Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

money moving advice????

money moving advice????

Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

glenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the rough
Default money moving advice????

Can anyone give me some sound advice to do with moving my money to Canada? Recommend companies etc.... Thanks.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: money moving advice????

Hi, we used HIFX. Very good service and happy to recommend.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:14 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glenn wilson
Can anyone give me some sound advice to do with moving my money to Canada? Recommend companies etc.... Thanks.
Hi we have just transferred a lot of money through Moneycorp - Stuart Rodgers was the guy very helpful , quick professional service.

Highly reccommend them
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:44 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alvic
Hi we have just transferred a lot of money through Moneycorp - Stuart Rodgers was the guy very helpful , quick professional service.

Highly reccommend them
I agree transfered money to them by chaps and the money was in my canada account by the next day

steve
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

poll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of lightpoll72000 is a glorious beacon of light

Caxton FX are good too. We have used them a few times with no problems.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Can recommend HIFX, have used them a load of times and they're extremely helpful.

Whomever you use, be sure to remember that their first rate offer is not necessarily their best rate offer, so try and haggle a bit!

Cheers, Iain
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

eve normand will become famous soon enougheve normand will become famous soon enough

Ok guys showing my ignorance here. I'm about a year away from my visa.Once my house is sold,I have the money in my bank,I transfer to my bank account in Canada? (I opened an account in NS this August/ I live in France) So what do I need to know?
Thanks Eve
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

glenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the roughglenn wilson is a jewel in the rough

how much do these companies charge roughly for the service.does it depend on the amount or is it a fixed cost.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:27 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

For our FX needs we use Custom House They are a Canadian company with offices in the UK as well. We give our broker a target rate and they buy/sell on that or we can just phone and book a rate. The money is then sent to our account in the right currency. When you book a rate though it is a contract to buy.

If you want to get an approximation of the bank rate you can get this from the Royal Bank of Canada This is for the cheque rate and is an indication of what you might get. From Custom House we can usually get a bit better than the banks.

To exchange through custom house we can give them authority to draw from our bank or we can do an online payment into their account though Internet banking.

We pay no fees for this service.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Glenn, there are no 'fees' as such for most brokers.

If I understand correctly they make their money by taking a whole load of client's cash-to-be-transferred and pooling it into large amounts before transferring it at interbank rates (for millions of pounds).

As an individual, you can't get anywhere close to rates as good as those, but they pass on some of the saving to you compared to what you'd get through your high street bank. What's left, the rate differential, is their profit.

For instance, say the interbank rate is 2.05. You might get 2.01 in the highstreet and 2.04 through a broker. They trouser the 0.01.

And yes, you get offered a better rate the more money you are moving.

Cheers, Iain
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

thanx great info guys...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 11:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glenn wilson
Can anyone give me some sound advice to do with moving my money to Canada? Recommend companies etc....
Your bank?