Wikiposts

Mortgages

Old Oct 28th 2013, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Jimjoiner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mortgages

Hi all

I have just read the Wiki on mortgages - very helpful!! And I realise that the immigration page may not be the correct place for this question - so sorry!!

BUT - I have a very basic question which i would like confirmation on if at all possible...
I have just got a second positive LMO and wioll shortly be embarking on a 2 year TWP -with an application going in shortly for PR under the Canada experience Class...
Are there restrictions on mortgage offers/deals if your status is just temporary? Logically if you can make the repayments there shouldn't be an issue, and we have a high percentage deposit (70%+) - but I thought I had better check before we get too excited about buying a house.

Thanks everyone!!

JJ
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:34 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgages

If you are putting 70% down then you should have no problem getting a mortgage for the balance.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 3:25 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jimjoiner
Hi all

I have just read the Wiki on mortgages - very helpful!! And I realise that the immigration page may not be the correct place for this question - so sorry!!

BUT - I have a very basic question which i would like confirmation on if at all possible...
I have just got a second positive LMO and wioll shortly be embarking on a 2 year TWP -with an application going in shortly for PR under the Canada experience Class...
Are there restrictions on mortgage offers/deals if your status is just temporary? Logically if you can make the repayments there shouldn't be an issue, and we have a high percentage deposit (70%+) - but I thought I had better check before we get too excited about buying a house.

Thanks everyone!!

JJ
You might want to check out Manulife one account, this is a very flexible product that encompasses all your spending and saving in one place, really good if you have a lump sum to add to your account, much like the Virgin one account. Works on a variable rate or mix and match with variable and locked in rates from between 3.5% and 2.9%, interest only on the variable part, repayment on the locked in part. Great if you have a lump sum or will have house sale proceeds from the UK still to come to Canada.

Regards

Andrew
Old Oct 30th 2013, 2:26 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Normally, if you have more than a 20% deposit you're OK.

However, even though this was the case for me, I was still obliged to take out a one-off CMHC insurance policy (because I was on a TWP).

It added ~$1500 to the costs

This was in Saskatchewan with CIBC. The same was not true in Ontario where my mortgage was with TD.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Until you have PR you can only buy two houses... We had to rent house no3 until our PR came through