Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile Internet in Canda/ USA

Mobile Internet in Canda/ USA

Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Internet in Canda/ USA

Originally Posted by Aviator
Quite the contrary, Bell were awful, I am with Rogers now and have had no issues at all.
I think they both sucked (and TELUS) and then when the smaller carriers came in and the CRTC started changing the rules they both improved. But you only have to look at all the swanky office buildings they're putting up to know you're being ripped off.

If you spend any significant time in the US it's better using a US carrier, imo.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 10:30 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Sasktel's Ultimate 65 plan gives me unlimited internet on my phone anywhere in Canada, unlimited talk in my area and with any Sasktel Mobility phone in Canada and unlimited text in Canada plus 150 long distance minutes in Canada and US. You can buy a variety of pre-paid long distance cards at the grocery and they're typically 2 to 4 cents/minute for Canada and US but since I got the plan haven't used them. You'd probably want the international ones. If you go into the US and start web surfing they probably hit hard for roaming but that's to be expected. I've found the real-time highway cams and road reports to be a big help driving through the mountains. My bill is about $73.

Last edited by caretaker; Nov 20th 2013 at 10:36 am. Reason: just keep tamping info in there
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:49 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I think they both sucked (and TELUS) and then when the smaller carriers came in and the CRTC started changing the rules they both improved. But you only have to look at all the swanky office buildings they're putting up to know you're being ripped off.

If you spend any significant time in the US it's better using a US carrier, imo.
And they all ganged up on T-Mobile or was it Verizon in their attempt to buy into the Canadian mobile market
Old Nov 20th 2013, 1:52 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Well I'd imagine it was to draw attention to the fact that the territory is massive (and essentially uninhabited) and therefore the OP should expect to drive for days with next to no service.
Thank you...exactly my intended point. I guess some people just need that extra explanation

Rich...are you clear now, or you still don't have the foggiest?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 5:53 pm
Just Joined

djlucy is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the short answer is: if you want to hold on to cellular date on your iPad, be prepared to be ripped off.

I've found that once you start adding data to any mobile plan the price rockets up. It's very different to the UK where you can get huge data plans for low prices. There's no way around paying big prices for data here.......yet!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2
in the UK I have a contract with 3G for my iPad. £15 a month 15Gb. This does me well and I find I can get coverage in 99% of situations.

Im a bit concerned about finding a similar service in Canada. You see, Im a truck driver and my iPad is like my right arm when Im on the road.

Anyone shed any light on the availability, cost of this kind of service?

Cheers
This is Canada. You'll be lucky to find landline phone service in some places.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I had Rogers when I first arrived in Canada,what a pain in the ass ,they used to call me asking when I was going to pay the bill and I hadnt received it yet and could I pay it at their video store ,WTF! I got rid of them pronto.Im fed up with these mobile phone companies now ,I limit my calls ,use pre-paid phones ,I use a Trac-Phone in USA cost me $20 and $20 for 120min air time ,only use for breakdowns .I use the wifi at Flying J ,save up my loyalty points so its free and use skype to talk to my gf.In Canada I have a pre-paid Telus.Its works for me as my company gives me $40 for cell use and we use qualcomm for despatch.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I had Rogers when I first arrived in Canada,what a pain in the ass ,they used to call me asking when I was going to pay the bill and I hadnt received it yet and could I pay it at their video store ,WTF! I got rid of them pronto.Im fed up with these mobile phone companies now ,I limit my calls ,use pre-paid phones ,I use a Trac-Phone in USA cost me $20 and $20 for 120min air time ,only use for breakdowns .I use the wifi at Flying J ,save up my loyalty points so its free and use skype to talk to my gf.In Canada I have a pre-paid Telus.Its works for me as my company gives me $40 for cell use and we use qualcomm for despatch.
Like many things in life its how you view them. I too had chest pain and couldn't seem to breathe when I saw the cost of 3g data in Canada. It quickly broke me of my ways. I used to be a terrible "phone fiddler" in the UK with cheap data plans. I now use 7/11 payg and spend a few $ at most a month on mobiles and don't have a data plan.
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by headingwest
Like many things in life its how you view them. I too had chest pain and couldn't seem to breathe when I saw the cost of 3g data in Canada. It quickly broke me of my ways. I used to be a terrible "phone fiddler" in the UK with cheap data plans. I now use 7/11 payg and spend a few $ at most a month on mobiles and don't have a data plan.
You learnt like me,its just a license to print money!
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:49 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you don't use this right hand IPad whilst trucking ? Wouldn't want to hit a cyclist whilst not full concentrating on the job .
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Hope you don't use this right hand IPad whilst trucking ? Wouldn't want to hit a cyclist whilst not full concentrating on the job .
Wow,do people still ride bicycles in cities lol
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 4:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I've found the real-time highway cams and road reports to be a big help driving through the mountains.
Absolutely, weather forecasts are hopeless for the mountains, webcams and the radar imagery are about the only way. Often they have deck sensors on the bridges too.

I remember one time several years ago I was driving down I-15 and the weather forecast for Butte was something like 4 C, chance of snow and Idaho Falls was 8 C, chance of snow/rain and in the Monida Pass it was a frigging nightmare. Full on zero visibility blizzard. And that was at the end of April!
Old Nov 26th 2013, 7:04 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

As many have said on here, unless you have wads of money, or a generous employer, you'll switch off your data and use the available wifi hotspots when you find them...

This cheap mobile data is a novelty to me after 10yrs in the void...