Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal - where to live close to downtown?

Montreal - where to live close to downtown?

Old Nov 13th 2011, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

gigi_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Montreal - where to live close to downtown?

Hi there,

I'm moving to Montreal in Jan (April would have been nicer, but as luck will have it I have no choice but to move in the winter). I'll be working at the Royal Victoria Hospital, and I would be looking for a 3 1/2, and my budget is $750-850.

What areas should I be looking at? I don't want a huge commute, but downtown might be out of the question, so which areas should I look at? Close to metro would be ideal I guess. I'm guessing areas I would be looking at would be Saint Henri, Charlesvoix, Verdun but I also hear that rent prices maybe near Snowdon Metro are cheap (and maybe nicer?). I have basic french and will be taking lessons to brush up.

Would be grateful for any advice!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montreal - where to live close to downtown?

There have been many great threads on the subject of where to live in Montreal. try this one http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716352

There is some great advice on it. My advice would be to stay clear of Verdun. It it is cheap, but not too nice.

Near Snowdon / Villa Maria Metro are much nicer.

If you are thinking about the French side. I lived near Pie-IX for a while and liked it (But don't expect anyone to be able to speak English). But on the French side I'd stay clear of Frontenac (reminds me of a French Verdun). The more East you get on the green line the better.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

gigi_ is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, that's really helpful.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

An_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really nice

Hey Gigi,

Regarding that thread, I moved into a 3 1/2 in Downtown for around $1300 a month, I did see some real dives in that time though.

I saw an absolutely beautiful 4 1/2 in Snowdon for $1000 a month, right near the Metro. It was the best I saw in the area and I kept the number so I can look at renting a unit in the future, you are welcome to have the contact number if you are interested (Full disclosure, I have NO connection to the landlord or anyone who has an interest in the property, I just really liked it).

There are apartments on Guy and Crescent for $900, but the units are really run down and they were pretty nasty inside.

It really depends on the standard of living you want, if you don't mind a shabbier building but want to be close, there are places for your budget, but obviously if you live further away your housing will be cheaper.

There is another option, getting the "land" train is actually really cheap compared to the UK and you might be able to find somewhere on the West Island (Brossard, Pointe Claire, etc) which speak a lot of English.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

An_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really nice

Also a lot of Downtown apartments with parking - You can rent the space out for $150-200 a month so factor that into your price.