Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

More or less grown up here, but I'm miserable.

More or less grown up here, but I'm miserable.

Old Oct 1st 2015, 12:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More or less grown up here, but I'm miserable.

Largest piece of construction in the world that wasn't done by humans, I'll have you know. Beavers can build really big dams.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lottie95
Hi, thank you to those who replied. Yes, I have dual citizenship as of last year. I need to renew my recently expired british passport however, as I (mortified), had to show my new Canadian passport at manchester airport coming back. They asked me so many questions until I showed them my british one, despite it being expired!

Yes, I have posted here before however with less certainty then vs. now. I agree with those who feel that at 20, I shouldn't be so overridden by my mother. But this is an embedded dynamic that will likely follow me into my fourties, fifties if she's still around then. This is a reason why I am unhappy and need to make a change.

I have made (albeit small) steps in to getting where I want to be. My college offers an international placement, so I acted fast and have gotten a good response from the co-ordinator of the program so far. This would involve me doing my field placement (that I would normally do here) in England for my last college semester. If they were to offer me a job, I would be in a great place. Even if they didn't, I still have experience as a student in a british child care centre, which would surely help me when looking work over there.

If I was you I would absolutely move to England, at 20 there is plenty of time to move back if you hate it....do you have the support of your Dad??
Old Oct 1st 2015, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The Foreign Legion.
At least you can eventually get a French passport out of that

Anyway...

OP, I am in a similar situation to you, sort of... I'm almost 17 now, I've grown up here too, I was even born here. I'm not British, my mum's side of the family is Maltese. I've got dual citizenship Maltese and Canadian so I am set there as well. I agree with you on all points, the culture here is virtually non-existent, lol. When I was back home in the summer, I had to take a step back when I was visiting some of the historical sights and realise "These floors i'm standing on [original from 14-1500s] are older than even the conceptual idea of Canada". I hate the weather. (Seriously. It was 6c today. Happy October? ) I much prefer the mild Mediterranean climate.

Anyway, for about 5 years now, since I was 11 (!) i've wrestled with the idea of moving "back" to Malta, or at least Europe in general, which led to getting my dual citizenship, etc, so now i'm waiting out high school and uni, and hopefully making the move in 2021 or so. I've come around to being rational and patient about it, however, and while i'd like nothing more than to be handed a oneway plane ticket, an awesome job opportunity, and a reassurance that everything will be alright, that isn't gonna happen. It sounds like you have this part in order, you have UK experience, you're doing college, and you graduate soon, so you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you've been thinking about this for a while, which it seems you have been, I would definitely say move back. You're young, you don't have any dependants, and you have welcoming family waiting for you. The Canadian economy is in the shitter anyway at the moment, so you probably have better job chances back home.

Cheers
Old Oct 3rd 2015, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Margot01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just visited Canada for the first time in my life and absolutely loved it. So I wish I could say I understand but I can't where Canada is concerned. However, I can very much appreciate what you are saying - I moved to uk when I was 14. That was quite a while ago. What you described about Canada-that's exactly how I feel about uk. I came back from Canada feeling exhilarated, rested, positive and feeling healthy. One week to being back and I hate just about anything here. And funny enough I live in West Yorkshire! 'Friendly people' they pride themselves on being? That's if friendly has a huge chip on its shoulder! They are incapable of being happy for others and absolutely just love it when you fail or are miserable. Having said that, I lived in East Midlands for a while - little place called castle donnington - very different people indeed. I suppose all that north and south divide really is true and northerners are definitely losing this battle! But I'm going off subject here - we are all different and I suppose some find different places suit them better. If you enjoyed West Yorkshire then good for you. I hate it and would gladly swap places with you tomorrow if I could! I wish I could tell you that he displacement feeling will go away as you get older but I can't - maybe it does for others but for me it only gets stronger. Perhaps when you finish college you can join your sister at university for a while and see what you think then. You have your father here so that should make it easier.. Other than that-good luck. Hope you find peace.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lottie95
I hope this is the right section to post this in! I have posted on here before, a couple of years ago, but i'm perhaps more certain in how I feel now, vs. then.

ALSO! This is going to be long, so thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this! I am honestly in such a state!

I'm 20, and moved to Canada between age 9-10. I know, one would think that I've "grown up" here, and should've settled in far easier than say, someone in their twenties or so. It may be of interest to point out that, my mum met a man online whilst going through a rough patch with my dad. Within a year, they were "in love" and my mother was going to move to Canada and bring her two daughters with her (after meeting in person once? twice?!). I don't absolutely resent my mum for this. She claims that she was seeking out a "better life" for my sister and I, as she would have been a single mum working long hours (she was a nurse and had varying shifts). She would've been in her early 50s at this point. I mean, I understand, to an extent, that this man had basically offered to support her and her children. But oh my goodness, it didn't dawn on me until a few years ago what a bloody big decision that is to make! Just dropping your life, friends, family... for a man? Great!

Any way, being so young, I just sort of went a long with it... Seemed like a big exciting holiday, etc. It was summer when we got our first house here, and it felt like being in a tropical country. I made friends, and I would say that the rest of my childhood-early teens was relatively happy. It wasn't until when I was about sixteen, that I started to sort of change. I think we all get to a point when we start to gain a better understanding of ourselves, what we want out of life, etc. I felt so disconnected from my surroundings, my friends. Canadian culture, ways of living, talking, etc. (I never properly developed a Canadian accent! Would sometimes put it on with friends to feel like I "fit in", but no longer). Sometimes I felt bitter, and would make snide comments about Canadians, having a generally annoyed disposition about everything an everyone here. Unnecessary I know! I knew that I missed England. Sat in the car, passing down roads surrounded by cornfields, and a flat landscape made me feel so frustrated, but also in a state of a panic, thinking "How am I here? This isn't home. Did this ever feel like home? I don't even know where I am! It's horrible! I hate it! Get me out of here!". It has only gotten worse, over the years.

My dad still lives in England. I'm from West Yorkshire. I go back to visit nearly every year, with my sister. Up until this year, the longest i'd been back in any single visit was three weeks. I was always really sad to come back here. I still thought, sensibly, that I couldn't make my decision on whether or not I REALLY wanted to move back based on two-week visits. This year, I went back and stayed four months (with my dad and my sister). My sister is in the same boat as me, unhappy in Canada. She's 22, and is doing an "exchange", whereby she's going to uni in England for a year. So she didn't come back with me. I really enjoyed my four months there. I felt alive for the first time in years. I blooming loved it. The emptiness, lack of motivation and despair I had whilst living here disappeared. I suffer with anxiety, which obviously doesn't go away regardless of where I am in the world, actually improved for about two months while I was there. There were still the usual things that triggered it, but there were points where I actually felt "normal", whether or not that's a coincidence I don't know.

I got back to Canada about three and a half weeks ago, and honestly, my mood has just gradually been plummeting since being here. This is made worse by being without my sister, whom I'm very close to. She's been busy, though we've kept in touch as much as we can. I'm back at college now, which I hoped would keep me busy and "distracted". When I come home, it does always hit me how utterly empty and stoic I feel. It is an awful, awful feeling. I don't have the desire to get out of bed in a morning, keeping myself busy and awake during the day is a bloody chore. I'm writing this just to keep myself from crawling back in bed. My mum gets angry at me for this, she thinks i'm lazy, unmotivated, etc. She knows, deep down that me (nor my sister) want to be here, but she doesn't understand. She sees us as ungrateful, or wanting to be back with our "useless" father. She tells us that England has "gone to the dogs" and that Canada is a much better place to live, etc, etc. Whether this is true or not, I can't help the fact that I am not happy living here. In my PERSONAL opinion, I feel the environment here to be very dull, under-stimulating, too spaced out, extreme summers vs. winters. Just an overall lack of interest in it. I can't see a future here. I don't want my children to be Canadian. I don't want me, MYSELF to be Canadian. I know that these are petty-sounding things, but they can mean a lot to someone who feels so empty. I am studying Early Childhood Education, and love children. I'm passionate about having my own, but what sort of mother would I be, living unhappy in my environment? How would I take my kids on trips out when I have no enthusiasm, or even knowledge of places to take them?

I graduate from college next summer (2016). I just really need advice from someone wise, really. When I have such a lack of support and help from any one here, I feel scared of doing what I want to do. I know that my sister is set on moving back, and is gradually moving all her stuff over there! Much to my mother's disapproval. I can't live with my dad for an extended period of time, as he lives in a one bedroom house. I currently have more friends and connections in England than I do here. I have a "boyfriend" there (I put this in quotations because we don't see it as a stable relationship, having only getting to see each other here and there). What steps do you suggest I take from here? Work here until I can afford to rent a place over there? Wait until my sister can afford for us to get a place together over there? Go back and stay with my dad until I can get a place of my own and start working? Look into going to uni there? I just don't know. I'm impatient to get out of here, though.
Sorry you are going through this. We have two sons, the oldest is nearly 9, I hope he never feels the way you do about moving to Canada.
Like others have said, you are young enough to make the move back to the UK, give it your best shot, and if it doesn't work out you can move back, no bridges burned.
I do feel though, reading between the lines, that you should probably try to get some help for your feelings of anxiety. If you can deal with those issues you may well have a brighter outlook about your life as whole.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

lottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
If I was you I would absolutely move to England, at 20 there is plenty of time to move back if you hate it....do you have the support of your Dad??
I do have the support of my dad, yes. I think If I were to ever hate living there, it wouldn't be for years. I feel that being in my twenties and even thirties, England offers me a lot more with regards to my interests, friends, and general lifestyle. Maybe when I'm 50 I'll change my mind! But at the moment, this is what I am set on. My sister has been there 6 months now at Uni and is so much happier and more satisfied, I can tell.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 8:20 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Lottie, my daughter spent 3 weeks in Europe last May, she has realised there is a huge world out there and is now looking at studying in the UK, (which I think will end up being far to expensive for her),on the flip side she made friends with some aussies who have invited her to stay and she wants to spend upto a year in Japan, I am encouraging her whole heartedly to save as much as possible and go travelling and I think she should do it before she gets bogged down with student debt. Only you can decide what happens in your life, your young, you have more than enough time to try something out to see if it's better for you.

We have tried Alberta, 10 years on its apparent that its not where we will stay, where we will go is still in debate. Good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 8:58 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree with Piff Poff on the good to travel sentiment, but since you seem to have your heart fixated on West Yorkshire, I think your best bet would be to plan with your sister about moving there as soon as you finish college, and renting a flat/house together. Put uni on hold and plan to find work of any sort so that you can recommence Yorkshire living. Give it a couple of years and then decide if it's right for you or not.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If I was 20 again, I'd go and try and travel*, why settle on a place before you have actually seen much of this world? Really once out of your 20's, it becomes difficult to do much travel, so take advantage of age, lack of responsibility, debt and see the world.

* I'll admit I did a fair amount of travel in my 20's but nearly all of it in the US since I could fly free within the US. I got a rude awakening at 17 when the parents divorced and I found myself instantly in need of supporting myself when I turned 18 which curtailed most of my plans.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
If I was 20 again, I'd go and try and travel*, why settle on a place before you have actually seen much of this world? Really once out of your 20's, it becomes difficult to do much travel, so take advantage of age, lack of responsibility, debt and see the world.

* I'll admit I did a fair amount of travel in my 20's but nearly all of it in the US since I could fly free within the US. I got a rude awakening at 17 when the parents divorced and I found myself instantly in need of supporting myself when I turned 18 which curtailed most of my plans.
Not always, my whole working life I traveled. First working for HM on her boats, then for a number of air carriers.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Not always, my whole working life I traveled. First working for HM on her boats, then for a number of air carriers.
Yes but your jobs involved travel, I was thinking more along the line of 30+ somethings just chugging along on a modest income with no financial means to travel, as one grows older, life tends to get more expensive.

Now having a job that involved travel, I would not mind. Can't think of any better form of employment....
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Can't think of any better form of employment....
Professional footballer.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Professional footballer.
Maybe..... Too bad I sucked at sports...

I did try for flight attendant a few times, but never got hired. Probably could have gotten hired no issue at the airline I was with, but I couldn't support myself on the 13,000 a year that position paid at that time.....I was making 20k loading planes with OT.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe..... Too bad I sucked at sports...

I did try for flight attendant a few times, but never got hired. Probably could have gotten hired no issue at the airline I was with, but I couldn't support myself on the 13,000 a year that position paid at that time.....I was making 20k loading planes with OT.
Maybe not the best decision considering how much flight attendants earn now?
Old Oct 8th 2015, 12:51 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking more along the line of 30+ somethings just chugging along on a modest income with no financial means to travel, as one grows older, life tends to get more expensive.
Not always. I have a friend who has just turned 33. Him and his brother brought a house two years ago as an investment but as the brother wants to move in with his girlfriend, the house will be sold and profits split...long story short, he cannot decide between buying another house in the UK by himself or going travelling for a bit.

He has worked for the same company for the last 10 years and is bored with it. He seems to be at a crossroads right now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.