Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal College of IT

Montreal College of IT

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

SarahMar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Montreal College of IT

I have come to realise that I am too trusting so wondered if anyone knows if this College is legit and whether you can actually get a PGWP from this course?
https://www.montrealcollege.ca/diplo...b-development/
I have checked the canada.ca website and the college is listed as granting PGWP as long as the course meets the criteria, which this seems to being AEC and 900 hours.
Would welcome anyone's feedback or suggestions if you know of a better course.
Many thanks.
Sarah
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:08 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montreal College of IT

You mentioned in another post/thread that you have already been a web designer and that you hold a Masters. The course you link to (above) appears to be an entry level 'vocational' course. My concern would be if RCIC determined that this wasn't an advancement on qualifications you already hold - perhaps asking why you would want to go to a private college to study on an entry level course on a subject you have already worked in - which will be evident from the application you need to fill out.. ( for the guide (paper based) : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...de-canada.html )

Something to consider when choosing a course you want to do.

Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahMar
I have come to realise that I am too trusting so wondered if anyone knows if this College is legit and whether you can actually get a PGWP from this course?
https://www.montrealcollege.ca/diplo...b-development/
I have checked the canada.ca website and the college is listed as granting PGWP as long as the course meets the criteria, which this seems to being AEC and 900 hours.
Would welcome anyone's feedback or suggestions if you know of a better course.
Many thanks.
Sarah
It's not legit in the sense of offering an education; it's selling diplomas as an immigration tool. Whether or not that diploma will be accepted for the purpose of a work permit is a bit iffy but I expect they have connections with well connected lawyers who can probably sort it out. Looks like an expensive and uncertain route to Canada. If you're a web designer why not just get a job in Canada; employers may be fickle and exploitive of immigrants but probably less bad than a diploma mill.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

SarahMar is an unknown quantity at this point

My Masters is in Creative Writing and whilst I was a web designer 20+ years ago, my skills are very out of date and I have no qualifications in this field, which is why I was considering this course. Two birds, one stone. Refresh my web design skills, get a PGWP and a current qualification.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 4:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My Masters is in Creative Writing and whilst I was a web designer 20+ years ago, my skills are very out of date and I have no qualifications in this field, which is why I was considering this course. Two birds, one stone. Refresh my web design skills, get a PGWP and a current qualification.
I see the logic and, if you're francophone, I see the appeal of Montreal but, as a route to Canada, a marriage of convenience might be cheaper and safer.
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

How good is your French?
Old Feb 23rd 2021, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'd get a study permit as long as you can show that i.e. that you want to update previously held skills and continue with a previous career. As mentioned on your other thread, it would also mean your partner could then sponsor you for PR after the year is up, and whilst you work on your PGWP that can be going through.

As long as it's a DLI, which you say you've checked, then it will get you the study permit.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 23rd 2021 at 8:55 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 1:07 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

There are private colleges in the UK now that offer short or long courses in web development training. That's because it's a high demand profession and pays a decent salary and therefore anyone capable of doing it will usually find work pretty easily. Similarly to this, those colleges usually offer a vocational qualification at the end of their courses (it's a C&G as I recall).

This looks to be doing a similar thing and I agree, whilst it might not be the best qualification in the world, tech career wise, it will probably serve for the purposes you're looking for.
Old Mar 2nd 2021, 2:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
There are private colleges in the UK now that offer short or long courses in web development training. That's because it's a high demand profession and pays a decent salary and therefore anyone capable of doing it will usually find work pretty easily. Similarly to this, those colleges usually offer a vocational qualification at the end of their courses (it's a C&G as I recall).

This looks to be doing a similar thing and I agree, whilst it might not be the best qualification in the world, tech career wise, it will probably serve for the purposes you're looking for.
If similar courses are available in the UK, the question may be raised as to why the OP wants to come to Canada (with all the expenses involved) when she could just as easily take them in the UK.
Vocational qualifications don't normally count for ECA / points for EE, but the OP won't need them with a Masters...

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 2nd 2021 at 2:59 pm.