Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

More reasons to leave the uk

More reasons to leave the uk

Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:26 pm
swoops

swoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to allswoops is a name known to all
Default Re: More reasons to leave the uk

I'm with you on this one sums it all up in just a few words.
Originally Posted by deborah mccarthy
What about if you work you get nothing. If you are on Benefits the world is your oyster.

I hate the place I am in Let me out of here !!!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If I flew that from my deck instead of the UJ people would just think I am a first aider...

LOL
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

deborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura about

LOL If you live in England you want to fly the red cross not the union jack. Something about going it alone with out the rest of the U.K England pride I think they call it.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:44 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

last Saturday was St George's day, England's patron saint, so I went into town to buy my husband a card. only 1 card shop had any in stock, and they were kept underneath the till. the staff said they don't bother putting them out as no one ever buys them, and the only one they'd sold was to me!!!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 3:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
last Saturday was St George's day, England's patron saint, so I went into town to buy my husband a card. only 1 card shop had any in stock, and they were kept underneath the till. the staff said they don't bother putting them out as no one ever buys them, and the only one they'd sold was to me!!!
Does anyone give "Canada Day" Cards though? I dont know anyone, and havent seen any. At least we celebrate Canada Day with fireworks and all that, but I guess Guy Fawkes in its way is a celebration of the nation. Maybe it would be better to cellebrate St Georges Day, but then the Scots Welsh and Irish would be left out. Cant win.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

The only major problem I ever had with Britain was the wave of anti-social behavior, i.e chavs. They really do make your life a misery.
All the other things people complain about here also occur in Canada to some degree.
You get plenty of rude people in Canada and the traffic here is perhaps worse than in Britain. Certainly road rage is worse over here if the cacophony of horns and beeping is anything to go by.
It may not rain as much in Canada, but the snow gets extremely wearing after a while.
Also suggestions that Canada is a very patriotic state is frankly absurd. I would say Britain is more patriotic than Canada. Canada is an extremely lose federation of provinces most of which have little in common and often openly despise eachother.
The west hates the east, Quebec hates Canada and everyone hates Ontario!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

KennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to allKennyJosie is a name known to all

Iaink,
The Irish celebrate St. Patrick and the Welsh celebrate winning the rugby and us Scots celebrate anything LOL , so why shouldn't you celebrate St. Georges day?
I'm all for a party!!!!!
K
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KennyJosie
Iaink,
The Irish celebrate St. Patrick and the Welsh celebrate winning the rugby and us Scots celebrate anything LOL , so why shouldn't you celebrate St. Georges day?
I'm all for a party!!!!!
K
Just kind of proves the point though that Britain is not really a nation, just a collection of countries, each still distinct. No wonder there is confusion about cellebrating britishness. Although there is a rivally between different provinces here, the nation still gets very patriotic for Canada as a whole (except maybe some corners of Quebec?)

Once again I dont really recognise the Canada that Seacreature lives in...give me canadian trafic anytime. Maybe thats just a Toronto thing, I haven heard a horn beep outside of the GTA, except to waive me into traffic, for years
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

deborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura aboutdeborah mccarthy has a spectacular aura about

With you on that one
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

The last Straw....
Attached Thumbnails More reasons to leave the uk-chavmobile.jpg  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:40 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
..... but not UJ's.
I think that technically it is not permittied to display the Union Flag (not Jack btw) in the UK without permission from Her Majesty (or someone) !!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
Just kind of proves the point though that Britain is not really a nation, just a collection of countries, each still distinct. No wonder there is confusion about cellebrating britishness. Although there is a rivally between different provinces here, the nation still gets very patriotic for Canada as a whole (except maybe some corners of Quebec?)

Once again I dont really recognise the Canada that Seacreature lives in...give me canadian trafic anytime. Maybe thats just a Toronto thing, I haven heard a horn beep outside of the GTA, except to waive me into traffic, for years
Yes, I live in Toronto. The traffic here is easily as bad as anything I used to see in Leeds. I'm only comparing like with like.
If you live in Yellowknife or somewhere obviously you won't recognise the same problems!
Old Apr 25th 2005, 4:49 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by seacreature
Yes, I live in Toronto. The traffic here is easily as bad as anything I used to see in Leeds. I'm only comparing like with like.
If you live in Yellowknife or somewhere obviously you won't recognise the same problems!
Cant really compare Leeds with TO, except for the lack of a decent Soccer team Used to live there, never thought the trafic was particularly bad, but that was over 10 years ago. Norwich was a nightmare for one way systems and trafic snarl ups, Generally trafic in Canada flows a lot better, and I find drivers a lot less aggressive, even when I go to Toronto. Must just be me. When I arrived here I couldnt believe how often I was waved out into queues that in the UK you would have cut up your own granny to keep one car ahead in.
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:00 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

[QUOTE=iaink]Cant really compare Leeds with TO, except for the lack of a decent Soccer team....QUOTE]

They play soccer in Leeds??
Old Apr 25th 2005, 9:38 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Unhappy Re: More reasons to leave the uk

Originally Posted by deborah mccarthy
What about if you work you get nothing. If you are on Benefits the world is your oyster.

I hate the place I am in Let me out of here !!!!
how true...i deal daily with young girls telling me they hope the have yet another child on the way, as it means more benifit.....what kind of a country rewards our youth with cash for kids!!!! I know this may offend but belive me I deal with this daily and I cant get my head round it!!!!.........so I to cant wait to get away from it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.