Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal Vs Vancouver

Montreal Vs Vancouver

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montreal Vs Vancouver

Originally Posted by Oink
Well at least it's 7c but it feels like its 7c.
Not sure that means...? Like, no wind chill?

The Montreal photo is from Reddit, and the Redditor said it was -36! Toasty!!
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Montreal is THE artist's town in Canada. (So is Toronto).
You can't have two THE's...THE means one.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

sophieb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lychee
Montreal is fashion-forward.

What???? Not any of the people we see.....

Personally, I'd choose Vancouver any day of the week. We're about to leave Montreal after 10 months here. Really, really don't like it and the -30 degree temperatures all this week certainly haven't helped. Yes, the infrastructure copes but it's still waaaaaaaay too cold when you go outside and if it carries on much longer, I'm sure polar bears and walruses will take up residence in the local park

I would NEVER get used to these temperatures and I really don't like the way it makes Montrealers shut themselves away and not go out in winter. We went for dinner downtown last Saturday in a restaurant that we've been to in the summer and it was busy then, yet last weekend we were the ONLY people in the restaurant at 8pm on Saturday night. The waitress said it's absolutely normal for January when "no one goes out"
Old Jan 25th 2013, 1:40 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophieb
What???? Not any of the people we see.....

Personally, I'd choose Vancouver any day of the week. We're about to leave Montreal after 10 months here. Really, really don't like it and the -30 degree temperatures all this week certainly haven't helped. Yes, the infrastructure copes but it's still waaaaaaaay too cold when you go outside and if it carries on much longer, I'm sure polar bears and walruses will take up residence in the local park

I would NEVER get used to these temperatures and I really don't like the way it makes Montrealers shut themselves away and not go out in winter. We went for dinner downtown last Saturday in a restaurant that we've been to in the summer and it was busy then, yet last weekend we were the ONLY people in the restaurant at 8pm on Saturday night. The waitress said it's absolutely normal for January when "no one goes out"
Where are you going?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:36 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where are you going?
Is she not going to buzzy party-till-dawn haute-couture Vancouver?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is she not going to buzzy party-till-dawn haute-couture Vancouver?
Maybe, but it's not obvious from the one post:

"Personally, I'd choose Vancouver any day of the week. We're about to leave Montreal after 10 months here."

suggests only that she didn't like Montreal. She may be moving on to Trois-Rivières or, indeed, Bamako.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:21 pm
Yo

Ah Trois-Rivières...it sounds such a bucolic place...but it's not quite the Cotswolds... Dommage.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

j-dizzle is an unknown quantity at this point

How about some more photos ?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:51 pm
Hellooo...anyone there?

Buttons-Galore is an unknown quantity at this point

I have never been to Vancouver, although I have only heard good things about it. However, I can speak firsthand about Montreal. I arrived just over two months ago and of course had been well warned about weather, so when I'm kitted out I don't even feel the -25c temps of this week that much... My OH had lived in Montreal before, so I was lucky in that he already knew some people here. Before we moved here from London I was actually very sceptical about the city - the more OH raved about Montreal the more I wanted to dislike it as it felt disloyal to London hehe... but having spent the last few months here I can honestly say I love it... So far

We are both very sociable, love music, good food and wine, and going out. So for us Montreal is great. It is incredibly diverse with fantastic restaurants on every street corner. Importantly, I had been told that if I am going to not just survive but enjoy the winter then I have to get out and about and take part in activities. So! We have been taking advantage of the winter by skiing, ice skating, racket or snow shoe walking, amazing scandi spas, raclette in Tremblent etc. I also joined a hot yoga club, which is amazing. What I'm trying to say is that if you are someone who takes advantage of the opportunities available to you, you will love it.

Personally I can't wait for the summertime music festivals, jazz events etc. Apparently, that's when the city really comes alive.

Good luck deciding!