from my husband (confirmation required) and my son had only been in Canada for less than a year.

As I mentioned earlier, CMHC have a scheme for new immigrants where you can put as little as 10% down, though my broker suggested 20% so as not to incur the CMHC insurance fees.

It really does depend on who you contact. If anyone wants the name of my broker, pm me!
Old Jul 26th 2013, 2:52 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I was working and similar to Siouxie I had to show a letter from my employer saying I'd finished my 3 months probationary period.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Terms and conditions may vary from financial institution to institution, but I suspect the 35% down is becoming a Canada wide finance institution requirement for new immigrants with no job.
35% down has been the requirement for a no-status mortgage for some time. We bought our first Canadian home with 35% deposit and no jobs. This was in 1999. I think the logic is:

a) You have a lot of your own money invested in the house so are unlikely to walk away.

b) If you do walk away there is sufficient equity in the house for the bank to sell it quickly at a knock down price and still get enough to pay off the mortgage.
Old Jul 26th 2013, 3:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As for a bank requiring you to deposit 24 months repayments that is a nice little earner for them. You borrow $200,000 at 4% on the condition you lend the bank $25,000 at 0.25%. The bank is really lending you $175,000 at a very nice (for the bank) effective interest rate.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 9:57 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
35% down has been the requirement for a no-status mortgage for some time. We bought our first Canadian home with 35% deposit and no jobs. This was in 1999. I think the logic is:

a) You have a lot of your own money invested in the house so are unlikely to walk away.

b) If you do walk away there is sufficient equity in the house for the bank to sell it quickly at a knock down price and still get enough to pay off the mortgage.
Which is what we did and what the OP (new immigrant) is looking at from what I can gather, given the mortgage advisers response.

People, with a job in Canada, discussing the different rates they secured, is confusing the issue methinks

Last edited by james.mc; Jul 27th 2013 at 10:00 am.
Old Jul 27th 2013, 12:19 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

We bought our house just over a year ago, when we opened our account with TD, they were offering 'new' imigrants mortgages of bank base rate plus 1% fixed for 25 years, and you could borrow up to two thirds of the market value of your house. I think they still do.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 11:11 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
We bought our house just over a year ago, when we opened our account with TD, they were offering 'new' imigrants mortgages of bank base rate plus 1% fixed for 25 years, and you could borrow up to two thirds of the market value of your house. I think they still do.
Which kind of ties in (ish) with 35% down we were required to put down as a deposit.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by maxibhoy
Thanks for the replies all. I think I'll double check with one of the other branches and see if I'm given similar info. It seems from all your replies that what is being offered to me is not the norm. I initially wanted to put down a 50% deposit but the advisor said that the better option was the 35 down with 24 mths security which I don't really agree with.
The mortgage broker gets a fee based on how much the mortgage draw is. The more you borrow the bigger their commission is. I can see why the broker would suggest that it is better (for them at least!)
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Which is what we did and what the OP (new immigrant) is looking at from what I can gather, given the mortgage advisers response.

People, with a job in Canada, discussing the different rates they secured, is confusing the issue methinks
But the OP has at no time stated whether he has a job or not, so both apply surely?
Old Jul 28th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Which kind of ties in (ish) with 35% down we were required to put down as a deposit.
Spot on James...but I'm mainly useless at Maths....except when it affects me! Well done:thumbup

P.S. they knew I wasn't working, as I hadn't even 'arrived' as I'd just landed.

Last edited by MillieF; Jul 28th 2013 at 11:58 pm. Reason: Need for p.s.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:42 am
All Sooked up!

Originally Posted by siouxie
But the OP has at no time stated whether he has a job or not, so both apply surely?
True. They haven't actually stated that they have a job or not.

However,
  • New immigrant
  • New start-right account
  • Adviser told them they must put 35% down
Exactly where we were when we arrived this year and didn't have jobs.

Plus
We took out a new mortgage with Scotia in March this year.

It was 35% down. No question about that.
No job (in Canada) either.

We were required to deposit 24months mortgage payment in our account (on top of the required 35% down) however, once the mortgage was approved and funds released, we were free to use the deposited 24months payments as we wished. We bought a Jeep
Thanks James.

The difference in my case is that the advisor stated that this 24 month deposit would be used to pay my mortgage for the next two years. I.e I would have no further mortgage payments for two years.

When did they release the funds was is at the end of the 24 months or when you drew the mortgage down. What further proof of affordability did they ask for? I would assume that they still need comfort about how you will manage the repayments. Is this not normal.

Thanks
So, the OP read my post which mentions 'No job (in Canada) either' and the only difference they highlighted was the deposit requirement. If they had a job I guess that would have been listed as a difference between ours and their scenario.

The deposit requirement alone is (to me at least) a fair indication that even if they have just started a job there is not enough proof of earnings history to warrant a lower deposit, so it's not worth debating at this juncture. Might be a different deal is say 2-3 months though, I'll give you that.
Old Jul 29th 2013, 8:45 am
All Sooked up!

Thanks James.

The difference in my case is that the advisor stated that this 24 month deposit would be used to pay my mortgage for the next two years. I.e I would have no further mortgage payments for two years.

When did they release the funds was is at the end of the 24 months or when you drew the mortgage down. What further proof of affordability did they ask for? I would assume that they still need comfort about how you will manage the repayments. Is this not normal.

Thanks
Actually..... do you have a job and if so, has this been considered by the bank at all?