Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

misery at Vancouver housing cost?

Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: misery at Vancouver housing cost?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-03-23/chinese-buy-one-third-of-vancouver-homes-national-bank-estimate
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Chinese Buy One-Third of Vancouver Homes
What's that, a bathroom, kitchen and one other room?

Not many facilities for whoever owns the other two-thirds.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Steven.Vu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What's that, a bathroom, kitchen and one other room?
haha good one...
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steven.Vu
The topic reminds me of an article that I had read and reviewed from Zero Hedge on the topic of UK housing bubble... I think the closest resemblance to the housing issue in Vancouver is the UK. The two major cities do draw a very strong similarity in their housing price pressures from foreign investors, panicked locals trying to up-bid on their new home, etc...

It's a nice read:

Another Bubble Bursts: Ultra Luxury London Home Prices Tumble 12% | Zero Hedge
I think you have hit at a very interesting point. On moving to Van from London everyone here would say its so expensive, how are you finding it. To which I had to honestly reply its a little better than where I was in the UK (London Commuter town). The biggest difference being you don't pay council tax as a renter in Canada and that is in effect free rent money.

Of course Vancouver and London are also very similar in that they both have a problem with lack of space (Vancouver is pretty sitting between the big rivers and the mountains but that makes land the premium not property). Same issue in London and SE England due to concern regarding the greenbelt. Of course in Vancouver this is why properties went up rather than out and that's why Condo prices haven't increased as quickly as detached single homes.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Steven.Vu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I think you have hit at a very interesting point. On moving to Van from London everyone here would say its so expensive, how are you finding it. To which I had to honestly reply its a little better than where I was in the UK (London Commuter town). The biggest difference being you don't pay council tax as a renter in Canada and that is in effect free rent money.

Of course Vancouver and London are also very similar in that they both have a problem with lack of space (Vancouver is pretty sitting between the big rivers and the mountains but that makes land the premium not property). Same issue in London and SE England due to concern regarding the greenbelt. Of course in Vancouver this is why properties went up rather than out and that's why Condo prices haven't increased as quickly as detached single homes.

I think you hit the nail right on the head. I fully agree... The fact is many of those who are relocating their lives from from London / UK, can and will continue to be able to afford the Vancouver lifestyle. More recently, I've come to see a lot of EXPATS deciding to relocate to Victoria island. Which is just as good...quiet community...accessible to Vancouver anytime...Just as beautiful.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 2:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steven.Vu
I think you hit the nail right on the head. I fully agree... The fact is many of those who are relocating their lives from from London / UK, can and will continue to be able to afford the Vancouver lifestyle. More recently, I've come to see a lot of EXPATS deciding to relocate to Victoria island. Which is just as good...quiet community...accessible to Vancouver anytime...Just as beautiful.
That's a stretch.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's a stretch.
I saw float planes in Nanaimo and Victoria. If you had one of those you could fly it to Vancouver whenever the fancy took you.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I saw float planes in Nanaimo and Victoria. If you had one of those you could fly it to Vancouver whenever the fancy took you.
Yes, of course. I meant for us mere mortals. However, even the float planes are constrained by weather.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. Getting from Vancouver Island to the mainland becomes costly so hard for folks to do on a regular basis sometimes.

Not to mention a pain.

Flying is even more cost prohibitive.

Now if rents were cheaper there, we would go as the island is quite nice. But in the larger citys rent isnt any lower then Chilliwack. The toll on the port mann is still cheaper then the ferry.

Rent wise for housing, I didnt find the island any better unless you got to smaller more isolated citys and towns but those are not an option due to lack of employment opportunity.

Anyone ever lived in Switzerland?

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, of course. I meant for us mere mortals. However, even the float planes are constrained by weather.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Anyone ever lived in Switzerland?
My ex-wife and one of my children live in Switzerland. Another child keeps an apartment there but visits only rarely.

As far as I know, none of them has a float plane; some or all of them go to Vancouver a couple of times a year but by commercial jet. That would be a worse commute to Vancouver than it would be from Vancouver Island and it wouldn't save very much, if anything, on the price of property.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

Oh yes. I should add no commute would take place.

My wife wants to live there for 1 or 2 years someday.

She has swiss citizenship from her dad and has family there she rarely gets to see and hasnt been since she was a teenager.

As a child/teen she spent almost as much time in Europe as she did in Canada.

My ex-wife and one of my children live in Switzerland. Another child keeps an apartment there but visits only rarely.

As far as I know, none of them has a float plane; some or all of them go to Vancouver a couple of times a year but by commercial jet. That would be a worse commute to Vancouver than it would be from Vancouver Island and it wouldn't save very much, if anything, on the price of property.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 4:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My wife wants to live there for 1 or 2 years someday.
Then you would be well advised to learn high German, Swiss-German, French, Italian and Romansch, so as to cover all bases.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

I doubt we ever will but if we do, oh boy learning a language will not he easy for me. Never had much success learning Spanish or French.

As for my wife she is fluent in both of the germans but only semi fluent in French but Canadian French. She also speaks some portugese from her year living in Brazil.

Then you would be well advised to learn high German, Swiss-German, French, Italian and Romansch, so as to cover all bases.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 4:58 am
Account Closed

Chilliwack saw another record breaking month for real estate in March.

Record 484 homes sold in the area in March.

Nearly double the sales of March 2015.

Value of the sales 190 million.

168 of the sales were over 300k and 24 over 700k and 4 over 1 million.

Its a sellers market, inventory at an all time low.

Year over year 134% increase in total dollar value.

Prices up 25%.

Even the city of last resort is out of reach now. Lol

(for the record we have given up on ever owning. Not within reach at our income level.)

Continue the stress of being renters. Lol
Old May 6th 2016, 3:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Vancouver London

JS...how about this one?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ondon-property

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.