Mobile company to call/text UK cheaply

Mobile company to call/text UK cheaply

Old Jul 7th 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Welsh Tony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mobile company to call/text UK cheaply

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
Hi,

I am going to be spending two weeks in Toronto and two weeks in the UK during the next 3-4 months until our permanent move. In this period my partner will be in the UK and want to know the best way or company to get a mobile from which has cheap texts particulary (but also phone calls) to the UK and to recieve from UK. Indeed even when we are over full time it would be good to have a cheap way to send and recieve texts back home/

Anyone had this problem before and have any suggestions?

Thanks

Julie
If you purchase any canadian mobile phone you can use
http://www.poketalk.com/index.php
to call uk landlines. It also works with canadian landlines too. Calls are restricted to 10 mins in length, and 30 per month but it can still save a big dent in you piggy bank as it is totally free.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:44 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread but it's not as bad as the first couple of posters make out. Texting the uk will cost 12cents per text and you can do this on any PAYG phone (my wife does this for about $10/mth and also uses the phone for local calls etc - thats with Rogers). If you can bring a phone with you (that will work over here) you'll also save some cash - although be sure to unlock it first.

For phoning home use a phone card or skype.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Hi Julie

I know a lot of people knock Koodoo, but I find it a great way to keep in touch with people back home via text.
All their calling plans include international texting (unlimited texts) and I have a $20 per month plan. 100 anytime minutes (which I don't really use much) I just use it to text home. When I used my PAYG Uk sim to text home it cost me 50p per text, so when I send dozens of text's home, the $20 per month is worth it for me. Yes, the phones are a bit crappy but it doesn the job so I'm not too fussed about that. Important thing to note, Koodoo only text to certain mobile providers. I know they text to 02, T-mobile and I think Vodaphone, but check first.

If you can get a landline though, try Goldline.
They are like Onetel (if you've heard of it?) You can pay say $10 and prepay it to your home phone. Then you dial the Goldline number before dialing the UK number and when you phone the UK on it, it takes the cost of the call off the pre-paid balance.
UK calls cost $0.025 per minute. (Phoning mobiles is consideralby higher at $0.225 per min) but for the landline its a good deal. $10 lasts a long time!

Hope thats helpful.

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
Hi,

I am going to be spending two weeks in Toronto and two weeks in the UK during the next 3-4 months until our permanent move. In this period my partner will be in the UK and want to know the best way or company to get a mobile from which has cheap texts particulary (but also phone calls) to the UK and to recieve from UK. Indeed even when we are over full time it would be good to have a cheap way to send and recieve texts back home/

Anyone had this problem before and have any suggestions?

Thanks

Julie
Old Jul 12th 2009, 5:12 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Shaw Phone Lite is 1c per minute to the UK..........seems a bargain to me
Old Jul 12th 2009, 3:09 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Shaw Phone Lite is 1c per minute to the UK..........seems a bargain to me
Er...how are you getting 1c a minute from Shaw?

All their advertising says 4c a minute for long distance to the UK.

http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/ProductsSer...ance/FindARate
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Thats what I saw too
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:20 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you can pay extra for that. We get 4c a minute ourselves cos it wasn't worth the extra $10 for 1c/min - this was last year tho, so that deal may not exist any more
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:28 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, could have sworn I was paying 1c...........still, don't call the UK that much using the phone, generally call people using Skype so its free.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

BC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant futureBC-Roo has a brilliant future

you may want to check out http://www.rebtel.com/en/Home/
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:17 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this in another thread but it seems very relevant here. I use:

http://www.justdial.ca/

2.5c/min to the UK. No access fee. No contract etc. No monthly service fee. Top up online. They have lots of national/international access numbers. You can register phones you use regularly (landline, cell) to avoid having to use a PIN. Always connects and good quality.

We have PRIMUS for home phone but still use this for UK.

Hope this helps someone