Mississauga - please advise

Mississauga - please advise

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:29 pm
GSJ
Forum Regular

GSJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mississauga - please advise

Hi,

I’m planning on moving to Mississauga (Ontario) once I have secured a job there. My wife and son will be joining me - we all possess PR status. Does anyone know of the decent areas around there where I can rent (to begin with). I would be looking for something which is an easy commute to the city using car / public transport. I’m hoping to work in the financial district however do not want to live in the heart of the city itself – as I want to escape from city life at the end of each day. Another requirement is good nurseries for my son near by.

Please suggest of any decent / low crime areas to bring up a family that match my requirements.

Thanks
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mississauga - please advise

Port Credit. Clarkson. Anywhere south of the QEW except 55 Park St and the Talka Village.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 11:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GSJ
Hi,

I’m planning on moving to Mississauga (Ontario) once I have secured a job there. My wife and son will be joining me - we all possess PR status. Does anyone know of the decent areas around there where I can rent (to begin with). I would be looking for something which is an easy commute to the city using car / public transport. I’m hoping to work in the financial district however do not want to live in the heart of the city itself – as I want to escape from city life at the end of each day. Another requirement is good nurseries for my son near by.

Please suggest of any decent / low crime areas to bring up a family that match my requirements.

Thanks
The areas dbd mentioned also benefit from having GO train stations. Clarkson is one of the few stations served by the express trains during rush hour, so the trip to/from TO is only about 20 minutes.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

scruff3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Areas to consider:

Northwest Mississauga (Streetsville / Erin Mills) and South Mississauga (Lorne Park, Port Credit, Clarkson) - the majority of the households in these areas are upper-middle class living in single (detached) family homes.

Generally, Mississauga is a safe, quiet place to live and I've never heard it being a city associated with high crime

Last edited by scruff3; Aug 20th 2008 at 7:43 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

ijmk is an unknown quantity at this point

While we are beating the topic again (I looked at many threads found in search)...

Any opinions on the area adjacent to 401 where it's crossed by Hurontario, i.e. Britannia Road? We've booked Studio6 motel there for first two weeks and I wonder, if we are going to get stuck there while searching for a rental, is this area safe? The motel stands actually in an industrial/warehouse district (at least that's what I see in Google Maps), but two blocks west there are some residential already.

Thanks!
Old Aug 21st 2008, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ijmk
While we are beating the topic again (I looked at many threads found in search)...

Any opinions on the area adjacent to 401 where it's crossed by Hurontario, i.e. Britannia Road? We've booked Studio6 motel there for first two weeks and I wonder, if we are going to get stuck there while searching for a rental, is this area safe? The motel stands actually in an industrial/warehouse district (at least that's what I see in Google Maps), but two blocks west there are some residential already.

Thanks!
Safe, yes.
Old Aug 22nd 2008, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Spindacud is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 for Streetsville

Myself along with my wife and three kids (aged 7, 9 and 13) moved from London to Mississauga 3 years ago and we have enjoyed living in Canada ever since!

Reasons we decided to settle in Streetsville:

- Quiet, safe and established neighbourhood (We live around Bristol Rd/Creditview Rd)
- Excellent schools
- Easy access to quality health care (Credit Valley Hospital)
- Family friendly
- Lots of green space
- Friendly neighbours (from many different backgrounds)
- We have a decent size backyard for the kids to play
- Downtown Streetsville is beautiful in the summer
- 15 minute drive to Mississauga's city centre

We also considered the towns of Burlington and Oakville, but decided against it as we did not want to raise our kids in a bubble.

I work in Private Equity in downtown Toronto and commute everyday via the QEW. Also use the GO during the winter. Everything is at your doorstep over here! E-mail me anytime if you have any questions
Old Aug 24th 2008, 8:05 am
Just Joined

sairas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spindacud
+1 for Streetsville

Myself along with my wife and three kids (aged 7, 9 and 13) moved from London to Mississauga 3 years ago and we have enjoyed living in Canada ever since!

Reasons we decided to settle in Streetsville:

- Quiet, safe and established neighbourhood (We live around Bristol Rd/Creditview Rd)
- Excellent schools
- Easy access to quality health care (Credit Valley Hospital)
- Family friendly
- Lots of green space
- Friendly neighbours (from many different backgrounds)
- We have a decent size backyard for the kids to play
- Downtown Streetsville is beautiful in the summer
- 15 minute drive to Mississauga's city centre

We also considered the towns of Burlington and Oakville, but decided against it as we did not want to raise our kids in a bubble.

I work in Private Equity in downtown Toronto and commute everyday via the QEW. Also use the GO during the winter. Everything is at your doorstep over here! E-mail me anytime if you have any questions
My husband and i and our 2 kids (aged 4 and 7) will be moving to Toronto within a year from London UK and i wondered if you think that Mississauga would be good for us. my girls goes to a private school but i was thinking of us moving into a good area (bit more upmarket) where the state schools are excellent and my husband can have not too long a journey into the financial district for work.
if there are private schools in this are - could you recommend any plse. and which part of Mississauga would you recommend? do you ever miss home and family/friends. :-(
Old Aug 24th 2008, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in Mississauga for 14 years - I live near Erin Mills Town centre - very nice area lots of amenities - VERY safe - there are private schools not far away Rotherglen is one of them , the public schools in my area have good reputations also. You can PM me if you need specifics
Old Aug 24th 2008, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ijmk

Any opinions on the area adjacent to 401 where it's crossed by Hurontario, i.e. Britannia Road? We've booked Studio6 motel there for first two weeks and I wonder, if we are going to get stuck there while searching for a rental, is this area safe?
Oh dear god. I stayed there two years ago and the place is HORRIBLE! Best avoided at all costs. It is cheap, indeed, but it stinks, is noisy and not at all what you would be accustomed to back home. For a little more money you can get far better places to stay. Like the Novotel near Square One.
Old Aug 24th 2008, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

ijmk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Oh dear god. I stayed there two years ago and the place is HORRIBLE! Best avoided at all costs. It is cheap, indeed, but it stinks, is noisy and not at all what you would be accustomed to back home. For a little more money you can get far better places to stay. Like the Novotel near Square One.
Well, we travelled a lot and we stayed in Novotel in Europe and we stayed in french hotels that cost from 30 Euro per night. Unless it's serving truck overnight parking, nothing is going to scare us, I think.

I plan to search for a sublet or furnished house on the next day. Looked over the Net but I don't want to book for weeks and months without seeing it. Some furnished apt charge one week worth cancellation fee.

Novotel should be fine but: 1. You are looking at 100+/night - too much for me even if I stay for two weeks. 2. Suites with kitchenette will cost even more (if they have them).

I was thinking about Motel6 Mississauga (somewhere west) but there you get just standard hotel room, maybe with coffee machine in room but nothing more.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:03 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
Port Credit. Clarkson. Anywhere south of the QEW except 55 Park St and the Talka Village.
Nuff said!! Plus Streetsville!
Old Aug 30th 2008, 3:09 am
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

I have just been staying with family in Mississauga and to me Mississauga road is the road to live on.... Absolutely breathtaking
Old Aug 30th 2008, 6:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by manningl
I have just been staying with family in Mississauga and to me Mississauga road is the road to live on.... Absolutely breathtaking
It's nice but the flashest street in the GTA is probably the Bridal Path in North York.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 2:15 am
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's nice but the flashest street in the GTA is probably the Bridal Path in North York.
Come on its not as breathtaking as church south of wellesley

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.