Reload this Page >

Montreal Vs Vancouver

Montreal Vs Vancouver

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

j-dizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Montreal Vs Vancouver

Hello.

I am interested in hearing what you guys have to say about Vancouver and Montreal, as a place to live.

So far, I have read that:

Montreal - Majority is french speaking, Cold winters, warm Summers, Really beautiful city, excellent nightlife, lots of art museums, big music scene.

Vancouver - Again a really beautiful city, quite expensive cost of living.

Just wondering if there are people on here that live in either place can give me the low down on both ?

FYI, I am 20 years old, very outgoing so would be interested to hear more about the nightlife and what activities are available.

Also, If I learned French (very well) would I still be 'second choice' to secure a job than somebody who is 'Montreal French'?
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 5:46 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montreal Vs Vancouver

Originally Posted by j-dizzle
Hello.

I am interested in hearing what you guys have to say about Vancouver and Montreal, as a place to live.

So far, I have read that:

Montreal - Majority is french speaking, Cold winters, warm Summers, Really beautiful city, excellent nightlife, lots of art museums, big music scene.

Just wondering if there are people on here that live in either place can give me the low down on both ?

FYI, I am 20 years old, very outgoing so would be interested to hear more about the nightlife and what activities are available.

Also, If I learned French (very well) would I still be 'second choice' to secure a job than somebody who is 'Montreal French'?
as a youngster, i'd expect montreal would be more exciting while vancouver is well, nice, but not overly exciting. Vancouver suits those of who cant handle the winters and are a bit past it when it comes to night life.

From what i know, french, while certainly of a benefit, is not absolutely needed.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boy d
as a youngster, i'd expect montreal would be more exciting while vancouver is well, nice, but not overly exciting. Vancouver suits those of who cant handle the winters and are a bit past it when it comes to night life.

From what i know, french, while certainly of a benefit, is not absolutely needed.
Going by this post, then Montreal sounds like what I am after! The only slight issue I would have would be the French language. It would be good to hear from an English speaking person who is living or has lived in Montreal, just to see if they had any problems with the language.

Nightlife is a must for me, as well as outdoor activities!

Can anybody tell me what the cost of living is like by Canadian standards?
Also, I have read that Vancouver gets a lot of rain, would you say Montreal has more sunny days than Vancouver ? And is there a lot of snowfall every year ?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

cinelight is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking French and Quebec French isn't the same, they'll let you know very quickly
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cinelight
Speaking French and Quebec French isn't the same, they'll let you know very quickly
What is the difference between the two ?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:39 pm
Account Closed

Suggest you spend some time there, just on short term rental you'll understand.

Also remember, remember the 4th of September, ie tomorrow when you might really not want to be 'Anglo' in Quebec, where you are not allowed to have your children raised in English.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Suggest you spend some time there, just on short term rental you'll understand.

Also remember, remember the 4th of September, ie tomorrow when you might really not want to be 'Anglo' in Quebec, where you are not allowed to have your children raised in English.
Is there really a serious divide between the French and English speaking people in Montreal ? Would I be treated as a second class citizen ?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

Do some research, and don't trust just my word. Go there and see for yourself.

Personally I stayed just one week after having witnessed and heard so much racism (against arabs, jews, French from France, anglos etc etc)

Having said that it's a great place to see for a few days, on holidays, although I prefer Quebec city myself
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Personally I stayed just one week after having witnessed and heard so much racism (against arabs, jews, French from France, anglos etc etc)

Having said that it's a great place to see for a few days, on holidays, although I prefer Quebec city myself
I have searched the internet and looked through various threads about living in Montreal, but I have not heard people say that it is as bad as you are saying.

Would be a real shame if that is the case though. Seems like a real great city.

I would definatly visit before a final decision was made of course. Just trying to get peoples opinion on the city.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 8:28 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Going by this post, then Montreal sounds like what I am after! The only slight issue I would have would be the French language. It would be good to hear from an English speaking person who is living or has lived in Montreal, just to see if they had any problems with the language.

Nightlife is a must for me, as well as outdoor activities!

Can anybody tell me what the cost of living is like by Canadian standards?
Also, I have read that Vancouver gets a lot of rain, would you say Montreal has more sunny days than Vancouver ? And is there a lot of snowfall every year ?
Montreal will likely have more sunny days in winter than Vancouver, lots more snow and colder too. Summer is similar although Montreal will be hotter with more humidity.

Yes it rains a fair bit here, but not much at all in late spring and summer. Think of the years in the UK when they get a reall nice summer. That's vancouver most years. those who cant stand the rain should probably give it a miss. Comes down to snow and very bitter cold or very wet and mild during the winter in Vancouver (there is snows on the mountains though within 20 mins of downtown). Summers in Vancouver are great though and are hard to beat.

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc....h1=0&month2=12

Last edited by Boy d; Sep 3rd 2012 at 8:31 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 8:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

This is a bit of an odd post in that Montreal is generally considered to be a diverse city with a wide range of industries in which a minority of francophone people do not speak English and where a minority of people are prejudiced against Canadian anglophones, whereas in Quebec City it's usual for people to speak only French, it's almost a one industry town (though I visit there to work at the office of a company in a different industry) and people are biased against anyone not from Quebec City itself. It's no good peddling yourself as pur laine in Quebec City if you're obviously from Montreal.

Montreal seems to me to be cosmopolitan, fun and relatively cheap compared to the rest of Canada. Winter there is brutal though.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boy d
Montreal will likely have more sunny days in winter than Vancouver, lots more snow and colder too. Summer is similar although Montreal will be hotter with more humidity.

Yes it rains a fair bit here, but not much at all in late spring and summer. Think of the years in the UK when they get a reall nice summer. That's vancouver most years. those who cant stand the rain should probably give it a miss. Comes down to snow and very bitter cold or very wet and mild during the winter in Vancouver (there is snows on the mountains though within 20 mins of downtown). Summers in Vancouver are great though and are hard to beat.

The winters don't bother me too much, if it is sunny then it is not so bad.
I heard that Montreal are very prepared for lots of snowfall, so I am guessing it isn't like here in the UK when we get a tiny bit of snow the whole country goes on standby? Transport still ok in winter ?

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is a bit of an odd post in that Montreal is generally considered to be a diverse city with a wide range of industries in which a minority of francophone people do not speak English and where a minority of people are prejudiced against Canadian anglophones, whereas in Quebec City it's usual for people to speak only French, it's almost a one industry town (though I visit there to work at the office of a company in a different industry) and people are biased against anyone not from Quebec City itself. It's no good peddling yourself as pur laine in Quebec City if you're obviously from Montreal.

Montreal seems to me to be cosmopolitan, fun and relatively cheap compared to the rest of Canada. Winter there is brutal though.
I definatly have to go and visit and see for myself what it is like regarding the language. So far though, it all sounds good.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Montreal and have been here for nearly 5 years.

There is a large English speaking community and most people are bilingual.

There is always a lot to do here and there is a great nightlife.

Montreal has people from all over the world and it is a great and affordable city to live in.

There are certain jobs which you will need french for, but there are still many jobs for english speakers.

There are a few people who think that they are second choice for jobs, but I think their problems are more related to their attitude than any prejudice from employers.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

The winter is brutal, but everything still runs, even if a bit more slowly.

Driving on ice the first time was a bit scary, especially as most people drive the same way they do in the summer.

As long as you dress properly you don't even feel the cold.

Many young people go out in their summer / fall clothes in the middle of winter without freezing to death, but I guess they are used to it.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:45 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Buying real-estate here is expensive. I don't think other costs of living are especially higher than elsewhere.

I agree with boy d that nightlife (such as it is) in Vancouver is more suited to the 30+ crowd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.