Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

mississauga with children

mississauga with children

Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

hellcats is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mississauga with children

We may be moving to Mississauga and want to find out the best areas to live in. We have a 6 year old. Have searched the archives but obviously not that good at itOMG OMG OMG maybe living in Canada.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:41 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mississauga with children

Originally Posted by hellcats
We may be moving to Mississauga and want to find out the best areas to live in. We have a 6 year old. Have searched the archives but obviously not that good at itOMG OMG OMG maybe living in Canada.
South of QEW, nice in an American suburban kind of way, north of QEW, desolate suburbs built on farmland without trees. The area around Square One may be the truest vision of hell available to mortals.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
South of QEW, nice in an American suburban kind of way, north of QEW, desolate suburbs built on farmland without trees. The area around Square One may be the truest vision of hell available to mortals.
True dat
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:52 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I think children have to stay in in Mississauga, or kept in a cage in the back garden?

Oops wrong thread, that's just cats!!! :@)
Old Sep 21st 2012, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I think children have to stay in in Mississauga, or kept in a cage in the back garden?

Oops wrong thread, that's just cats!!! :@)
Well I'm confused cos I thought that was those folks in Halton with the funny laws. And I'm in Miss with two indoor cats (one of which was an indoor cat in the UK) so I don't know if I'm up or down right now
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:03 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
Well I'm confused cos I thought that was those folks in Halton with the funny laws. And I'm in Miss with two indoor cats (one of which was an indoor cat in the UK) so I don't know if I'm up or down right now
I made it up for fun :@)

Why Mississauga? It's ok in a Milton Keynes, the office, kind of way.

If renting then I suppose it don't matter we're you live as you can move about anyhow.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

hellcats is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats where my husband may have a job so that is where we are going to stay. So the child can go outside but not the cats or is it the other way about. Will buy cages for both just to be on the safe side. lol
Old Sep 21st 2012, 5:28 pm

Thats where my husband may have a job so that is where we are going to stay. So the child can go outside but not the cats or is it the other way about. Will buy cages for both just to be on the safe side. lol
Lol Hope the move goes well for you
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is slight exaggeration but not too far from reality, particularly the bit about Square One! Unfortunately the nice bits South of the QEW are really expensive, and not all bits South of the QEW are nice.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 7:06 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts in Mississauga will he be working? It's quite a sizeable town, with many commercial/industrial estates some way from anywhere I'd choose to live. Think of its relationship to Toronto as Slough is to London - lots of light industrial/commercial development around the main highway and the airport, some still-quite-pretty bits if you know where to look for them. If work is near the edge of town (up near the airport, for example) then there's really nothing to tie the family to MIssissauga as a home-town; plenty other places would provide no worse a commute and a possibly less concrete-jungle domestic environment. If, conversely, work is south of the QEW highway, there are some lovely neighbourhoods within easy striking distance - I don't know them well but dbd33 (an arch-cynic, by the way, whose opinions should generally be taken with a sizeable pinch of salt but tend to have a germ of truth in them somewhere) speaks well of parts of Port Credit and Clarkson Village.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Whereabouts in Mississauga will he be working? It's quite a sizeable town, with many commercial/industrial estates some way from anywhere I'd choose to live. Think of its relationship to Toronto as Slough is to London - lots of light industrial/commercial development around the main highway and the airport, some still-quite-pretty bits if you know where to look for them. If work is near the edge of town (up near the airport, for example) then there's really nothing to tie the family to MIssissauga as a home-town; plenty other places would provide no worse a commute and a possibly less concrete-jungle domestic environment. If, conversely, work is south of the QEW highway, there are some lovely neighbourhoods within easy striking distance - I don't know them well but dbd33 (an arch-cynic, by the way, whose opinions should generally be taken with a sizeable pinch of salt but tend to have a germ of truth in them somewhere) speaks well of parts of Port Credit and Clarkson Village.
And I, another arch-cynic, endorse that post in it's entirety. Basically, working in Mississauga might be tolerable but living there would not be. (Although there are a few patches as discussed).
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly Mississauga gets tarred with the same brush. If you want to overlook the ‘legoland’ living then you will need to check out the older communities. Not that there is anything wrong with legoland if that is what you like and you already have your eye on a plastic car right! Mississauga is a large municipality as Oakvillian points out, so proximity to your husbands work might be a commuting/living issue. The commute to work might determine some starting points together with your budget.
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Mississauga only has a few 'nice' bits: Streetsville, Clarkson Village and (parts of) Port Credit.

Check them out on mls.ca, but be prepared for a price shock, even when coming from the UK.
Old Sep 24th 2012, 5:18 pm
UCanadian

Cepheus is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been in Canada for 5 weeks now and love it. We live just off Mississauga Road in a rented home and we find the area and people very nice.

We have driven around Oakville (or Spookyville as I Call it) and Sheridan homelands. We may end up in Sheridan homelands as we have friends there.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cepheus
We have been in Canada for 5 weeks now and love it. We live just off Mississauga Road in a rented home and we find the area and people very nice.

We have driven around Oakville (or Spookyville as I Call it) and Sheridan homelands. We may end up in Sheridan homelands as we have friends there.
Just out of interest, why is Oakville "Spookyville"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.