Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal - Where to live?

Montreal - Where to live?

Old May 10th 2011, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

An_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really nice
Default Montreal - Where to live?

Hi,

Recently moved to Montreal, I'm working in Downtown but I'm looking for somewhere permanent to live.

I've been looking at apartments on De La Montagne / St Jacques but they're about $1700 and I'm not sure whether I should spend that much on housing. (I'm pretty sure I could afford it!

I really want to be close to work/town/social places as I am here on my own at the moment and I fear that if I live far out of Downtown I will feel isolated.

Any ideas/help, or does it make sense to spend the money and live in Downtown for a year or so until I get a better feel of Montreal?

I've heard that anything below 30% of gross take home salary spent on rent should be ok, is this true?

Thanks!
Old May 10th 2011, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

An_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really niceAn_Idiot_Abroad is just really nice
Default Re: Montreal - Where to live?

Originally Posted by Toleero84
Hi,

Recently moved to Montreal, I'm working in Downtown but I'm looking for somewhere permanent to live.

I've been looking at apartments on De La Montagne / St Jacques but they're about $1700 and I'm not sure whether I should spend that much on housing. (I'm pretty sure I could afford it!

I really want to be close to work/town/social places as I am here on my own at the moment and I fear that if I live far out of Downtown I will feel isolated.

Any ideas/help, or does it make sense to spend the money and live in Downtown for a year or so until I get a better feel of Montreal?

I've heard that anything below 30% of gross take home salary spent on rent should be ok, is this true?

Thanks!
Oh bloody hell, I've posted this thread before, sorry, I would be interested in any new answers that people might have though?
Old May 14th 2011, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Toleero84
Oh bloody hell, I've posted this thread before, sorry, I would be interested in any new answers that people might have though?
Anyone have opinions on Little Italy? I love the market there but I'm not sure what it's like there to live? Is Downtown access easy?

It's near Beaubien Metro.
Old May 14th 2011, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Nelju is an unknown quantity at this point

West side of Montreal is the english side of the city. I used to live near Lachine and I liked there. $1 700 I think it is a lot expensive for a city like Montreal where you can find reasonable housing for $700-1000 a month.

If you speak french these links are a good reference to find information about Montreal.

http://www.immigrer.com/
http://www.immigrer.com/foireauxquestions/
http://www.immigrer.com/faq/rubrique...banlieues.html
Old May 16th 2011, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

I don't speak much French, I'm afraid

I work in downtown as well, so it needs to have good links to town :|
Old May 16th 2011, 3:03 am
Just Joined

alterego61 is an unknown quantity at this point

NDG is an area relatively close to downtown that is reasonably priced and with a mix of English and French speakers.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

Heard of NDG, is Monkland nice? Near Villa Maria Metro...
Old May 16th 2011, 6:42 am
Just Joined

MRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really nice

Would I be able to find something nice for around $500? I'll be living on my own, so even a studio would be enough... Which recommended areas should I look into for such a price?
Old May 16th 2011, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

You can find something for around $550 but generally this will not be in the nicest areas.

I know a number of people who live in areas like laSalle or areas like Monk or Verdun. When you go to the east side of town, you will find similar areas with similar prices. Pesonally I am not keen on these areas, but I know many people who live hapily there, but they are not my idea of nice.
Old May 16th 2011, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Canuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond reputeCanuck74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
You can find something for around $550 but generally this will not be in the nicest areas.

I know a number of people who live in areas like laSalle or areas like Monk or Verdun. When you go to the east side of town, you will find similar areas with similar prices. Pesonally I am not keen on these areas, but I know many people who live hapily there, but they are not my idea of nice.
Verdun aka Verdump is a run down area. The other areas mentioned are not places I would want to live in.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I like NDG and Monkland.

It is well located for transport, shopping and eating out.

If you get a Car, it also has good links to the main routes out of Montreal.

I have a number of friends who live in this area I think you'll probably like it.
Old May 16th 2011, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

I cannot disagree with Canuck74 about the areas mentioned.

If you look at a price point between 600 - 700 per month you can probably find something that I would call nice.
Old May 16th 2011, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I'll check out NDG and Monkland then.

I've been to LaSalle, Verdun and De L'Eglise and they all seemed REALLY run down to me, not somewhere I'd really want to live!

I was looking at De La Montagne/Rue St Jacques but the prices there are crazy, $1700 odd. I wasn't looking to spend that much.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Looked at NDG/Monkland today, the side roads look really nice and the places look really good!

The main strip looks a bit run down though, and I still can't get over the 'Tower Block' prejudice from their reputation in the UK, is this normal for brits coming over?
Old May 27th 2011, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Bump, if anyone can suggest nice areas other than Monkland where I can get a good modern apartment right near a metro for under $1000 I would be grateful

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.