Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mississauga & surrounding areas

Mississauga & surrounding areas

Old Feb 24th 2014, 3:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mississauga & surrounding areas

Originally Posted by colchar
Where in Mississauga will he be working? Knowing that (an address or nearest intersection) would make it easier to recommend areas as Mississauga is quite big.

As for Brampton, I live there and it is fine.

And ignore any and all comments from dbd33. Many of us here have him on ignore, and for good reason.
Hey, I gave a plug for Brampton above; I thought you'd love me now.
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Jennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to beholdJennyw13 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone. He'll be working at Meadowvale Boulevard, so anywhere within a reasonable commute is worth considering, but ideally we'd like a house near decent public transport as we may only have 1 car initially. I'll have a look at some of the other areas you have mentioned!
Old Feb 24th 2014, 5:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jennyw13
Thanks everyone. He'll be working at Meadowvale Boulevard, so anywhere within a reasonable commute is worth considering, but ideally we'd like a house near decent public transport as we may only have 1 car initially. I'll have a look at some of the other areas you have mentioned!
That's way north so I'd think the options are:

- find out which bus, if any, goes to the place of work, live on that route, leave the car at home

- move to the south of Mississauga, say to Port Credit, where there's good train and bus transit, use the car to commute

Streetsville has an actual high street with a pub. That might be alright and within bus range of work.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 24th 2014 at 5:16 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2014, 12:01 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Depending where on Meadowvale Boulevard it would be, it might be close to the Meadowvale GO Station. Problem is that this is on the Milton line, which isn't currently too well served, nowhere near the same as Lakeshore West line.

You may want to look at Burlington or Oakville. Drive time it would be maybe 30 - 50 minutes (depending on traffic), so that's not too bad.

I think the MiWay (think that is the Mississauga Transit name) is pretty good. I can say Oakvile Transit is very good, used it to get from the house to the station on a daily basis for about six to eight months and never had a problem.

As others have suggested, look at the MLS website and see what house prices are like for areas you are interested in, then have a look on the public transit websites for those regions and see how that matches up for where you want to be and where you need to go (work).
Old Feb 25th 2014, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

jaysangha is an unknown quantity at this point

There are many new houses that have gone up just south of Meadowvale over the last few years. We've been in Erin Mills for 6 years and it offers everything you could ask for with young kids plus great links to downtown, GTA and Niagara.

Many of those aforementioned houses are townhouses so not as expensive as the bigger detached homes. You may want to rent or buy one of the smaller places while you decide if Canada is for you.

Personally, I wouldn't go near Brampton.

Good luck!
Old Feb 25th 2014, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaysangha
Personally, I wouldn't go near Brampton.

Good luck!
why not?

I hear conflicting views

please give us the good, the bad, and the indifferent

thanks