Reload this Page >

Mobile phones in Canada

Wikiposts

Mobile phones in Canada

Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

ClareEdm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile phones in Canada

I bought my Motorola phone here last time and it was awful it had to be plugged in constantly but would never reach a full charge

im looking for a phone here and some kindof deal im thinking of virgin too but im not sure
i still cant get my head around the fact that here your charged for incoming calls too
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We just ended up buying a virgin pay as you go $69 from Zellars, this includes $10 card.

Everyone wanted $200 (per phone) bonds if we wanted a contract.

Linda P
Old Jul 14th 2006, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

ClareEdm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda P
We just ended up buying a virgin pay as you go $69 from Zellars, this includes $10 card.

Everyone wanted $200 (per phone) bonds if we wanted a contract.

Linda P
That sounds like an ok deal i never had a contract in the UK either so i was looking for a pay as u go
do you get free evening and w'end calls?

Clare
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareEdm
That sounds like an ok deal i never had a contract in the UK either so i was looking for a pay as u go
do you get free evening and w'end calls?

Clare

Not that I know of...... terrible isn't it, I really don't know, I only have it for emergencies in case the school needs to contact me.

Linda P
Old Jul 14th 2006, 5:59 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Thanks for the warning. I think I know what you mean, though - when I did my landing trip I was sat in TD Canada Trust almost in tears at the banking products on offer. I think I need to be prepared to pay at least $50 a month for a phone - I currently pay next to nothing as I have PAYG and top it up maybe twice a year. Not grumbling though - I chose to emigrate and at least I have some idea of the costs involved :scared:

Suze[/QUOTE]

The Virgin that iaink mentions is about the best deal goin, though all the PAYG phones are pretty grim. I had a Nokia from Presidents Choice $10min per month Credit went in no time. You pay to receive too and its extra to make a non local call.

Phones are just one of those things that simply arent as good here.

If you need them for emergencies only you'd be better off bringing your UK phone with PAYG SIN in it.

Most UK phones can be topped up via the web so it doesnt matter your over here. However, check can receive and MAKE calls with it from Canada.
My T Mobile would receive though I couldnt make outgoing calls.

I think with O2 for example you only have to make a call every 6 months to keep the number active.

PM me if you have any more queries.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't it only classed as long distance when you have to dial the 1?

over here in montreal we have the 514/438 overlay, and the 514 to 450 in Laval and Montenegrie is definitely not charged as long-distance.

Originally Posted by dobbing
Yeah the Virgin mobile network seems to be as good as any. One thing i think is a major rip off is when you set up the phone you have to choose an area to get the phone number with the area code. The trouble is if you work outside the area code you are charged long distnace calling which sucks. Also the reciever of the call also gets stung to recieve the call.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Thanks for the info. I've looked at the Virgin site but can't see how the topups are valid for before they expire. Is it a month?

One of the reasons I was thinking of getting a contract was that I'd just have a mobile and no landline and maybe buy a package deal from Rogers to include TV, Internet and mobile... I'm still in the early stages of research though.

Suze

Originally Posted by iaink
Are you sure it wasnt a musk rat?

Anyway...
Phones. If you dont do much calling and just want one for emergencies and shopping lists on the way home (thats what mines for) Then virgin is the best canadian deal. PAYG, you can get a functional not too big Nokia for 60 or 70 bucks, then $100 will last you a year, with calls costing 25 -30 c / min, and roll over on the balance if you top up before it expires.

Top ups can be automated by credit card when your balance is down to a certain level, so credit is carried over that way. As preciusly stated it uses the Bell network, but miraculously is far cheaper to run as PAYG goes. It includes voicemail, text messaging etc etc. No downside that Ive found yet, the phone even has quite stellar reception, which counts for a lot where I live!

If you talk a lot, then a contract is a better bet. Outside the bigger cities you might want to talk to people with experience of which provider has the best rural coverage and reception. Round here its Bell. Fido was a non starter, but recently I think it joined with Rogers in some way, so is probably better now.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Suzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant futureSuzey has a brilliant future

Ah, that explains it - I hadn't appreciated that there was a difference between pay monthly and a contract!!! LOL...

Not sure if I can even get a credit card when I first get there, so this is going to be fun...

Push-to-talk sounds a bit crazy! I'll be moving on my own, so I'll have nobody to walkie talkie with, but thanks for the explanation. I'll have to bear that in mind...

Thanks for the info!

Suze

Originally Posted by kt0157
An activation kit is $25, if I recall correctly. Pay monthly has an "activation charge" too (there are charges EVERYWHERE in cellphone land in Canada).

Just a point: the dealer claimed that pay monthly didn't need a contract. I think it just got charged to a credit card, so there was no minimum sign-up (warning: in Canada, minimum sign-ups are typically 18 months, often 36 months!).

Push-to-talk is like a walkie-talkie: you push a button and talk, and it comes out of the other end without ringing, just the voice. Great for wandering through supermarkets and saying "where the Hell are you?" without ringing phones, pay-per-minute (note: per-second billing is not common in Canada, yet another crappy-American-screw-the-customer manifestation; Canada is just way too close to the Excited States for its own good). Push-to-talk works Canada-wide and can include groups. Great for nearly-hands-free operation too.

Yep. It's all the fault of the Americans: they get away with ripping off customers in a way that would make a big UK corporation salivate. Canadian corporations (the few not owned by the Excited States) just copy them.

K.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Yeah, it was the topup thing that put me off the PAYG. I figured I might as well just pay monthly and be done with it. I'll have to look into it some more...

I'm trying to work out ways of getting a credit history there too - it will help no end. I tend to take it for granted a bit here as I never had to put in any effort to build it up (got offered first credit card when I became a student).

Suze

Originally Posted by Andy_Jen
Pleasure. There are PAYG plans that will roll-over your minutes as long as you top up before they expire. It is all really complicated as K. says. Mobile phone plans generally seem to be lagging behind compared to the UK...but wait until you look at banking fees!!

A contract may be cost effective, but I'm not sure how easy it is to do without a credit-history or job. In the UK when I first arrived 10 years ago it took me several years to get approval for a mobile phone....rebuilding credit sucks but I'm trying to look at it as an opportunity (not that I had bad credit in the UK - just trying to be positive).

We've been in Ottawa a week and are really enjoying it. We went today for a walk along the riverside and down to a beach (trans-canada trail). Absolutely beautiful and we even saw a beaver.

Hope it all goes well for you,
Jen
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Yeah, I've checked out the Virgin handsets and the one I have now is a lot nicer! So I'll have to decide if I want access to cheap mobile telephony or to keep my handset.

Unfortunately my Orange PAYG phone doesn't work in Canada at all. I'm going to have to bite the bullet...

Suze

Originally Posted by Buchan6
The Virgin that iaink mentions is about the best deal goin, though all the PAYG phones are pretty grim. I had a Nokia from Presidents Choice $10min per month Credit went in no time. You pay to receive too and its extra to make a non local call.

Phones are just one of those things that simply arent as good here.

If you need them for emergencies only you'd be better off bringing your UK phone with PAYG SIN in it.

Most UK phones can be topped up via the web so it doesnt matter your over here. However, check can receive and MAKE calls with it from Canada.
My T Mobile would receive though I couldnt make outgoing calls.

I think with O2 for example you only have to make a call every 6 months to keep the number active.

PM me if you have any more queries.
Old Jul 14th 2006, 1:03 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Suzey
Hi

Yeah, I've checked out the Virgin handsets and the one I have now is a lot nicer! So I'll have to decide if I want access to cheap mobile telephony or to keep my handset.

Unfortunately my Orange PAYG phone doesn't work in Canada at all. I'm going to have to bite the bullet...

Suze

Hi Suze
cheap mobile telephony doesnt exist here !

What you can get that are good are cheap international calling cards You dial a local number then your overseas on prompt $10 gets you over 4 hours to UK. All you pay for on the cell is the first couple of minutes to bill on your cell.
Virgin top ups last 90 days
All others Ive seen last 30.

You can prabably unlock your Orange phone and get a UK PAYG that does work. I used a guy off ebay cost a couple of quid. PM me if you want the details.

Woekmate of mine has just applied and received a credit card from Canadian Tire, Been here a nd working for a couple of months. Even your own bank is likely to want say $10K dowm for $5K limit....crazy eh !!!
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

OK, I meant *relatively* cheap

I don't think I'll be needing to call abroad much, or if I do I'll use Skype or something like that.

Currently I top my Orange phone up once every few months as the credit doesn't expire.

When I went to TD Canada Trust she said I could have a credit card if I gave them $1k to secure it. She said "it's not fair for us to keep your money and not give anything back, so we keep it in a savings account for you until you get an unsecured card". The interest on the savings? 1%. The length of time I'd have to secure my card? Three years. No way am I doing that...

Suze

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Hi Suze
cheap mobile telephony doesnt exist here !

What you can get that are good are cheap international calling cards You dial a local number then your overseas on prompt $10 gets you over 4 hours to UK. All you pay for on the cell is the first couple of minutes to bill on your cell.
Virgin top ups last 90 days
All others Ive seen last 30.

You can prabably unlock your Orange phone and get a UK PAYG that does work. I used a guy off ebay cost a couple of quid. PM me if you want the details.

Woekmate of mine has just applied and received a credit card from Canadian Tire, Been here a nd working for a couple of months. Even your own bank is likely to want say $10K dowm for $5K limit....crazy eh !!!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Qfragger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neill
Isn't it only classed as long distance when you have to dial the 1?

over here in montreal we have the 514/438 overlay, and the 514 to 450 in Laval and Montenegrie is definitely not charged as long-distance.
I used to live in Meaford and work in Collingwood which is about 30 k away and that is classed as long distance.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:37 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

simple nbut important check for bring a UK GSM phone..

Check the GSM coverage for the are you're planning on moving to

the GTA and lower BC have great coverage... But significant parts of Canada are still analog and you're phone won't work at all..

Thats why a Canadain tri band phone is GSM, other, and analog
Old Jul 15th 2006, 3:32 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Expirey of Virgin top up is dependent on how much you $ you put in. I think (and this is my memory, so dont trust it) at $10 its a month, at $25 it lasts 3 months, and at $100 its a year. Its on the site somewhere, but its not the easiest site to get past the bullshit and find what you are actually looking for. in the FAQs maybe? Just call em up when you are in Canada on the 800 line and ask them.

Deals on phones in Canada are not as great as the UK, but what can you do. When in Rome and all that.