Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone contracts

Mobile phone contracts

Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile phone contracts

Hello Everyone, I'm going to be coming to Canada in the next 2 weeks as a Temporary foreign worker for 2 years. Can I get a mobile phone contract or not I have a previous contract phone in the uk for previous 2 years should I try and apply for credit check , if that's possible from my bank and who gives the best contract and service are there any bundle deals that include Internet.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:21 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone contracts

Without knowing where in Canada you're going, the answer is maybe.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:28 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

There are a bucket of different threads on this if you do a search...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797610

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=659786

Bundling isn't always cheapest here. Look at some of the smaller providers for both phone and internet.

Mobile: includes but not limited to Koodo, Wind, Mobilicity, Fido, etc
Internet: TekSavvy, VMedia, etc
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link I'm going to be staying in manitoba
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Those links are over 1 year old the deal from wind $39.00 a month looked great seeing as you could also use that sim in the USA, and a generous data Allowance I have just come out a 2 year contract with network 3 in the U k. I have an I phone 4 s will that phone be compatible with Canadian SIM cards I've also looked at koodo but can't seem to find an answer if a phone is included in a contract ....
Old Jun 4th 2014, 5:24 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Koodo, so I know their system well.

Basically, they have a "tab" - they front you money towards a phone.

Take, for example, the Nexus 5. It sells at Koodo at retail for $400. You can use $150 in a tab, and pay $250 up front. You then pay down the balance on your tab every month over 12 months. After 12 months your monthly plan cost goes down as you're no longer paying off your "loan", I think it's a 10% discount.

If you choose to leave Koodo after, say, 6 months, you still owe $75 on your tab. So you just pay out the last $75 that you owe for your phone, and that's it, no cancellation costs or other fees.

If you have an unlocked iPhone already, then just take 10% off any of the monthly plans.

Alternatively, you can also use Koodo's Pay As You Go plans, which may be cheaper, depending how you use your phone.

Make sense?
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:19 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deerhunter74
Those links are over 1 year old the deal from wind $39.00 a month looked great seeing as you could also use that sim in the USA, and a generous data Allowance I have just come out a 2 year contract with network 3 in the U k. I have an I phone 4 s will that phone be compatible with Canadian SIM cards I've also looked at koodo but can't seem to find an answer if a phone is included in a contract ....
I doubt WIND works anywhere in Manitoba. I might be wrong though!

The iPhone, provided it's unlocked of course, should work on most networks. Again, it might not work on WIND as they use rather specific frequencies and not all phones work on the network.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 6:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
I doubt WIND works anywhere in Manitoba. I might be wrong though!

The iPhone, provided it's unlocked of course, should work on most networks. Again, it might not work on WIND as they use rather specific frequencies and not all phones work on the network.
You would be wrong, lol

https://www.windmobile.ca/network-and-coverage/coverage
Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I'm with Koodo, so I know their system well.

Basically, they have a "tab" - they front you money towards a phone.

Take, for example, the Nexus 5. It sells at Koodo at retail for $400. You can use $150 in a tab, and pay $250 up front. You then pay down the balance on your tab every month over 12 months. After 12 months your monthly plan cost goes down as you're no longer paying off your "loan", I think it's a 10% discount.

If you choose to leave Koodo after, say, 6 months, you still owe $75 on your tab. So you just pay out the last $75 that you owe for your phone, and that's it, no cancellation costs or other fees.

If you have an unlocked iPhone already, then just take 10% off any of the monthly plans.

Alternatively, you can also use Koodo's Pay As You Go plans, which may be cheaper, depending how you use your phone.

Make sense?
thanks kinda but it seems a lot more difficult choosing a plan I've been spoiled with unlimited deals ' in the uk
Old Jun 4th 2014, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

I've looked at the compare cellular site it's been a help ,but the phone I would of liked samsung galaxy note 3 wasn't available and from what I've heard the newer I phones aren't user friendly .
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:15 pm
Concierge

I've looked at the compare cellular site it's been a help ,but the phone I would of liked samsung galaxy note 3 wasn't available and from what I've heard the newer I phones aren't user friendly .
*"would have", which shortens to "would've", not "would of". :P Sorry, pet peeve.

You can always buy the Note3 outright - Amazon.ca has it for around $700. Then you can go with someone like Koodo for 10% off the monthly bill because you bring your own phone.

There are tons of other great Android phones out right now - Nexus 5 (which I have and adore), HTC One M8 (super slick), Samsung Galaxy S5 (brand new and screaming fast), Moto G (super cheap but fantastic value and can't beat the price - Husband has this and likes it)... and if you want something a bit cheaper then you can get year-old phones for great deals now (Samsung Galaxy S3 or S4, Nexus 4, HTC One, etc).

Not sure who you heard that rubbish about iPhones from, though... iOS7 is great, and iOS8 will bring a bunch of new functionality when it's released later this year. Both the 5S and 5C are great phones.

I'm not looking to kick off an Apple vs Android debate, really it depends what you want out of your phone.

If you want a phone that "just works" but is not as customizable but is a "tighter" software package, so to speak, then go with Apple. Both the 5C and 5S are excellently reviewed phones, though be aware the 6 is likely to be released in September, so it might be worth holding on as the 5C and 5S prices will drop quite a bit at that point.

If you want a phone you can customize more, then Android is the way to go. If you don't want to spend a lot on an Android, then get the Moto G - great phone for basic usage - web browsing, phone calls, data, etc, not great for more advanced stuff - camera is rubbish, screen is ok, battery is ok. The Nexus 5 is a brilliant middle-ground phone that is good for about 95% of usage. Marginally smaller battery than its upper competitors (main price difference factor is this), but beautiful screen, fast processor, thin, responsive, slick, sells outright for $400-450 or so. If you want a punchier phone with all the bells and whistles then you're looking at things like the HTC One M8 or the Galaxy S5 and the like.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 8:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's available with tons of providers.

Networks:
Canada: Bell, EastLink, Latitude Wireless, Mobilicity, MTS Mobility, NorthernTel, Rogers, SaskTel, Solo Mobile, Tbaytel, TELUS, Videotron, WIND Mobile

http://www.comparecellular.com/cell-...galaxy-note-3/

http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wirel...+galaxy+note+3

http://www.windmobile.ca/plans-and-d...-galaxy-note-3

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wirel...LK&N=52+11+277

http://www.telus.com/en/mb/mobility/...talogCardNote3
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for all the reply's and links to my question, it seems comicsted choosing a cellphone package in North America compared to the tiny United Kingdom . For the moment I will probably use my old I phone 4s' and hope to get a discount on a monthly contract before I decide to purchase a new phone .
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

thanks kinda but it seems a lot more difficult choosing a plan I've been spoiled with unlimited deals ' in the uk
I have an unlimited Canada wide calling and texting with 2G of data from Virgin mobile for $60 per month. They use the Bell network so good coverage.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:04 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The MTS plans are similar to what Sastel offers but look like a tiny bit more money, I get unlimited data and 150 long distance minutes + talk and text for about $73. MTS'97% coverage in the province and good national roaming is hard to argue with but their 'no tethering' means you probably can't slave a tablet or laptop to it which is BS imo. In Sask no problem wifi'ng my tablet through my phone. Email them and ask if you can use your current phone if you want. If you do a lot of trans-continental long distance you can buy cards in the grocery stores for so and so cents/minute. I used to. buy the North American ld cards @ 4c/minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.