Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone that works in UK and Canada ?

Mobile phone that works in UK and Canada ?

Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

trouncer is on a distinguished road
Default Mobile phone that works in UK and Canada ?

Hi all,
Just wondered if someone could advise ?
I was hoping my mobile of several years would last until I got to Canada but it's now bust. It's extremely old (no colour, no pic, no camera, no games, no web. Totally basic and old).

I'd like/have to buy a new one but want it to work over in Canada as well. I'm with Virgin. Can anyone tell me if this is possible ? and if so, what type of phone do I ask for ? Someone I know has said i ask for a 'tri-band' phone, is that correct ? I need it to work here and then over in Vancouver where I'll hopefully be permanently soon. Don't really want to be buying an expensive phone here, and then yet another over there.

Any help and advice appreciated.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future
Default Re: Mobile phone that works in UK and Canada ?

yes, you will want a triband phone

it will then work on the networks of Fido and Rogers in Canada

-- all EU countries, and most African and Asian countries, use two frequency bands for GSM networks (900/1800). North America, and parts of CALA, use another frequency band: 1900. You will want a phone that works on all three, 900/1800/1900. Most new phones do.

In North America, another cellphone standard is popular: CDMA (used by TELUS and Bell). This is _not_ compatible with GSM. Therefore you need to go with either Fido or Rogers.

Sorry for the gibberish, after ten years of working with this stuff, one becomes quickly incomprehensible.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Also make sure that it is at least Tri Band or Quad Band too
Old Feb 15th 2009, 4:19 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

We came over in Dec - all turned our phones on - all picked up Rogers amnd telus -except my dad who had a Uk Virgin mob!! also when we went to buy sims - His wouldnt work . . just thought Id tell you !
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone who answered. You all explained it very well. Much appreciated guys. Just a few more questions ........ :-

1. Is quadband a very new technology or will phone shops understand me when I ask for one that has this ? Are they commonly sold now ?

2. Can you get a phone with tri/quadband 'and' CDM or are these incompatible technologies ? Just wondering if I can have a phone that's compatible with all providers ie. Rogers, FIDO, TELUS and BELL ? (ie. all the providers ?).

3. Which do you recommend as the best to go with in Canada (TELUS ? Rogers ? etc.). I guess I'm an infrequent user and currently have 'pay as you go' (no contract), but would be willing to go with whoever turns out cheaper and is best for customer service too.

4. If I get a phone that's on Virgin that is tri or quadband, surely this should work over there like any other phone ? or is it best to go with another provider ? If so which is best in the UK (O2 ? Vodafone ? etc.) that will help in ensuring it will work over there ?

Thanks again to everyone that answered and anyone else who may want to comment on giving further advice above.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by trouncer
1. Is quadband a very new technology or will phone shops understand me when I ask for one that has this ? Are they commonly sold now ?
commonly sold, about 5 years old or so

2. Can you get a phone with tri/quadband 'and' CDM or are these incompatible technologies ? Just wondering if I can have a phone that's compatible with all providers ie. Rogers, FIDO, TELUS and BELL ? (ie. all the providers ?).
no.
there is no phone out there that works on GSM/UMTS/triband/quadband (all the same family) and CDMA (the other big family)

4. If I get a phone that's on Virgin that is tri or quadband, surely this should work over there like any other phone ? or is it best to go with another provider ? If so which is best in the UK (O2 ? Vodafone ? etc.) that will help in ensuring it will work over there ?
that depends.
-if you want to take your UK phone _and_ contract to Canada and use it as a visitor, you must check wiwth your UK provider to see, if they allow "roaming" (i.e. use of phone abroad)
-if you want to take the UK phone, remove the UK SIM card, and insert a Canadian SIM card and use it with a Canadian provider's contract/prepay option, than you need what is called an "unlocked" phone, i.e. a phone that can work on any network, with any SIM card
-check the UK offers, to see if the phones are unlocked
-also, a locked phone can be unlocked in most back alley type phone stores against a $20 fee roundabout

Thanks again to everyone that answered and anyone else who may want to comment on giving further advice above. [/QUOTE]

Last edited by Ikatita; Feb 15th 2009 at 8:55 am. Reason: copy/paste mistake
Old Feb 15th 2009, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

I brought my UK Virgin mob - unlocked, with me, yes it does work BUT - the calls cost 1POUND 85PENCE per min to SEND AND RECEIVE, and texts cost 35PENCE to SEND AND RECEIVE, also the PAY AS YOU GO top up vouchers do not work on your UK phone, you have to top up with a UK credit card. Not really worth it in my opinion.
Lesley
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

So let me get this straight ......

If I buy a tri or quadband phone (from Virgin) in the UK, then move (permanently) to Vancouver, I get the phone unlocked, then get another SIM (from Rogers ? FIDO ? whoever ?) and a PAYG contract, and I should be ok ? or is this an expensive way of doing it ?

Also, can you buy phones 'unlocked' when you go with a provider here and in Canada ?
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by trouncer
So let me get this straight ......

If I buy a tri or quadband phone (from Virgin) in the UK, then move (permanently) to Vancouver, I get the phone unlocked, then get another SIM (from Rogers ? FIDO ? whoever ?) and a PAYG contract, and I should be ok ? or is this an expensive way of doing it ?

Also, can you buy phones 'unlocked' when you go with a provider here and in Canada ?
In my humble opinion I would wait till I got here if your "old" phone is no good, there are some good deals here. As soon as my SIN number is sorted then I will be getting another one and not really using the UK one.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:19 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Instead of continuing with your Virgin sim, you could buy an O2 phone and sim as O2 phones are always unlocked.

OR... you could get a really cheap phone to keep you going till you move, you'll get an alright one for £20 these days, as phones go out of fashion so fast. Then when you are in Canada you can research the phones and networks.

http://travelabroad.o2-uktech.com/location.php - call charges for using O2 sim in Canada

http://travelabroad.o2-uktech.com/pa...ction=personal - Info on using Rogers network with O2 sim

http://www.gsmworld.com/cgi-bin/ni_m...&net=rw&opts=2 - Rogers network coverage map

From the above links I gather that if you were to use an O2 sim in Canada it would connect to the Rogers network... you will need a TRI BAND phone

Quick search on The Carphone Warehouse site shows this
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mob...50/PPAY#bottom

Decent looking Samsung, Tri Band, on O2 network, £30 including £10 credit

Last edited by Kaye.; Feb 15th 2009 at 11:36 pm. Reason: added links