Montessori Teaching

Wikiposts

Montessori Teaching

Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Montessori Teaching

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you have experience of Montessori education; particularly if any teachers or headteachers have found this is a way into finding employment in the Canadian education system?

Any information would be welcomed.

Thankyou,
Katie
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:31 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montessori Teaching

There certainly seems to be a lot of Montessori places around - I'd never even heard of it till I came here and there's two places within 5 mins drive each way of my house. So there must be a demand for it...
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:50 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

it depends on the province.

There are lots of Montessori preschools here, not so many elementary schools. I don't know how it works with teaching at the pre school level, but it's not regarded the same as elementary school teaching, the pay seems low, and I think you need to be ECCE qualified. By low pay I mean $10 per hour and up.

In elementary teaching you'd need to be licensed in the province and all that jazz. Getting into public school teachign is a whole kettle of fish unto itself, you might have luck with the private schools? I have no idea. You need to do some research.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 7:56 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

And another thing. Pretty much anybody can set themselves up as a "Montessori" school or preschool here. What this means is that true Montessori method schools are thin on the ground. There's some association of Montessori schools - actually, I think there are 2 in North America - that seem to keep an eye on standards and stuff like that, but they don't have copyright over the name. Just something else to bear in mind as you do your research.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

chriskatie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I'm looking at Ontario, mainly, but any info is appreciated.

I am enrolling with the North American Montessori Centre so would have an NAMC Diploma to add to my teaching degree and headteacher qualifications (and 15 years experience).

I am aware how difficult/impossible it is to get into the traditional teaching route so this is looking like a possible alternative.

Please keep your info coming. Thanks.