Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Monthly costs Fredericton

Monthly costs Fredericton

Old Jul 5th 2016, 8:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Monthly costs Fredericton

Originally Posted by Alex2201
Have sent you PM...
Only on Thursdays and only with a dish of custard.
Old Jul 6th 2016, 1:23 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Too much, for too little.
+1
Couldn't agree more...but, once here, you can't just throw the towel in and move....however, if it had to be NB...I'd have gone to Moncton...
Old Jul 6th 2016, 12:21 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Been there done that, no thanks.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

helcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond reputehelcol has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

For me, 900 sqft two bedroom detached house in the city, with kids part time:

Mortgage: $450
Property Tax: $1350 per year (goes up loads for big houses in the city. I know people who pay $5000!)
Power, including heat: $60-$80 in the summer (no AC) and $150-$280 in the winter.
Internet $80 (that's 200 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up with no caps)
Don't have cable or home phone.
Cell Phone: $40
Car Insurance: $860 per year
Gas: Between $70 and $130 a month. I can walk and bike to work though.
Home Insurance: $500 per year
Water and Sewage: Around $125 per quarter
Groceries: Anywhere between $200 - $350 a month

Bear in mind that I've managed to live quite frugally and cook in bulk and freeze and defrost as required. I'm sure most people spend more on food than I do. I also keep my house at around 19/20c in the winter, unlike a lot of people I know who keep theirs at 23/24c and then complain about $600 power bills in the winter! (much bigger houses though).

Beer is quite expensive, but there's quite a good selection in the stores these days. I got back from Niagara Falls and Toronto last weekend as was shocked to see the pathetic choice of beer available! We're having a bit of a boom with micro breweries at the moment and the liquor stores are finally realizing the demand and stocking it. Mind you, if you can brew then there is a great brewing club in town. See the NB l liquor web site for prices.

I hear a lot of negativity about Fredericton, but I love it here and there are lots of positives. Although I do believe what others have mentioned in that it really depends on your line of work. If you have any IT experience such as development, quality assurance, business analysis and management etc then the companies in town cannot find enough people and are competing aggressively to recruit and retain staff by offering good salaries and lots of vacation. On the other hand, low-skilled jobs offer minimum wage, 10 days vacation and poor (if any) benefits. I don't think you need huge salaries to be comfortable here, but I wouldn't want to live on minimum wage for sure. To back up what Canazon said, plan carefully and make finding a good job a priority. There are plenty of well paid jobs with good benefits here, if you have the right skills.

What the others have said too.

HTH.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by MillieF
+1
Couldn't agree more...but, once here, you can't just throw the towel in and move....however, if it had to be NB...I'd have gone to Moncton...
You would have been bored here too
Old Jul 9th 2016, 2:39 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
You would have been bored here too
Quite probably...I think I have a low boredom threshold It's the sense of humour and price of cheese that does it!

I have a small house, admittedly in the "City" and backing onto the trails, but my property tax is $3,000 (ouch)....
Old Jul 9th 2016, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We also have a small house on a small city lot, and half our property tax in July was $3,300 +.

We paid an "estimated" half of $2,300+ last February, then adjustments, city tax increases etc raised the July payment to the $3,300+

So our total annual city tax this year was over $5,600

Plus ........... the Seniors Deduction that we used to get as owners was taken away by Christy because our house was valued at more than $1.1 million. Anyone under the age of 65 would have lost the Homeowners Grant for the same reason.

I know, I know ........... that's what we get for living in Vancouver!. But we have owned our house since 1972.

Over 40 years ago, we set up a "savings account" (it then paid interest!) to which we had an automatic deduction every month from the operating account ........... on the principal that if we didn't see it, we wouldn't spend it. The money that accrued in that account was used to pay the city taxes, and house and car insurance. It made life so much easier and less traumatic when insurance and tax time came around!

We still operate that account .................. though I'm going to have to increase the transfer amount from its current $600 a month, unless house values crash
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have a small house, admittedly in the "City" and backing onto the trails, but my property tax is $3,000 (ouch)....
Are you sure you're not paying the rate charged where you're not living in it - like the double tax I pay on my rental?

Or is your definition of a small house different to mine?
Old Jul 9th 2016, 2:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Quite probably...I think I have a low boredom threshold It's the sense of humour and price of cheese that does it!

I have sense of humour failure at the price of cheese and booze

$3000 seems high for a "small" house. Have you tried calculating it yourself? If it is over you can appeal for a re assessment.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 2:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

does this mean your property has an assessed value in the $300k - $400k range?

Using the assessment tax base of 1.44 in the link below, then you have a good deal - just think how much you'll get when you sell it

https://ignitefredericton.com/en/com...e/property-tax
Old Jul 10th 2016, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Canazon is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are looking for assessment values in NB, here's a link to Service New Brunswick's official page. Just type in the city/village name and the street name.

https://www.pxw1.snb.ca/PAOL/1030.aspx
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

AfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I am a financial analyst and my is a business analyst. We have recently applied for NB PNP however judging from the views above it seems NB general is a no go area. Please correct me if am wrong
Old Jul 14th 2016, 1:57 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by AfroGlasgow
I am a financial analyst and my is a business analyst. We have recently applied for NB PNP however judging from the views above it seems NB general is a no go area. Please correct me if am wrong
I see from other posts your target is Manitoba anyway?
Old Jul 14th 2016, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

AfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond reputeAfroGlasgow has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we looked into Manitoba but we didnt meet the criteria. We have been invited to apply by NB PNP.
Old Jul 14th 2016, 6:55 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by AfroGlasgow
Yeah we looked into Manitoba but we didnt meet the criteria. We have been invited to apply by NB PNP.
I believe you can move on once you're "in" if you want.

A quick search for business analyst Moncton came up with these, although they don't all seem to be business/finance related.

These too

Just to give an idea what's around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.