British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   moi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/moi-434646/)

towser Mar 14th 2007 5:48 pm

moi

Hi I've just registered - i am currently in the process of moving to Canada have been for the past 28mth trouble is dooms day is neigh and i'm scared - giving up my career, family, support network and my friends to go live somewhere that's plagued with snow & wind chill 6mths of the yr no longer has the appeal it once had - i've heard all the negatives now give me some +ve please convince me otherwise - i'm only doing it for my other half :( I need some support so come on guys n gals :o) d Day is July and my family don't know yet - please just tell me how it is and what i can expect - i've been told that i procrastinate i think that's how u speel it :o) but my other half is the driven force and all seems sooooooooo risky please is it worth it?:) :)

MCrocker Mar 14th 2007 5:52 pm

Re: moi

Can't help you as we all want different things. Fact is we gave it all up and moved and it's the best thing we ever did. However we made the decision as a family and were all committed.

good luck with whatever you decide

Mountain Girl Mar 14th 2007 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by towser (Post 4518428)
Hi I've just registered - i am currently in the process of moving to Canada have been for the past 28mth trouble is dooms day is neigh and i'm scared - giving up my career, family, support network and my friends to go live somewhere that's plagued with snow & wind chill 6mths of the yr no longer has the appeal it once had - i've heard all the negatives now give me some +ve please convince me otherwise - i'm only doing it for my other half :( I need some support so come on guys n gals :o) d Day is July and my family don't know yet - please just tell me how it is and what i can expect - i've been told that i procrastinate i think that's how u speel it :o) but my other half is the driven force and all seems sooooooooo risky please is it worth it?:) :)

Hi Towser, Welcome .

Having nerves about the move is normal.

What part of Canada are you heading to?

You should be telling your folks sometime soon, (sorry dont mean to lecture) especially if you are close with them.

Mountain Girl Mar 14th 2007 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by towser (Post 4518428)

About the weather. The snow isnt so bad, it is better than constant rain. :)

Souvenir Mar 14th 2007 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by smelly (Post 4518445)
About the weather. The snow isnt so bad, it is better than constant rain. :)

It rained here today It hasn't done that for ages. I heard a strange noise coming from outside and had to look out the window to see what was going on. It's plus seven at the moment. I can't remember last time it was that hot. If it makes it to the forecast 13 this afternoon, I will be in shorts.

towser Mar 14th 2007 6:16 pm

Aww thanks you guys :o) It's calgary - i really do love it!!!!!!!! I guess it is natural to be scared at this stage u wait and wait and wait!!!!!! then all of a sudden things are moving at an alarming pace - u kinda put your life on hold thinking it may take 6mths but when it gets to double figures... u do tend to dispare... my patner is the best and i guess aslong as he's there we'll be fine thanks for all your thoughts on this one - i guess i gotta finally grow up and decide what i want from life... SCARY!!! :O) I am being proactivethough - missing my family scares me but i guess that's natural - the sooner i have one of my own the better ;o) take care guys one thing i love about the canadians is their way of life and my job fortunately exposes me to all walks of life within the UK and u know what this place ain't getting any better it's got a long way to go before it get's to Canada's standards! Be happy

hugs x:thumbup:

Mountain Girl Mar 14th 2007 6:23 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by towser (Post 4518487)
Aww thanks you guys :o) It's calgary - i really do love it!!!!!!!! I guess it is natural to be scared at this stage u wait and wait and wait!!!!!! then all of a sudden things are moving at an alarming pace - u kinda put your life on hold thinking it may take 6mths but when it gets to double figures... u do tend to dispare... my patner is the best and i guess aslong as he's there we'll be fine thanks for all your thoughts on this one - i guess i gotta finally grow up and decide what i want from life... SCARY!!! :O) I am being proactivethough - missing my family scares me but i guess that's natural - the sooner i have one of my own the better ;o) take care guys one thing i love about the canadians is their way of life and my job fortunately exposes me to all walks of life within the UK and u know what this place ain't getting any better it's got a long way to go before it get's to Canada's standards! Be happy

hugs x:thumbup:

Well when you get here towser we will have a meet up. :thumbup: :)

It is really frustrating with the waiting process involved. I used to moan and crumble a lot about putting my life on hold till we knew . I was fortunate in the fact it only took two years though.

If you are in Calgary you will be so close to this scenery.

towser Mar 14th 2007 6:36 pm

Ouch! :o) I know that's why i am going the rockies definately do it for me i rem flying over and thinking wow look at those mountains and then we landed in Calgary and i was like wow and had a permanent Grin on my face for the mth that we stayed - we took a tour up to Jasper and saw live Grizzly and cub walking across the road and nearly got road off by an elk in our oldsmobile but it really was something - u really do feel so much in touch with nature! :o) trouble is come from a pretty little island and can get to the mountains within minutes la emerald isle ;o) still we all got our crosses to bear :o) this place aint getting any better - despite what the media says so i guess canada here we come :o) now i know why people expand their minds with travel and the world has become a smaller place i'm fortunate i've family in Tronoto so i guess if i miss them that much i could alway go there and visit - one thing i will miss about this place though is the smell :o) Ripe old manure ;o) if i could parcel that up with the smell of turf i'd make a small fortune :o) thanks for all your support! Does calgary have any thing similar to Christmas Markets? or is that definately a european thing?

Mountain Girl Mar 14th 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by towser (Post 4518555)
Ouch! :o) - one thing i will miss about this place though is the smell :o) Ripe old manure ;o) if i could parcel that up with the smell ?

I am sure we could find you some nice old manure when you get here. :D :rofl: ;)

Originally Posted by towser (Post 4518555)
Does calgary have any thing similar to Christmas Markets? or is that definately a european thing?

They do have a few christmas markets and a farmers market. :thumbup:

willmore Mar 14th 2007 6:48 pm

time it was that hot. If it makes it to the forecast 13 this afternoon, I will be in shorts.[/QUOTE]

I would pay big bucks to see a pic of you in shorts!;)

towser Mar 14th 2007 6:53 pm

Willomore behave!! :o) well one thing is for sure ain't no shorts for a while this side of the pond ain't had nothing but rain rain and more rain!!!
Getting sooooooooooo excite now :o) about my move i mean :o) :o) :thumbup: This site is fantastic i was really negative before i came on but havig read a few of the other threads i'm really positive thanks you guys :o) buy yas a honey brown when i get to 17th ;o)

Butch Cassidy Mar 14th 2007 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by towser (Post 4518593)
Willomore behave!! :o) well one thing is for sure ain't no shorts for a while this side of the pond ain't had nothing but rain rain and more rain!!!
Getting sooooooooooo excite now :o) about my move i mean :o) :o) :thumbup: This site is fantastic i was really negative before i came on but havig read a few of the other threads i'm really positive thanks you guys :o) buy yas a honey brown when i get to 17th ;o)

Calgary ROCKS.
Best thing we ever did moving here.

Steve_P Mar 14th 2007 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4518661)
Calgary ROCKS.
Best thing we ever did moving here.

Calgary not ROCKS, those big piles of stuff on the western horizon thems ROCKS. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Butch Cassidy Mar 14th 2007 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 4519283)
Calgary not ROCKS, those big piles of stuff on the western horizon thems ROCKS. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh yeah thats it
(Steve silly question I know but have you EVER seen that hard candy stuff that Brits call Rock here in Canada?)

Steve_P Mar 14th 2007 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy (Post 4519317)
Oh yeah thats it
(Steve silly question I know but have you EVER seen that hard candy stuff that Brits call Rock here in Canada?)

Pink on the outside white on the inside and the word Blackpool in red running through it??
I think I might have seen at one of the "British" stores here.:unsure: