British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   mississauga with children (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/mississauga-children-772306/)

hellcats Sep 21st 2012 4:25 pm

mississauga with children
 
We may be moving to Mississauga and want to find out the best areas to live in. We have a 6 year old. Have searched the archives but obviously not that good at it:)OMG OMG OMG maybe living in Canada.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

dbd33 Sep 21st 2012 4:41 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by hellcats (Post 10292926)
We may be moving to Mississauga and want to find out the best areas to live in. We have a 6 year old. Have searched the archives but obviously not that good at it:)OMG OMG OMG maybe living in Canada.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

South of QEW, nice in an American suburban kind of way, north of QEW, desolate suburbs built on farmland without trees. The area around Square One may be the truest vision of hell available to mortals.

Tuppence Sep 21st 2012 4:43 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10292946)
South of QEW, nice in an American suburban kind of way, north of QEW, desolate suburbs built on farmland without trees. The area around Square One may be the truest vision of hell available to mortals.

True dat

magnumpi Sep 21st 2012 4:52 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 
I think children have to stay in in Mississauga, or kept in a cage in the back garden?





Oops wrong thread, that's just cats!!! :@)

Tuppence Sep 21st 2012 4:54 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 10292963)
I think children have to stay in in Mississauga, or kept in a cage in the back garden?





Oops wrong thread, that's just cats!!! :@)

Well I'm confused cos I thought that was those folks in Halton with the funny laws. And I'm in Miss with two indoor cats (one of which was an indoor cat in the UK) so I don't know if I'm up or down right now :blink:

magnumpi Sep 21st 2012 5:03 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by Tuppence (Post 10292966)
Well I'm confused cos I thought that was those folks in Halton with the funny laws. And I'm in Miss with two indoor cats (one of which was an indoor cat in the UK) so I don't know if I'm up or down right now :blink:

I made it up for fun :@)

Why Mississauga? It's ok in a Milton Keynes, the office, kind of way.

If renting then I suppose it don't matter we're you live as you can move about anyhow.

hellcats Sep 21st 2012 5:08 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 
Thats where my husband may have a job so that is where we are going to stay.:D So the child can go outside but not the cats or is it the other way about. Will buy cages for both just to be on the safe side. lol :rofl:

magnumpi Sep 21st 2012 5:28 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by hellcats (Post 10292994)
Thats where my husband may have a job so that is where we are going to stay.:D So the child can go outside but not the cats or is it the other way about. Will buy cages for both just to be on the safe side. lol :rofl:

Lol Hope the move goes well for you

HGerchikov Sep 21st 2012 7:01 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10292946)
South of QEW, nice in an American suburban kind of way, north of QEW, desolate suburbs built on farmland without trees. The area around Square One may be the truest vision of hell available to mortals.

This is slight exaggeration but not too far from reality, particularly the bit about Square One! Unfortunately the nice bits South of the QEW are really expensive, and not all bits South of the QEW are nice.

Oakvillian Sep 21st 2012 7:06 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by hellcats (Post 10292994)
Thats where my husband may have a job so that is where we are going to stay.:D So the child can go outside but not the cats or is it the other way about. Will buy cages for both just to be on the safe side. lol :rofl:

Whereabouts in Mississauga will he be working? It's quite a sizeable town, with many commercial/industrial estates some way from anywhere I'd choose to live. Think of its relationship to Toronto as Slough is to London - lots of light industrial/commercial development around the main highway and the airport, some still-quite-pretty bits if you know where to look for them. If work is near the edge of town (up near the airport, for example) then there's really nothing to tie the family to MIssissauga as a home-town; plenty other places would provide no worse a commute and a possibly less concrete-jungle domestic environment. If, conversely, work is south of the QEW highway, there are some lovely neighbourhoods within easy striking distance - I don't know them well but dbd33 (an arch-cynic, by the way, whose opinions should generally be taken with a sizeable pinch of salt but tend to have a germ of truth in them somewhere) speaks well of parts of Port Credit and Clarkson Village.

Novocastrian Sep 21st 2012 9:26 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 10293103)
Whereabouts in Mississauga will he be working? It's quite a sizeable town, with many commercial/industrial estates some way from anywhere I'd choose to live. Think of its relationship to Toronto as Slough is to London - lots of light industrial/commercial development around the main highway and the airport, some still-quite-pretty bits if you know where to look for them. If work is near the edge of town (up near the airport, for example) then there's really nothing to tie the family to MIssissauga as a home-town; plenty other places would provide no worse a commute and a possibly less concrete-jungle domestic environment. If, conversely, work is south of the QEW highway, there are some lovely neighbourhoods within easy striking distance - I don't know them well but dbd33 (an arch-cynic, by the way, whose opinions should generally be taken with a sizeable pinch of salt but tend to have a germ of truth in them somewhere) speaks well of parts of Port Credit and Clarkson Village.

And I, another arch-cynic, endorse that post in it's entirety. Basically, working in Mississauga might be tolerable but living there would not be. (Although there are a few patches as discussed).

Zap0ne Sep 23rd 2012 1:12 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 
Sadly Mississauga gets tarred with the same brush. If you want to overlook the ‘legoland’ living then you will need to check out the older communities. Not that there is anything wrong with legoland if that is what you like and you already have your eye on a plastic car right! Mississauga is a large municipality as Oakvillian points out, so proximity to your husbands work might be a commuting/living issue. The commute to work might determine some starting points together with your budget.

FlyingDutchman6666 Sep 23rd 2012 3:42 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 
Mississauga only has a few 'nice' bits: Streetsville, Clarkson Village and (parts of) Port Credit.

Check them out on mls.ca, but be prepared for a price shock, even when coming from the UK.

Cepheus Sep 24th 2012 5:18 pm

Re: mississauga with children
 
We have been in Canada for 5 weeks now and love it. We live just off Mississauga Road in a rented home and we find the area and people very nice.

We have driven around Oakville (or Spookyville as I Call it) and Sheridan homelands. We may end up in Sheridan homelands as we have friends there.

Zap0ne Sep 25th 2012 2:20 am

Re: mississauga with children
 

Originally Posted by Cepheus (Post 10297602)
We have been in Canada for 5 weeks now and love it. We live just off Mississauga Road in a rented home and we find the area and people very nice.

We have driven around Oakville (or Spookyville as I Call it) and Sheridan homelands. We may end up in Sheridan homelands as we have friends there.

Just out of interest, why is Oakville "Spookyville"?


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:08 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.